1151 board with bent pins

Hello, how are you?

so I got a board with some bent pins on the socket.

they are not broken or missing, just not aligned with the others.

i am wondering if I try to straighten them with a needle, how can I know if it worked?

if I place a CPU on the socket and the system boots it's fine? Or can there be subsequent issues even if the system boots fine?

also, any risk to damaging the CPU testing this?

thanks.

cheers!

You can try bending the pins with a needle. Some of the pads on the bottom of the processor are just GND connections so if you're lucky they won't matter much. Do be cautious though. If any of the pins in the socket short with each other or a pin you fix is bent in a fashion where it touches a different pad it could hurt the CPU or motherboard. If it concerns you to try and fix it yourself you should be able to request an RMA if you just bought it new.

if you bend them back and it posts, then job done. run a stress test for an hour ish to test stability

Instead of a needle, I suggest that u bent the pont straight with a pair of tweezers. It is far easier than needles.

return it

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

20 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Hello, how are you?

so I got a board with some bent pins on the socket.

they are not broken or missing, just not aligned with the others.

i am wondering if I try to straighten them with a needle, how can I know if it worked?

if I place a CPU on the socket and the system boots it's fine? Or can there be subsequent issues even if the system boots fine?

also, any risk to damaging the CPU testing this?

thanks.

cheers!

Might be a better idea just to RMA.

Generally speaking, as long as the pins line up with the pads on the CPU and they still have some "spring", it should work ok. That is, as long as the pins are not so bent that they touch each other, or are jammed in position, they should make contact and work ok.

Also, as long as it POSTs and seems to run properly, it should be OK, but there could be a case where some pin that you're not using is not working and you wouldn't know. Say, for example, some connection to do with the internal graphics.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

RMA seems to be the most responsible answer, I agree with what the others have suggested not worth the chance of killing other hardware.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit