2-way 980ti sli bottleneck?

So I have an i7 3770k that is currently overclocked to 4.4GHz, would I be able to run two 980ti's in SLI without being bottlenecked? I'm curious because as we all know the 980ti's are coming down in price quite a lot due to the announcement of the 1080. Thanks guys!

1 minute ago, zombieaays2suck said:

So I have an i7 3770k that is currently overclocked to 4.4GHz, would I be able to run two 980ti's in SLI without being bottlenecked? I'm curious because as we all know the 980ti's are coming down in price quite a lot due to the announcement of the 1080. Thanks guys!

While you could, would you actually benefit from it?

If you don't have a 1440 144hz or 4k monitor already, there's no reason to get a 980ti SLI, a single card would be enough for that already. And if you'll be going for a multi monitor config, forget the 980tis and get a single 1080, it'll be better for you.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

If you can get two 1080s for less than 600 bucks, you should be fine.

Otherwise I'd just get the 1080. You don't have to deal with SLI then.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

3 minutes ago, zombieaays2suck said:

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

Unless you are buying them used, there will barely be any change in price of the 980ti's. I have no idea why people think this will happen. It has never happened and will never happened.

Now that that is over, you will unlikely be able to run them to a point (outside of benchmarks) where either component is bottlenecking each other. Although, a 1080 will be better than 2x980ti's, as SLI has diminishing returns. The more cards you add, the lesser the benefit

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

11 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Although, a 1080 will be better than 2x980ti's, as SLI has diminishing returns. The more cards you add, the lesser the benefit

Just one point: 2 980ti's in SLI are more effective than a single 1080 in nearly every single scenario. You can check recent benchmarking videos. Simple 980SLI is comparable (more/less effective in different scenarios, mostly depending on whether 4k and/or DirectX12 is involved)

I know that if I want it to be cheaper and or around the same price the cards will need to be used. I also know that it will not be as effective as a single card. What I am wondering is if my cpu would bottleneck the cards. Also I plan to have a 4 monitor setup with either a rog swift or acer predator. 

What I am wondering is if my cpu would bottleneck the cards. Also I plan to have a 4 monitor setup with either a rog swift or acer predator. 

At such insane resolution, the CPU won't be a problem. You bet that GPU power is what will hold you back.

Just remember: if you are going for multi monitor, get the 1080. No questions asked.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

At such insane resolution, the CPU won't be a problem. You bet that GPU power is what will hold you back.

Just remember: if you are going for multi monitor, get the 1080. No questions asked.

Sorry I meant to say a single rog swift or predator. Also what would the benefit of a single 1080 over two 980ti's be in terms of a multiple monitor setup?

Sorry I meant to say a single rog swift or predator. Also what would the benefit of a single 1080 over two 980ti's be in terms of a multiple monitor setup?

The 1080 has Simultaneous Multi-Projection support, with can help fixing stretching on multi-monitor setups.

Just now, Imakuni said:

The 1080 has Simultaneous Multi-Projection support, with can help fixing stretching on multi-monitor setups.

But with that wouldn't it mainly be used in surround gaming? What I plan on doing is have the swift/predator as my main gaming monitor then the others for other applications, so in what way would that benefit me?

But with that wouldn't it mainly be used in surround gaming?

Yes. Which is what I meant when I made my post.

If oyu are using the other monitors only as auxiliary rather than main ones, that specific reason shouldn't be of your concern.