PS4 speed ≠ PC speed

FruitBasketSilex
Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,
5 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Then PSN must have some trash ass american servers if what you say is true.

WNR2000V3

I am given 60/4(8?) by my ISP, and quite frequently experience marginally above that (up to 70mbps) I'll try the wired PS4 in a moment, should be easy, because my PS4 sits about a foot and a half above my PC.

Try wired, then come back. AFAIK the PS4 has N wireless and will be capped to probably 54Mbits if it isn't close to the router

62dcaffd5d.jpg

That is my nominal internet speed on my PC, usually resulting in about 8mbyte/s download speed, when I download things on my computer, it works normally and everything, but my PS4 refuses to go beyond much more than 1mbyte/s. I ran the standard PS4 network test, and it told me 8.3mbit/s and 2.2mbit/s for D/U respectively.

I have tried forwarding all of the correct ports for the PS4 (pictured below)

e2e9210ac2.png

Is there any way I can get my PS4 to fully utilize my internet speed, or I am I just SOL?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Is the PS4 wired or wireless? If wired, have you tried another cable?

1 minute ago, Scheer said:

Is the PS4 wired or wireless? If wired, have you tried another cable?

Wireless, PC is wired, but there is no way in hell that the short wireless distance to the router, on unobstructed channels is the cause.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Out of your hands. Speedtest.net looks for the nearest server in your region, of many.. On the PS4, it's probably connected to a server for your country/region (ie Eastern Europe, etc). 

That's just my assumption.

idk

2 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Wireless, PC is wired, but there is no way in hell that the short wireless distance to the router, on unobstructed channels is the cause.

Move the PS4 to your PC, plug it into the ethernet, and report your speeds.

There are multiple ways in hell that a short distance from a router will still have terrible speeds.

Router model?

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Out of your hands. Speedtest.net looks for the nearest server in your region, of many.. On the PS4, it's probably connected to a server for your country/region (ie Eastern Europe, etc). 

That's just my assumption.

1 minute ago, Scheer said:

Move the PS4 to your PC, plug it into the ethernet, and report your speeds.

There are multiple ways in hell that a short distance from a router will still have terrible speeds.

Router model?

WNR2000V3

I am given 60/4(8?) by my ISP, and quite frequently experience marginally above that (up to 70mbps) I'll try the wired PS4 in a moment, should be easy, because my PS4 sits about a foot and a half above my PC.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

WNR2000V3

Going hard wired will just be an easy troubleshooting step, should the speed be the same you know it is either the speedtest server, something in the routers firewall, or the PS4 itself. If the speed is much faster when wired you know the issue is with the wireless. Could be the router or PS4 going bad, the positioning of the devices/appliances nearby, or just lots of noise on that band. A Wifi analyzer app on your phone is NOT going to test your area properly, it only sees WiFi points.

5 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

WNR2000V3

Try wired, then come back. AFAIK the PS4 has N wireless and will be capped to probably 54Mbits if it isn't close to the router

idk

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

Going hard wired will just be an easy troubleshooting step, should the speed be the same you know it is either the speedtest server, something in the routers firewall, or the PS4 itself. If the speed is much faster when wired you know the issue is with the wireless. Could be the router or PS4 going bad, the positioning of the devices/appliances nearby, or just lots of noise on that band. A Wifi analyzer app on your phone is NOT going to test your area properly, it only sees WiFi points.

Going wired fixed the speed issue. However, I don't have a second cable for the PS4 to use, so I'll just use the wifi for now, I don't use my PS4 a whole lot anyways, just have a large warframe update to download. (17gb) will just use wifi until I move in ~3wk

Spoiler