nexus 5x+ project fi

Sambo656

I am trying to get a good phone for cheap and i am wondering if i could possibly buy a nexus 5x with the project fi thing so that it only costs 200$. Then i would not use the Fi and instead use a tmobile chip instead. Can this be done?

I would say yes, but I would recommend using project Fi, as coverage is superior, and it is hard to beat the whole "Get a credit for your next bill from the data you don't use.

3 minutes ago, CodenameScorpion said:

I would say yes, but I would recommend using project Fi, as coverage is superior, and it is hard to beat the whole "Get a credit for your next bill from the data you don't use.

could i swap out the sim card and switch networks if i wanted to?

14 hours ago, CodenameScorpion said:

Project fi is extremely expensive. Anyways, in order to get the cheaper nexus price, you have to have one month of service with Google and then you can cancel it. 

19 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

In what way is it extremely expensive? It's cheap, unless you use like 8gb per month. They literally put money back into your account for what you don't use. I pay $50 upfront, and was repaid $25 since I only used 1.5gb.

Project fi is 20+10 for every gigabyte of data. Being a normal user, I need around 3gb of data which translates to 50 dollars. I pay only 44 on verizon after taxes and fees including the installment plan for my s7 for 3gb of data. Project fi is simply too expensive and the phone options are extremely limited. 

Edit: alternatively, if I were to use tmobile Walmart plan, I would get 5gb of lte and unlimited Netflix, youtube, and music streaming for 30 plus the monthly cost of the s7 which although more expensive, amounts to a better value.  

2 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

Project fi is 20+10 for every gigabyte of data. Being a normal user, I need around 3gb of data which translates to 50 dollars. I pay only 44 on verizon after taxes and fees including the installment plan for my s7 for 3gb of data. Project fi is simply too expensive and the phone options are extremely limited. 

Edit: alternatively, if I were to use tmobile Walmart plan, I would get 5gb of lte and unlimited Netflix, youtube, and music streaming for 30 plus the monthly cost of the s7 which although more expensive, amounts to a better value.  

so as you said earlier, i could possibly buy this phone with project fi which saves like 150$ and after a month if i find its too expensive, i could end my service and switch?

46 minutes ago, Sambo656 said:

so as you said earlier, i could possibly buy this phone with project fi which saves like 150$ and after a month if i find its too expensive, i could end my service and switch?

Yes. Keep in mind that with the Fi service, you will have a new number so you're friends may have difficulty contacting you. If in the end, you do decide to switch to Fi, I recall them allowing you to port your number over, you might have to look up the details for that. 

I have liked project Fi so far actually.  It uses T-Mobile and sprints network so you get to use them anyhow.  Bills are cheap and I was able to port my number over to them.  You do not have to get a new number.

On 5/20/2016 at 9:47 PM, Sambo656 said:

could i swap out the sim card and switch networks if i wanted to?

Yes you can. It says on the website if you want to switch carriers you just put their sim card in since the phone comes "factory" unlocked.

On 5/20/2016 at 5:49 PM, kurahk7 said:

Yes. Keep in mind that with the Fi service, you will have a new number so you're friends may have difficulty contacting you. If in the end, you do decide to switch to Fi, I recall them allowing you to port your number over, you might have to look up the details for that. 

You can use your current number on Fi.

3 hours ago, CodenameScorpion said:

You can use your current number on Fi.

He doesn't want to terminate his current plan and number.