Moving to desktop after Alienware 17. New build feedback, tips and opinions!

Hello everyone.

First time posting here after spending the last couple weeks binge-watching a variety of videos on the youtube channel! 

So as the title suggests, i have an alienware 17 (late 2013 version, i7-4700mq, 16gb ram,  gtx 770m). I got it back then while i was studying abroad(hence needed mobility) for multitasking across adobe software (I am a designer), as well as heavy video editing and some 3D rendering. And of course games. (Mostly Tera at that time). The machine served me amazingly so far and had 0 problems with alienware/dell, at all. But since i am no longer moving across countries, i decided to build a desktop pc. I am already using the laptop as a desktop with external monitor, mouse and keyboard but it has started to feel sluggish and laggy, especially when, for example, having chrome, itunes, photoshop and heavy illustrator files open simultaneously which is a bummer cause they are all required for my workflow. Games don't run as smoothly as i would like to as well. 

I'm gonna follow the suggested forum format to provide required info below:

Spoiler

1. Budget & Location

My budget is 2.000€ (~2200$) max. The parts are being picked on a popular e-store for my country (Greece) which provides a wide range of high-end hardware.

2. Aim

The aim is a lot of adobe software multitasking (sometimes up to 4 apps running heavy files simultaneously) and of course some gaming, but nothing hardcore. Overwatch is definitely on the line and maybe some Tera or Wildstar later on.

3. Monitors

Definitely a single monitor setup. Currently running 1080p generic samsung monitor which will probably be replaced with a 1440p one at some point.

4. Peripherals

No new peripherals required except for windows OS which i am going with windows 10 home 64bit (included in the build below).

5. Why are you upgrading?

Upgrading mostly cause i feel i am abusing the alienware laptop using it as a desktop. Additionally its becoming slow-ish and seems to not be able to handle my workflow and games to my desired standards. Fan noise is also a constant thing despite having it cleaned couple times. And of course upgrading the laptop(if even possible) seems way too risky for my taste and doesn't solve my other problems.

So after all that, these are the parts i have picked that i believe fit my budget and meet my needs (and way beyond that, to avoid spending loads on upgrades the following years).

My main concerns are:

1. Are those parts reasonable picks? (Or something a teenager would pick for an "EPIC BUILD" youtube video)
  2. Are they compatible? (Motherboard was a b*tch to pick. others came easily) 
  3. Am i spending more than i need to on individual parts? (Apart from the case, which is heavily influenced by looks. Designer mindset, can't help it)
  4. Is the PSU an overkill? 

I'm open to any feedback and suggestions for things to change or anything i might be missing building-functionality wise.
/I purposely skipped adding an HDD cause i am planning to add one later on and i'm using externals a lot./

I believe that's all. Thank you for taking time to read through! 

First... wait 1-3 weeks for the GTX 1080 and 1070 to arrive. (27/5/16 and 10/6/16 respectively)

Also that PSU is overpriced... its good... but overpriced, you can make it with a 80€ one for sure.

Save up some money buying win10 from here http://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key?r=8721 . Its legit, i have several PCs working with keys bought here.

Also take into consideration that case is HUGE, just saying :P moving from a laptop to that is a great difference.

Lastly, check out if you can find a NZXT Kraken x61, its better than the H100i.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

14 minutes ago, dimvsd said:

Hello everyone.

First time posting here after spending the last couple weeks binge-watching a variety of videos on the youtube channel! 

So as the title suggests, i have an alienware 17 (late 2013 version, i7-4700mq, 16gb ram,  gtx 770m). I got it back then while i was studying abroad(hence needed mobility) for multitasking across adobe software (I am a designer), as well as heavy video editing and some 3D rendering. And of course games. (Mostly Tera at that time). The machine served me amazingly so far and had 0 problems with alienware/dell, at all. But since i am no longer moving across countries, i decided to build a desktop pc. I am already using the laptop as a desktop with external monitor, mouse and keyboard but it has started to feel sluggish and laggy, especially when, for example, having chrome, itunes, photoshop and heavy illustrator files open simultaneously which is a bummer cause they are all required for my workflow. Games don't run as smoothly as i would like to as well. 

I'm gonna follow the suggested forum format to provide required info below:

Hide contents

1. Budget & Location

My budget is 2.000€ (~2200$) max. The parts are being picked on a popular e-store for my country (Greece) which provides a wide range of high-end hardware.

2. Aim

The aim is a lot of adobe software multitasking (sometimes up to 4 apps running heavy files simultaneously) and of course some gaming, but nothing hardcore. Overwatch is definitely on the line and maybe some Tera or Wildstar later on.

3. Monitors

Definitely a single monitor setup. Currently running 1080p generic samsung monitor which will probably be replaced with a 1440p one at some point.

4. Peripherals

No new peripherals required except for windows OS which i am going with windows 10 home 64bit (included in the build below).

5. Why are you upgrading?

Upgrading mostly cause i feel i am abusing the alienware laptop using it as a desktop. Additionally its becoming slow-ish and seems to not be able to handle my workflow and games to my desired standards. Fan noise is also a constant thing despite having it cleaned couple times. And of course upgrading the laptop(if even possible) seems way too risky for my taste and doesn't solve my other problems.

So after all that, these are the parts i have picked that i believe fit my budget and meet my needs (and way beyond that, to avoid spending loads on upgrades the following years).

My main concerns are:

1. Are those parts reasonable picks? (Or something a teenager would pick for an "EPIC BUILD" youtube video)
  2. Are they compatible? (Motherboard was a b*tch to pick. others came easily) 
  3. Am i spending more than i need to on individual parts? (Apart from the case, which is heavily influenced by looks. Designer mindset, can't help it)
  4. Is the PSU an overkill? 

I'm open to any feedback and suggestions for things to change or anything i might be missing building-functionality wise.
/I purposely skipped adding an HDD cause i am planning to add one later on and i'm using externals a lot./

I believe that's all. Thank you for taking time to read through! 

1. Not the most reasonable, but far from an ¨EPIC BUILD¨ video. 

2. Compatible as far as I know.

3/4. The M.2 SSD is overkill. While they are a good deal faster, that´s pretty much there only benefit. Unless you´re somehow going to be able to use all it´s bandwidth, wise to go with a standard SATA SSD. I want to say the PSU, but I´m not so sure what the prices of others are on the website, so I can´t be certain on that. Same goes for the 970. I´d say get a 390 instead, but I don´t know prices so yeah. The rest is a big maybe for the same reason.

7 minutes ago, Xaring said:

First... wait 1-3 weeks for the GTX 1080 and 1070 to arrive. (27/5/16 and 10/6/16 respectively)

Also that PSU is overpriced... its good... but overpriced, you can make it with a 80€ one for sure.

Save up some money buying win10 from here http://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key?r=8721 . Its legit, i have several PCs working with keys bought here.

Also take into consideration that case is HUGE, just saying :P moving from a laptop to that is a great difference.

Lastly, check out if you can find a NZXT Kraken x61, its better than the H100i.

You know Greece pricing? Sweet, that should help.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

You know Greece pricing? Sweet, that should help.

Im spanish, so yes, i know our pricings :P

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

2 minutes ago, Xaring said:

Im spanish, so yes, i know our pricings :P

Last I checked Greek =/= Spanish.

Yes but we still are some of the most punished European countries.