Stock i5 Fan

hazzerjt

How loud is the stock i5 fan and what other ones would you recommend? I am mainly thinking about how quiet it is, as I won't be overclocking (i5 6500).

i think its a matter of how you look at it, the non overclockable cpus work fine with the stock cooler.

and i dont particularly mind the sound of it. it does make some noise tho

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

Loud but okay

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

16 minutes ago, hazzerjt said:

How loud is the stock i5 fan and what other ones would you recommend? I am mainly thinking about how quiet it is, as I won't be overclocking (i5 6500).

Though the stock cooler is okay, it is not exactly low RPM in its slowest speed. Therefore it is kind of hearable in idle. Even because the stock cooler is quite small. The sound though is not annoying, it sounds like a slight buzz (Do you say this?)

So: The stock cooler is okay, alternatively I would suggest a look on the Cryorig H7. It is very good for its size and the fan is able to work in a range from around 400RPM up to 1700 or so.

EDIT: Someone will for sure mention the Hyper Evo 212 ;)

Edited by annoyingmoments

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

well, instead i'll explain how the stock cooler happened:

intel needed a cooler that was cheap (duh.) and could suffice in cooling their chips.

the result is the stock intel cooler, which basicly keeps the chip within spec, with acceptable acoustics.

the result is a small, rather unsightly heatsink that does its job, but also does nothing more.

it can be relatively quiet.  If your gaming, or doing something CPU intensive, you'll probably hear it.  But if your just watching a movie, youtubing, stalking your friends on facebook, i dont think you'll really hear it, unless ur pc is on ur desk, 2 feet from your ears, and has holes on the side of the case for a fan you'll never put there.

Even if you are gaming, most people use a headset nowadays, so, i doubt it be an issue there too.  Even with speakers, 10 year old kids > explosions > fan noise.  

But if your like me, who wants pure silence... then, you'll need more than just a different CPU fan.  They might be cheaply made, but they aren't complete crap.  

6 minutes ago, never_here said:

it can be relatively quiet.  If your gaming, or doing something CPU intensive, you'll probably hear it.  But if your just watching a movie, youtubing, stalking your friends on facebook, i dont think you'll really hear it, unless ur pc is on ur desk, 2 feet from your ears, and has holes on the side of the case for a fan you'll never put there.

Even if you are gaming, most people use a headset nowadays, so, i doubt it be an issue there too.  Even with speakers, 10 year old kids > explosions > fan noise.  

But if your like me, who wants pure silence... then, you'll need more than just a different CPU fan.  They might be cheaply made, but they aren't complete crap.  

I'll mainly be gaming with it, and although I will use headphones it'll be about 1 foot away from me as my carpet is extremely thick

i'd say, try it out.  I mean, if your on a budget, i dont see an issue using it, considering you have headphones too.  I haven't personally used the 'i5' stock cooler, as i've used a 3rd party cooler on my home built ones, but the offices i build for g3220 chips are all on stock.  When i did some test, they weren't bad.  I can't imagine i5 and g3220 coolers are all THAT different.   

Honestly, i'd use the stock one, and change it only if it bothers you.  Its not hard to change it later, but if you have like $30 to spend, i'd use it though.  Since it is 1feet away from you, i'd say it might be worth it.  It'll also keep your cpu cooler in general, which may help it in other ways.

Lastly, regarding your carpet.  Carpets aren't like, death for pc.  Honestly, i have more dust in my pc on my hardwood vs carpet atm.  To put it on your carpet, and not damage anything in general, check your PSU location.  If it is on the bottom, you'll need to make sure the fan is facing up.  If it is facing up, it is no longer taking air from the bottom, which is where the carpet would be.  And thats really it.  You can add dust filters if your pc doesn't have any.  In general, wont help all that much, but its nice to have.  You'll still need to clean your pc once in a while, but you'll have a much more silent PC as its under your desk, or elsewhere in general, and you'll have more room on your desk.  =)

**i also taped up all the holes on the bottom of case that may some may use for water cooler fans and what not.  I hate dust.  But no matter what you do, it'll find your pc internals, =_=

15 minutes ago, never_here said:

i'd say, try it out.  I mean, if your on a budget, i dont see an issue using it, considering you have headphones too.  I haven't personally used the 'i5' stock cooler, as i've used a 3rd party cooler on my home built ones, but the offices i build for g3220 chips are all on stock.  When i did some test, they weren't bad.  I can't imagine i5 and g3220 coolers are all THAT different.   

Honestly, i'd use the stock one, and change it only if it bothers you.  Its not hard to change it later, but if you have like $30 to spend, i'd use it though.  Since it is 1feet away from you, i'd say it might be worth it.  It'll also keep your cpu cooler in general, which may help it in other ways.

Lastly, regarding your carpet.  Carpets aren't like, death for pc.  Honestly, i have more dust in my pc on my hardwood vs carpet atm.  To put it on your carpet, and not damage anything in general, check your PSU location.  If it is on the bottom, you'll need to make sure the fan is facing up.  If it is facing up, it is no longer taking air from the bottom, which is where the carpet would be.  And thats really it.  You can add dust filters if your pc doesn't have any.  In general, wont help all that much, but its nice to have.  You'll still need to clean your pc once in a while, but you'll have a much more silent PC as its under your desk, or elsewhere in general, and you'll have more room on your desk.  =)

**i also taped up all the holes on the bottom of case that may some may use for water cooler fans and what not.  I hate dust.  But no matter what you do, it'll find your pc internals, =_=

Thanks a lot for all of the tips

In good case it won't bother you that much. If it does start to bother you, getting sub-$40 cooler will solve that issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv