QuickTime Security conflicts for Video Editors

Last month it was announced that Apple was no longer supporting QuickTime support for Windows and that QuickTime contains security flaws and should be uninstalled. As a consumer I can see this being no big deal since there are superior playback options like VLC.

As a professional it causes a big problem. I uninstalled QuickTime and no problems that I noticed right away. Then I start working on a video using Adobe Creative Cloud, and Premiere, Media Encoder, and After Effects all became riddled with missing media and unsupported codec errors. The culprit was QuickTime being uninstalled.

Adobe posted this on April 16th, 2016 - "Recently the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team issued Alert (TA16105-A), which recommends Windows users uninstall Apple QuickTime from their computers... Adobe has worked extensively on removing dependencies on QuickTime... we continue to work hard to improve this situation, but have no estimated timeframe for native decode currently... We will provide more information on this as we progress."

Now comes the issue of WINDOWS SECURITY versus FUNCTIONING SOFTWARE.

QuickTime Uninstalled: Security threat removed, Adobe software doesn't function properly so I can not do my job

QuickTime Installed: My system is vulnerable but Adobe Creative Cloud functions and I can do my job

Any other content creators finding it frustrating that in order to work we have to knowingly keep vulnerable software installed on our systems? It's been almost a month since the announcement and so far nothing has been done to provide reassurance to their 7 million paid subscribers. As a long time Apple user I find it somewhat of a burn that they would pull something like this, leaving millions of professionals having to choose between computer security and doing your job. Apple have put Adobe in between a rock and a hard place and I hope a fix is on the immediate horizon but until them I'm stuck running compromised software.

I'd assume the LTT team must be experiencing similar woes in their production process. I'm curious what their fix is for this inconvenience.

3 minutes ago, Sam I Am Not said:

I'd assume the LTT team must be experiencing similar woes in their production process. I'm curious what their fix is for this inconvenience.

I would wager to not use QuickTime related file types in the first place.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

LMG uses Adobe Media Encoder, which is reliant on QuickTime. I assume LMG simply ignored the warning and continues to have QuickTime installed on the encoding server.

@Sam I Am Not, for your own personal use as a video editor: I would suggest creating a Virtual Machine to host the encoding software, then just use QuickTime until Adobe removes all dependencies from Media Encoder. It would minimize the risks and add an additional layer between Qucktime and the rest of your network.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

LMG uses Adobe Media Encoder, which is reliant on QuickTime. I assume LMG simply ignored the warning and continues to have QuickTime installed on the encoding server.

Hmm, did not know that. I never used it as far as I'm aware so I don't have experience with it other than having Quick Time freeze my computer.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I prefer DNxHD but it's not a perfect world and I am constantly getting handed ProRes by clients. Without QuickTime installed I can't even bring the ProRes into Media Encoder and transcode to a more PC friendly codec because the source ProRes file would be unsupported in Media Encoder (and Premiere, After Effects, etc.)

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Hmm, did not know that. I never used it as far as I'm aware so I don't have experience with it other than having Quick Time freeze my computer.

Yeah from a user perspective, QuickTime is entirely unnecessary. From a video editor perspective, it's still a necessary evil.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

@Sam I Am Not, for your own personal use as a video editor: I would suggest creating a Virtual Machine to host the encoding software, then just use QuickTime until Adobe removes all dependencies from Media Encoder. It would minimize the risks and add an additional layer between Qucktime and the rest of your network.

Virtual machines are too much of a hassle and require another license key. Try to sandbox Quicktime and CC.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

3 minutes ago, Sam I Am Not said:

I prefer DNxHD but it's not a perfect world and I am constantly getting handed ProRes by clients. Without QuickTime installed I can't even bring the ProRes into Media Encoder and transcode to a more PC friendly codec because the source ProRes file would be unsupported in Media Encoder (and Premiere, After Effects, etc.)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah from a user perspective, QuickTime is entirely unnecessary. From a video editor perspective, it's still a necessary evil.

So glad I never seriously pursued video editing in a professional setting. It's a nightmare to me.

Just now, TeoIzAwezome said:

Virtual machines are too much of a hassle and require another license key. Try to sandbox Quicktime and CC.

Let's assume he's using Windows. How exactly is he going to sandbox Quicktime and CC, in a way that isn't infinitely more of a hassle then a VM?

Furthermore, he could easily install a trial version of say, Server 2012 R2, which gives you 180 days. Adobe should have their fix out long before 180 days is up. Alternatively, depending on some factors, the OP might be eligible for free product keys from Microsoft Dreamspark.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem for me with having to bring transcoding into the equation is I'm often handed huge amounts of footage and need to have a quick turn around. For example, last month I was given 23.5 hours of footage and needed to have a 3-5 minute video edited from that footage with 5 days to work. Being able to skip the transcoding and immediately jump into the edit is a deal maker for me on a regular basis. I am not fortunate enough to have a 72 thread transcoding beast like LTT Media Group or your suggestion would be ideal.

Just now, Sam I Am Not said:

The problem for me with having to bring transcoding into the equation is I'm often handed huge amounts of footage and need to have a quick turn around. For example, last month I was given 23.5 hours of footage and needed to have a 3-5 minute video edited from that footage with 5 days to work. Being able to skip the transcoding and immediately jump into the edit is a deal maker for me on a regular basis. I am not fortunate enough to have a 72 thread transcoding beast like LTT Media Group or your suggestion would be ideal.

I'm afraid you're likely just going to have to live with QuickTime installed then, and hope Adobe moves their asses real quick.

I would also suggest tweeting and FB posting on Adobe's various Social Media pages, encouraging them to release the fix soon.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Let's assume he's using Windows. How exactly is he going to sandbox Quicktime and CC, in a way that isn't infinitely more of a hassle then a VM?

Furthermore, he could easily install a trial version of say, Server 2012 R2, which gives you 180 days. Adobe should have their fix out long before 180 days is up. Alternatively, depending on some factors, the OP might be eligible for free product keys from Microsoft Dreamspark.

Fair point. Dreamspark is a bit hard to get free keys with. Also, MS said that they would integrate sandboxes w/ Windows 8, but looks like they didn't.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

15 minutes ago, Sam I Am Not said:

Last month it was announced that Apple was no longer supporting QuickTime support for Windows and that QuickTime contains security flaws and should be uninstalled. As a consumer I can see this being no big deal since there are superior playback options like VLC.

As a professional it causes a big problem. I uninstalled QuickTime and no problems that I noticed right away. Then I start working on a video using Adobe Creative Cloud, and Premiere, Media Encoder, and After Effects all became riddled with missing media and unsupported codec errors. The culprit was QuickTime being uninstalled.

Adobe posted this on April 16th, 2016 - "Recently the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team issued Alert (TA16105-A), which recommends Windows users uninstall Apple QuickTime from their computers... Adobe has worked extensively on removing dependencies on QuickTime... we continue to work hard to improve this situation, but have no estimated timeframe for native decode currently... We will provide more information on this as we progress."

Now comes the issue of WINDOWS SECURITY versus FUNCTIONING SOFTWARE.

QuickTime Uninstalled: Security threat removed, Adobe software doesn't function properly so I can not do my job

QuickTime Installed: My system is vulnerable but Adobe Creative Cloud functions and I can do my job

Any other content creators finding it frustrating that in order to work we have to knowingly keep vulnerable software installed on our systems? It's been almost a month since the announcement and so far nothing has been done to provide reassurance to their 7 million paid subscribers. As a long time Apple user I find it somewhat of a burn that they would pull something like this, leaving millions of professionals having to choose between computer security and doing your job. Apple have put Adobe in between a rock and a hard place and I hope a fix is on the immediate horizon but until them I'm stuck running compromised software.

I'm having an issue with .mov files being imported into Sony Vegas. It won't work when I don't have quicktime installed. I might try and find an mov codec of some sort. I still have it installed, but will look for a codec.

3 minutes ago, TeoIzAwezome said:

Fair point. Dreamspark is a bit hard to get free keys with. Also, MS said that they would integrate sandboxes w/ Windows 8, but looks like they didn't.

Dreamspark keys are very easy to get, assuming you are a college or university student (Or an alumni with a still working school email address). Basically every North American College or University qualifies automatically, as do many European schools. And on top of that, the school itself might offer additional free Dreamspark keys for programs not in the basic Catalogue.

The requirements for Dreamspark is pretty black and white - either you're a student (or recently was) or you're not.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm afraid you're likely just going to have to live with QuickTime installed then, and hope Adobe moves their asses real quick.

I would also suggest tweeting and FB posting on Adobe's various Social Media pages, encouraging them to release the fix soon.

I've swallowed that unfortunate but likely truth and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe handles this situation that Apple probably served to them with a grin on their faces.

Just now, Sam I Am Not said:

I've swallowed that unfortunate but likely truth and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe handles this situation that Apple probably served to them with a grin on their faces.

Frankly, Adobe should either adopt an Open Source replacement for QuickTime that already exists, or they should in-house develop a replacement.

And they don't even need a full replacement, just the encoding/decoding functionality of QuickTime. No need for a video player software at all, just a transcoder.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Frankly, Adobe should either adopt an Open Source replacement for QuickTime that already exists, or they should in-house develop a replacement.

And they don't even need a full replacement, just the encoding/decoding functionality of QuickTime. No need for a video player software at all, just a transcoder.

I've been an Apple fan boy from 1998 up until a few years ago when Apple abandoned FCP 7 and downgraded it to a shiny version of iMovie (FCP X). In the last decade I've grown fond of ProRes. You can't argue that it isn't a good codec. The lack of compatibility after migrating to windows though (for better price to performance ratio on hardware and expandability) has been a headache, especially since a lot of clients want the final deliverables in ProRes codec. I have found the Miraizon ProRes plugin to be the best solution for getting ProRes exported in Windows. In a perfect world Apple and Adobe would strike a deal and Adobe could use ProRes for windows integration and support the codec themselves but I've been holding my breath for that one for years now.

I believe LTT Media Group was Sorenson Server on their transcoding beast but since transcoding mega amounts of footage isn't an option for me due to time constraints, being able to drop ProRes straight into the timeline is often necessary to make deadlines.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

I just got off chat support with Adobe to check in on the current state of the situation and the end quote I received was...

"I understand. We are working with apple to get the Codecs work on Windows. Hopefully Prores & Quicktime will be supported from next update of Premiere Pro."

Fingers crossed they figure it out by the next update. They've had since April 14th to troubleshoot.