BIOS menu doesn't detect drive, select boot device does

steezemageeze

I have two 1TB WD Blues in my rig. One has Windows 10 on it, the other has Linux Mint on it. The machine defaults to booting the drive with Windows, forcing me to hit F12 if I want to boot my Mint drive. However, GRUB allows me to choose to boot Windows from the other drive, so I want to set the second drive to be the default drive. The problem is, that drive doesn't show up in the UEFI when I try to change the boot order (I can choose from the ODD, Windows drive, or the random laptop HDD I stuck in there), even though it shows up just fine from the "Select Boot Device" menu. Previously, it was the other way around, but I repartitioned the drives and now they've switched places.

This is on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H with an Athlon X4 860K. I don't know what could be causing this

EDIT: Chromebook is about to die and I'm at school, so I'll check this thread in a few hours

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

maybe you just have to scroll down on the sata port view thingy. it makes no sense that bios wouldn't detect your drive but then boot select would. it makes no sense. bios has to detect it.

Changing the order the Sata plugs are ordered on the motherboard (Sata_1, Sata_2) could possibly help. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

54 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I have two 1TB WD Blues in my rig. One has Windows 10 on it, the other has Linux Mint on it. The machine defaults to booting the drive with Windows, forcing me to hit F12 if I want to boot my Mint drive. However, GRUB allows me to choose to boot Windows from the other drive, so I want to set the second drive to be the default drive. The problem is, that drive doesn't show up in the UEFI when I try to change the boot order (I can choose from the ODD, Windows drive, or the random laptop HDD I stuck in there), even though it shows up just fine from the "Select Boot Device" menu. Previously, it was the other way around, but I repartitioned the drives and now they've switched places.

This is on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H with an Athlon X4 860K. I don't know what could be causing this

EDIT: Chromebook is about to die and I'm at school, so I'll check this thread in a few hours

In order for the boot menu to detect the drive the BIOS has to know its there first during the POST when it checks the present hardware. If your BIOS dosent detect it. The boot menu dosent either.

I'll try moving the SATA plugs around. I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm telling you, there are only three options in the drop-down menu for the boot order. Now that I think of it, the second drive does show up on the "override boot order" menu within the UEFI. I really don't know what the problem is here. I'll look around when I get home

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

IMG_20160518_172124545.jpgIMG_20160518_171928114.jpgIMG_20160518_171911852.jpg

This is what I'm seeing. In the Boot Override and the SATA configuration, the Linux drive (that's the "22BN.." one) show up. However, when I try to change the boot order, the only options I have are the optical drive, the Windows drive, and the random laptop HDD I have in there.

I'm guessing it's because there's no UEFI compatible bootloader on that drive.

12 minutes ago, PalladianPD said:

I'm guessing it's because there's no UEFI compatible bootloader on that drive.

That's a real possibility... I'm not entirely sure I installed Mint in UEFI mode. I might just continue dealing with it in that case