Pascal on PCI Express 2.0

Go to solution Solved by Mohenjo,

If anything itll be minimal. 

Hey,

Five years ago I've bought i7 2600, Ripjaws 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB and 750W PSU.

Over time I've changed HDD to SSD, crappy 1080p display to Asus PB287Q 4k + LG 34UC97C dual display (which much more than my GPU can handle and causes lots of headaches) and I'm waiting for Pascal to upgrade.

The thing is I don't want to upgrade the entire PC, only interested in buying a single GeForce 1080 (I'm mostly playing on that curved LG, 4k display is for programming only)

The problem is with PCI Express 2.0. I know those cards aren't out yet but Linus' video on PCI-E didn't show much difference on Titans. On the other hand, those new GPUs have much faster memory.
Do you think PCI Express 2.0 16x will bottleneck 1080? Will it be noticeable on 3440x1440?

If anything itll be minimal. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Only causes real issues when you step into SLI territory so you're probably safe. Well deserved upgrade at this point!

Desktop ("White Bread") -

• Corsair 760T
  • i7 5820k
  • NHD15 
  • Gigabyte 970 
  • 32GB Vengeance LPX 2666mhz 
  • Samsung Evo 512GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Thanks for your answers! I'm really looking forward to this upgrade because right now I'm stuck with 4k at 30Hz (AMD told me that even that shouldn't work with 6950 and they were surprised). Besides that I wanted to add more RAM (64 GB should do), but that probably can wait a couple more months. Now let's wait and hunt for those Pascals :) 

I've got (almost) the same monitor as you (34UC87C), but a 970 and I'm in need of the update too. Gaming on it is a dream, especially if the colour is tuned right.

Desktop ("White Bread") -

• Corsair 760T
  • i7 5820k
  • NHD15 
  • Gigabyte 970 
  • 32GB Vengeance LPX 2666mhz 
  • Samsung Evo 512GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Yeah, it's great, but on my 6950 I'm pretty much limited to games at least 2 years old, even though I was surprised that Bioshock Infinite, GTA IV or some more lightweight games like Life is Strange worked well on very high settings in 3440x1440 and Defense Grid 2 could even do 4k. :D 

Update: I've bought GTX 1080 and there little to no difference between my machine the benchmarks I've seen on more modern CPUs. Everything works great :)