what is the differnce between the IBM Model M2 and the Model M

glitchmaster0001

Hi so im planning on getting an IBM model M2 or Model M keyboard as my first mechanical keyboard. i was wondering what is the differance between the model m and the model m2. i plan on using the keyboard for typing and maybe light gaming. i dont button mash when i game. or when i game i can just pull out my beater keyboard a thermaltake commander keyboard that i have right now as my main keyboard. so now im wondering what is the difference between the model m and the model m2. thanks 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

The M2's achilles heel is the famous capacitor issue. When it was built, apparently IBM was using very early surface mount components, so the capacitors they used on the controller board didn't last very long. These days, almost every single M2 you buy will have this issue, unless they have been repaired already. It is easy to tell if it has that issue cause when you plug in the keyboard, it won't respond to anything and the caps lock and scroll lock lights will be on constantly. This is the main reason the M2 is so much cheaper than the M. Fixing this problem is actually pretty easy, but taking apart the keyboard itself is a pain in the ass. There are little plastic clips that hold the faceplate to the backplate that break very easily. Which wouldn't be a huge issue, but they are quite integral because there needs to be a decent amount of pressure between everything so the bucking springs can make proper contact with the membranes under them.

The build quality on the M2 is a decent amount worse than the original M. There is no metal anywhere in or on the M2, as opposed to the M which has the big curved steel plate inside. Although it's not a deal breaker for me. I still like my M2.

They both use the buckling spring switches which feel really nice to type on, but apparently the M just feels more robust and has a more satisfying feel. I have never personally used an original M, but I have an M2 and I still like it. Makes sense that the original one would be better though. Also, the keycaps are much more shallow on the M2. Not sure how this affects the typing feel, but it's something to note.

The M2 is also a decent amount smaller than the M so if desk space is a concern, the M2 might be better.

So bottom line is the M is a better option, but they are a lot more expensive. If you are willing to maybe do a bit of soldering and deal with taking apart the M2, that might be a better option because it's cheaper.

If any of the info here is wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.

Here are good video reviews of the M and the M2:

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man