Windows forced an upgrade. Now no internet

DimitriBrut

Last night windows took it upon itself to upgrade from 7 to 10 without prompting me. It just kicked me out of what I was doing and went to town. Since I knew it would take several hours, I went to bed. I woke up this morning to the Windows 10 setup. This was frustrating, since I had no intention of upgrading. When I got to the terms of service, I declined and it reverted back to 7 (score one for the home team). However, now I cannot connect to the Internet. Can anyone help me out? 

Ethernet. I've already tried diagnosing with Windows and reset the router. Everything else in the house is online. How do I get the drivers? 

6 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Make sure you have the right drivers,  Wifi or ethernet?

56 minutes ago, DimitriBrut said:

Ethernet. I've already tried diagnosing with Windows and reset the router. Everything else in the house is online. How do I get the drivers? 

Press "start" and the "r" at the same time, it will brig up a dialogue box , in hear type "dxdiag" and hit enter, it will bring up windows about your system look down the list for system model, copy the system model into Google and find the motherboard site and find the driver section

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

Make sure you have the right drivers,  Wifi or ethernet?

Figured it out. Had to download the drivers onto a USB with my tablet and then onto my PC. What a pain though. How dare Windows not give me the option to decline. They're getting pretty cutthroat with the Windows 10 agenda

Yeah that's why I turned off windows update, I hate windows 10 with a passion

1 minute ago, DimitriBrut said:

Figured it out. Had to download the drivers onto a USB with my tablet and then onto my PC. What a pain though. How dare Windows not give me the option to decline. They're getting pretty cutthroat with the Windows 10 agenda

Cool, sorry I could not reply quicker

2 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Cool, sorry I could not reply quicker

You steered me in the right direction. And that's all I needed. I really appreciate the help!

2 hours ago, DimitriBrut said:

I think i may know what happened here... what happened to me was, a few days ago, i turn on pc after i didn't for the weekend, and it popped up the "update to windows 10!!!!!" shit.  i was about to close it, but i noticed something different.... windows-10-and-the-x-100661228-large.idge_.jpg

i was in shock...   I quickly googled it, and found out how to disable this.  but you might have closed it, and not noticed this, or didn't open your computer a few days, and missed it, and it already started the upgrade as you turned on your pc.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

theres a link that explains it.  sneaky bastards.

10 hours ago, never_here said:

I think i may know what happened here... what happened to me was, a few days ago, i turn on pc after i didn't for the weekend, and it popped up the "update to windows 10!!!!!" shit.  i was about to close it, but i noticed something different.... windows-10-and-the-x-100661228-large.idge_.jpg

i was in shock...   I quickly googled it, and found out how to disable this.  but you might have closed it, and not noticed this, or didn't open your computer a few days, and missed it, and it already started the upgrade as you turned on your pc.

you don't want windows 10 then turn off automatic updates and unitstall the windows 10 culprit ones , normally available on google 

On 5/20/2016 at 2:05 PM, never_here said:

This is exactly what happened. At least, I assume it is. I would always just X out of the pop up. It got to be my normal routine. I stopped reading the damn thing after a while. Shame on you Microsoft... Shame.

17 hours ago, DimitriBrut said:

This is exactly what happened. At least, I assume it is. I would always just X out of the pop up. It got to be my normal routine. I stopped reading the damn thing after a while. Shame on you Microsoft... Shame.

ya, i had a friend actually just yesterday had the same issue.  Most people just closed the damn thing, myself included.  I was just lucky enough to notice something was different, and actually read that window.  

Also to note the guy before, i could turn off auto updates, but update and upgrade are 2 entirely different things.  I dont mind microsoft updating my computer for security patches and what not.  That is perfectly fine for me, other than the fact it auto restarts my pc once in a while.  But to auto upgrade me to a new OS?  That is ridiculous, and should NOT be automatic.  Security updates, and OS upgrades are NOT the same thing, and should not be categorized, nor classified as the same thing.

On 5/26/2016 at 11:41 AM, never_here said:

ya, i had a friend actually just yesterday had the same issue.  Most people just closed the damn thing, myself included.  I was just lucky enough to notice something was different, and actually read that window.  

Also to note the guy before, i could turn off auto updates, but update and upgrade are 2 entirely different things.  I dont mind microsoft updating my computer for security patches and what not.  That is perfectly fine for me, other than the fact it auto restarts my pc once in a while.  But to auto upgrade me to a new OS?  That is ridiculous, and should NOT be automatic.  Security updates, and OS upgrades are NOT the same thing, and should not be categorized, nor classified as the same thing.

Right. And apparently, they sneaked this little change in with a security update. It's shady.... Been doing some research on it.

On 28/05/2016 at 9:17 PM, DimitriBrut said:

Right. And apparently, they sneaked this little change in with a security update. It's shady.... Been doing some research on it.

omfg, i totally forgot to inform my girlfriend about this, and her laptop upgraded over the weekend.   xD.  But it was annoying.  She had to do some group project that needed to be presented next day... Took her laptop 2 hours to fully update.  Luckily, it didn't have wifi/ethernet issues, but still took away 2 hours of her time.  Unfortunately, none of her files were saved on the cloud...  But its pretty dumb.  The laptop just shut down while she was still doing something on office word, and started upgrading.  No warning, or anything.  I mean, there probably was a scheduled upgrade, but man, its ridiculous.  

7 hours ago, never_here said:

omfg, i totally forgot to inform my girlfriend about this, and her laptop upgraded over the weekend.   xD.  But it was annoying.  She had to do some group project that needed to be presented next day... Took her laptop 2 hours to fully update.  Luckily, it didn't have wifi/ethernet issues, but still took away 2 hours of her time.  Unfortunately, none of her files were saved on the cloud...  But its pretty dumb.  The laptop just shut down while she was still doing something on office word, and started upgrading.  No warning, or anything.  I mean, there probably was a scheduled upgrade, but man, its ridiculous.  

Yeah... I feel your pain brother. I really do. Needless to say, I've warned everyone I know about this.