Don't Know What Power Supply To Get

Degu_

Sooooooo I Dont Know Exactly What Size Power Supply I Am Needing, I Am Thinking a 1000Watt Power Supply, Note: I Will Be Running 2 960s

Computer Price1.png

Computer Price2.png

At most for two 960's you'd need is a 600w.
But why are you getting two 960s?

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

3 minutes ago, Degu_ said:

Sooooooo I Dont Know Exactly What Size Power Supply I Am Needing, I Am Thinking a 1000Watt Power Supply, Note: I Will Be Running 2 960s

Computer Price1.png

Computer Price2.png

Make you pc in PCPartPicker.com. It will tell you exactly how much wattage all your components will need. I would say a 750W powe supply will be plenty though

4 minutes ago, Degu_ said:

im sorry but that build is far from optimal whats your budget? 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

probably the 3k range if you are refering to the 960s i will be upgrading them once the price of 980ti's drop

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Make you pc in PCPartPicker.com. It will tell you exactly how much wattage all your components will need. I would say a 750W powe supply will be plenty though

i dont do pcpartpicker, i couldnt find all of the parts i had on newegg

4 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

At most for two 960's you'd need is a 600w.
But why are you getting two 960s?

i will be upgrading them once the price of 980ti's drop since the 1080 will surely drop the price

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

Where are you located? those prices seem very high

OAS || AAS || LLS

2 minutes ago, Degu_ said:

probably the 3k range if you are refering to the 960s i will be upgrading them once the price of 980ti's drop

your mostly gaming or rendering too? 

if you need that kind of storage maybe look into a nas for redundancy. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, Superspeed07 said:

Where are you located? those prices seem very high

Wonderful land of canadia

Just now, ChrisCross said:

your mostly gaming or rendering too? 

if you need that kind of storage maybe look into a nas for redundancy. 

mostly gaming, i will probably only get one 4tb drive

1 minute ago, Degu_ said:

i dont do pcpartpicker, i couldnt find all of the parts i had on newegg

You should be able to find those parts on PCPartPicker, it uses more than newegg, I would just use it to find the minimum wattage and then add 50watts for clearence.

If you are doing that, you could get 1 980ti now and then get the other when the prices drop. Unless you are going to be using the 2 960s after you get the 980tis. It seems like a waste of money

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

You should be able to find those parts on PCPartPicker, it uses more than newegg, I would just use it to find the minimum wattage and then add 50watts for clearence.

If you are doing that, you could get 1 980ti now and then get the other when the prices drop. Unless you are going to be using the 2 960s after you get the 980tis. It seems like a waste of money

alright i will hope that getting a 980ti will be in my budget xD

Its a little more expensive than the 2 960s. I didn't see that you were in Canada when I wrote it. But I think it will be wirth it instead of buying 2 960s and 2 980tis.

you could save a ton of money buy getting a more reasonable motherboard, if you are just gaming there is no reason in getting 32gb of dominator ram, I would also suggest a ssd from a different company

OAS || AAS || LLS

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Its a little more expensive than the 2 960s. I didn't see that you were in Canada when I wrote it. But I think it will be wirth it instead of buying 2 960s and 2 980tis.

okay, All this doesnt really help my original question though XD, i'd prefer not to use pcpartpicker the main reason being is i dont understand it

okay, All this doesnt really help my original question though XD, i'd prefer not to use pcpartpicker the main reason being is i dont understand it

you simply find the parts you have or something as close to it as you can, and at the top of the list it tells you the wattage, usually people go a little over that amount for headroom

OAS || AAS || LLS

You find the parts you want and the site tells you if they are compatible and where you can buy them from.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Makes sense. But yeah, 750w power supply should be ample for 2 960s.

The way I think about it is:

Cheap- Corsair CX(wattage)m

Solid- EVGA 750W Gold (Has nice cables too)

Expensive- Corsair 760W

You probably want to aim for the EVGA level. (EVGA 750W Gold Certified Power Supply (Fully Modular) is what I have.)

Desktop ("White Bread") -

• Corsair 760T
  • i7 5820k
  • NHD15 
  • Gigabyte 970 
  • 32GB Vengeance LPX 2666mhz 
  • Samsung Evo 512GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

2 minutes ago, Superspeed07 said:

you could save a ton of money buy getting a more reasonable motherboard, if you are just gaming there is no reason in getting 32gb of dominator ram, I would also suggest a ssd from a different company

i am wanting to kinda go overboard with it all, so i mean i am wanting to get the skylake and everything going then upgrade my gpus, i mean eventually i am going to fully water loop and overclock

i am wanting to kinda go overboard with it all, so i mean i am wanting to get the skylake and everything going then upgrade my gpus, i mean eventually i am going to fully water loop and overclock

There is still a difference in going kinda overboard vs putting the money where it should be, and done wisely. to answer your original question - which psu, if you are doing sli 960's then a good 550w will be plenty. if you are going to sli 980ti's then a good 800w would work.

Something I think you should consider would be, are you really going to do a full waterloop and oc? I went into my build thinking I would do a full waterloop but never did - it involves a ton of work and really is for people with a good understanding of computers etc. The AIO's do a decent enough job, or top end aircooling gets close to the full loop and will provide a good gaming experience with little maintenance down the road.

OAS || AAS || LLS

22 minutes ago, Degu_ said:

mostly gaming, i will probably only get one 4tb drive

i went for a really reliable hdd since you storing a lot of stuff. rest of the money is for gpu(s). just and see if next is worth it. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KbPYP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KbPYP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($439.15 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($163.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($83.36 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($138.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($235.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($156.00 @ shopRBC) 
Total: $1480.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 17:05 EDT-0400