Upgrade GPU now or wait?

Dravic

Hi, what should I do:

Radeon 7970 for 300€, 7950 for 230 or wait for the new rebadges of Radeon gpus which will be more expensive due to "brand new" taxes? Talking about Vapor-X and TwinfrozR cooler solutions, nonghz editions.

I also need a new power supply, perhaps I will grab a 850w Gold for 100€.

Ideas?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Wait for R9 290x

Too expensive. ;/

WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

We know that r9 270 is 200$ and 280 is 300$, so in europe they will cost at LEAST 200€/300€. Don't need it now but look what I have in my system. Bear with me...

270 - 7950 rebadge.

280 - 7970 rebadge.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I don't know why people are starting to call new amd cards rebadges, this isn't nvidia. Completely new core and also a die shrink.

Nope.avi and False.jpg

I don't know why people are starting to call new amd cards rebadges, this isn't nvidia. Completely new core and also a die shrink.

They seemed to imply it was still GCN architecture.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

They seemed to imply it was still GCN architecture.

Yea but just because they have the same trademarked architecture name doesn't mean anything, you HAVE to change certain things with a die shrink, not only that they have a completely new name for the cores. They are not a rebadge.

Holy fanboy batman! The new cards use the same architecture and the same die size, and Nvidia emulates what Intel does, tick-tock.

If you've waited since the 9xxx series, I think you can wait for another month.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Too expensive. ;/

The point is that older cards should be cheaper when the new ones come out.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you've waited since the 9xxx series, I think you can wait for another month.

I'm actually scared of price increase of the older radeons instead of a price dropping since New radeons rebadges will be more expensive than what we can buy now in europe, that's the main problem I have.

The point is that older cards should be cheaper when the new ones come out.

I'm actually scared of price increase of the older radeons instead of a price dropping since New radeons rebadges will be more expensive than what we can buy now in europe, that's the main problem I have.

I'm thinking the older cards should start another drop in price a week or so when the new cards hit the market. I'm debating on getting a 7950 then or when black friday rolls around. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Holy fanboy batman! The new cards use the same architecture and the same die size, and Nvidia emulates what Intel does, tick-tock.

You can call me a fanboy all you want kid but until we have details released by amd I'm calling bs on the rebadge rumor.

You can call me a fanboy all you want kid but until we have details released by amd I'm calling bs on the rebadge rumor.

Seems like we have lots of rebadges and two new cores. High end Hawaii and low-end something. Else explain why their new audio feature will only be available on low end and high end but not midend? Because midend is rebadge of old cores...

You wouldn't need a 850w gold unless you are planning to crossfire imo. A decent 650w psu from XFX, Seasonic, or Corsair with 80+ bronze or higher certification would be enough. I would wait for the benchmarks of the new cards to release before deciding whether to get a 7950/7970 or the new R9 cards imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You wouldn't need a 850w gold unless you are planning to crossfire imo. A decent 650w psu from XFX, Seasonic, or Corsair with 80+ bronze or higher certification would be enough. I would wait for the benchmarks of the new cards to release before deciding whether to get a 7950/7970 or the new R9 cards imo.

Obviously when I change a PSU i change to such overpower that will not hold me back if I want to do Crossfire, silly! :DDD

It's always wait wait wait with these people.

I've seen enough last night. I say buy the 7970, and if you can get the ghz edition all the better. All the new goodies will be suported on it. Also, a good modular PSU with 760w should be enough, but if you can squeeze in a nice 850-860w modular it would be even better.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

It's always wait wait wait with these people.

I've seen enough last night. I say buy the 7970, and if you can get the ghz edition all the better. All the new goodies will be suported on it. Also, a good modular PSU with 760w should be enough, but if you can squeeze in a nice 850-860w modular it would be even better.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LEPA/G850-MAS/

50€ cheaper than HX-850 :x (100€ vs 150€).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LEPA/G850-MAS/

50€ cheaper than HX-850 :x (100€ vs 150€).

Let it be said I have no knowledge of this PSU. But 50euros will get you a better card :D

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Let it be said I have no knowledge of this PSU. But 50euros will get you a better card :D

Well obviously the review says it's excellent so I guess i can trust it. It's really cheap for Polish store to sell 850w 80+ Gold which is rock solid on all rails for 100€ ;x

Well obviously the review says it's excellent so I guess i can trust it. It's really cheap for Polish store to sell 850w 80+ Gold which is rock solid on all rails for 100€ ;x

Cheap for anywhere in europe I'd say... :) That's what worries me a bit... But a PSU is a PSU, and if the reviews and forums say it's good then there's nothing to be shy about. ;)

Too expensive. ;/

How do you know that? It's not even out yet.

Or do you mean for you?  :huh: