Streaming Video

Hi!  I got the Sony WX500 back in late March, and I was curious if I could stream video with it to Youtube.  I know with cameras specifically for video that cost $1000+ you definitely can, but what about my camera?  It can shoot 1080p video at quality unmatched by probably any webcam, so it would be cool if I could stream this over my internet connection.  Yes, this does have an HDMI output.  What is the cheapest setup to get this to stream?  I have OBS and I know that can stream ;), but what peripherals do I need for this?

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

I'm not sure, but you can probably just add a Video Capture Device in OBS sources and you're good to go.

So in other words, you shouldn't need anything besides your computer, camera, and HDMI cable.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Ok, maybe that would work.  Some say you need an encoder.  BTW, where would I plug the HDMI into?  My GPU?  Sounds a bit silly ;P

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

1 minute ago, bobdabiulder said:

Ok, maybe that would work.  Some say you need an encoder.  BTW, where would I plug the HDMI into?  My GPU?  Sounds a bit silly ;P

Good point. You'd need a capture card. Does the camera have USB maybe?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, bobdabiulder said:

A capture card. Your cpu or a hardware encoder can encode the HDMI stream. The quality depends on how good the cpu/encoder is.

My camera has micro USB, but it can only do Auto/MTP/Mass Storage.  It doesn't appear to be able to output any sort of video through USB.  I don't have a cable that works with the micro HDMI output, so I can't try that right now, but I hope it would work.  What all would I need for this setup?

Here's what you need:

Camera -> (Micro HDMI - HDMI) cable -> capture card -> connection -> computer -> streaming software.

You just have to make sure the camera can output a live HDMI stream instead of only playing back what's already recorded on the memory card.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Capture card suggestion please?  A few products would be good, preferably at least 1-2 lower budget, and one high budget so I can see the differences :)  thanks

2 minutes ago, bobdabiulder said:

Capture card suggestion please?  A few products would be good, preferably at least 1-2 lower budget, and one high budget so I can see the differences :)  thanks

Depending on your budget, it may be worth it to just get a 720p/1080p webcam. It will simplify the whole process. And to be honest, between the compression of the outbound stream and then on Twitch/YouTube, a nicer camera will help, but it doesn't have to be cinema-quality to keep people watching. It's more about the content than the quality of the image (that goes for all photography, videography, cinematography). I found a crappy 480p webcam in my attic the other day and setup a little test stream. It doesn't look incredible, but good enough until I get a replacement. I want to use my GH2, but I'd rather have a dedicated stream rig for that. If you're only trying to capture your camera footage, a slightly older capture card that only supports 1080p @ 30fps rather than 1080p @ 60fps

Depending on what you want to stream, you may want/need an audio mixer. Much easier to adjust your game, mic and any other audio input sources on that than on your computer.

Please read my previous post.  I now know what I would need, but I need names or something of actual capture cards that are pretty cheap...

19 hours ago, bobdabiulder said:

Please read my previous post.  I now know what I would need, but I need names or something of actual capture cards that are pretty cheap...

just get a c920, it takes awesome video for a webcam

but anyway, ANY HDMI capture card, just go on amazon or google or whatever wherever you live and find the cheapest one, they all do the same thing

The video game capture cards will also work so elgato hd, the live gamer portable, etc etc or a blackmagic capture card

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii