New GPU MSRP vs actual prices and another stupid question.

pomaranc

My friend wanted to build a new PC with 960, I asked him if he want's my 970 for 960 price instead, he said yes.

The thing is that he wants to build his PC in like a week so I would have to use integrated GPU for a month and pretty much commit to getting 1070.

Usually how different are the prices released by nvidia and actual prices? Although I guess this year it will be a bit different with founders edition and stuff so pretty much just write down your guess and opinions :)

The OEM cooler cards are pretty much exactly MSRP. Custom cooler +20-50$.

Not talking pre-order here. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Didnt the 970 start at 380 or somthing? I think over time the price will drop to how it is now. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

5 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Didnt the 970 start at 380 or somthing? I think over time the price will drop to how it is now. 

It was $330 for many different models (eg EVGA ACX, MSI blower), with $350 the standard for factory overclocked cards (eg EVGA SC), and $400 for the really heavily overclocked cards (eg Zotac AMP, Gigabyte G1 Gaming).

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It was $330 for many different models (eg EVGA ACX, MSI blower), with $350 the standard for factory overclocked cards (eg EVGA SC), and $400 for the really heavily overclocked cards (eg Zotac AMP, Gigabyte G1 Gaming).

Oh... huh, i was hoping that this gen would be cheaper :(

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What was the MSRP? 330$?

2 minutes ago, pomaranc said:

What was the MSRP? 330$?

$329. Commonly sold from $300-$350.

3 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Oh... huh, i was hoping that this gen would be cheaper :(

MSRP is $380 on the 1070, so that's out the door. I imagine the reference clocked cards will be sold at MSRP. You'll pay another $20 if you want a factory overclock, and maybe another $50-$100 for the cards that are in high demand because of strong overclocking reputation and better power delivery. On the plus side these strong overclocking cards were the ones most available at the 970 launch because of the higher price. The $330 reference clocked ones were impossible to find in stock from late September through all of October, they got snapped up really fast.

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

MSRP is $380 on the 1070, so that's out the door. I imagine the reference clocked cards will be sold at MSRP. You'll pay another $20 if you want a factory overclock, and maybe another $50-$100 for the cards that are in high demand because of strong overclocking reputation and better power delivery. On the plus side these strong overclocking cards were the ones most available at the 970 launch because of the higher price. The $330 reference clocked ones were impossible to find in stock from late September through all of October, they got snapped up really fast.

So what do you think, is it worth 150€? 

The 1070 is $380 MSRP but the founders edition is $450, so you might have to wait for a cheaper version if there is one.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, pomaranc said:

So what do you think, is it worth 150€? 

Not sure what you're asking here.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not sure what you're asking here.

the upgrade from 970 to 1070, should I do it? I will pay what I get for the 970 + 150€

8 minutes ago, pomaranc said:

the upgrade from 970 to 1070, should I do it? I will pay what I get for the 970 + 150€

I don't know. I have no idea what kind of monitor you run. I have no idea the games you play. I have no idea if Nvidia is telling the truth when they say the 1070 is more powerful than a Titan X. I have no idea how hard the wave of Christmas games will be to run. I have no idea if non founders edition 1070s will be widely available near launch. I have no idea how Polaris 10 will perform. I have no idea if the rumor of Vega launching in October is true.

If it was me? I think the 1070 will probably be about as powerful as a Titan X. Nvidia will catch a lot of hell if it's a lie, and it's hardly unprecedented on an architecture change, much less an architecture change plus a node shrink. So if I wanted Titan X performance in a month and could upgrade to it for 150 euro I think it's a good gamble and I'd do it.