Dual Channel Mode Broken??

So today, about a week after building my first PC, I made a rookie mistake of putting DDR2 memory into a DDR3 motherboard to try to get more memory. (Note that the DDR2 DIMM had no indication of it's generation, so I didn't know it was DDR2) After trying to boot up, all the fans spun up and seemed normal but I got no output to my monitor, so I just turned it off and took out the DDR2 DIMM. I booted back up and again, still no display output. I then plugged in my motherboard speaker to see if I was unknowingly getting an error code, and I was right. I got three long repeating beeps, separated by a short pause. I did some research and I'm pretty confident this means there is a problem with the memory, whatever it may be. I tried re-seating EVERYTHING on my motherboard while also clearing the CMOS multiple times. Still nothing. I then tried seating my memory in different combinations of sockets to see if that would work. I found that placing my memory in sockets A2 and B2 gave the system no beep code when booting up, but also still didn't output any video signal. I then tried seating it in sockets A1 and B2, and finally I got the system to post. BUT, I was running in single channel mode. (kill me now)

So as of now, I'm only running 4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, when normally I would be running 8GB of DDR3 1600. 

SO, on to my question for you experienced people.... Should I replace my motherboard and RAM, or is there something I can do to fix this? Thank you in advance,

- James

PS. here are the links to both my RAM and motherboard:

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157570&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

5 minutes ago, james.lee534 said:

So today, about a week after building my first PC, I made a rookie mistake of putting DDR2 memory into a DDR3 motherboard to try to get more memory. (Note that the DDR2 DIMM had no indication of it's generation, so I didn't know it was DDR2) After trying to boot up, all the fans spun up and seemed normal but I got no output to my monitor, so I just turned it off and took out the DDR2 DIMM. I booted back up and again, still no display output. I then plugged in my motherboard speaker to see if I was unknowingly getting an error code, and I was right. I got three long repeating beeps, separated by a short pause. I did some research and I'm pretty confident this means there is a problem with the memory, whatever it may be. I tried re-seating EVERYTHING on my motherboard while also clearing the CMOS multiple times. Still nothing. I then tried seating my memory in different combinations of sockets to see if that would work. I found that placing my memory in sockets A2 and B2 gave the system no beep code when booting up, but also still didn't output any video signal. I then tried seating it in sockets A1 and B2, and finally I got the system to post. BUT, I was running in single channel mode. (kill me now)

So as of now, I'm only running 4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, when normally I would be running 8GB of DDR3 1600. 

SO, on to my question for you experienced people.... Should I replace my motherboard and RAM, or is there something I can do to fix this? Thank you in advance,

- James

Im curious, was your video out coming from the board or a GPU? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

try checking the ram channels with the working ram, as well as the other ram on the working slot

see if its the slot that is broken or the ram that is broken or both

using DDR2 on DDR3 slot should be impossible due to the notch

but if you force it in, the pins might short out the motherboard (or worse, the cpu)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Im curious, was your video out coming from the board or the GPU? 

My GPU. But I did try plugging my HDMI into my motherboard to see if that was the problem. Didn't help.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

try checking the ram channels with the working ram, as well as the other ram on the working slot

but if you force it in, the pins might short out the motherboard (or worse, the cpu)

this^ It is entirely possible that you broke the slot.......If he was able to post and use the system the CPU is thankfully ok. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

My RAM seems to be working fine (thank god) It's just where I place the RAM is when I have issues. To my knowledge, the only way I can get my system to post is putting both DIMMs in slots A1 and B2. 

1 minute ago, james.lee534 said:

My RAM seems to be working fine (thank god) It's just where I place the RAM is when I have issues. To my knowledge, the only way I can get my system to post is putting both DIMMs in slots A1 and B2. 

so you have 8gb reported ram but running in single channel?

you have 2x4gb sticks or 2x2gb sticks? o.O

so you have 8gb reported ram but running in single channel?

you have 2x4gb sticks or 2x2gb sticks? o.O

I have 2x4GB sticks but CPU-Z tells me I'm only getting 4GB and running in single channel

3 minutes ago, james.lee534 said:

If you have a board with 4 slots.....only a specific 2 of the 4 slots will work with each other 

Just now, james.lee534 said:

I have 2x4GB sticks but CPU-Z tells me I'm only getting 4GB and running in single channel

so you only have 4gb usable memory or 8gb?

as long as you still have 8gb it should be fine, just that you'll lose the dual channel's bandwidth

How did you even make it fit? The slot has a key in it. Did you cut the DIMM or something?

In any case, I'm guessing you short-circuited the DIMM slot and fried something. If that's the case, it's a coin toss between the CPU and the mobo. The memory controller is built into the APU but the mobo connects the two and there's a lot that can fry on the board too. Since you have no idea of which it is and I'm guessing you don't have and don't want to buy equivalent HW for just testing, take it to a shop to have it done for you.

so you only have 4gb usable memory or 8gb?

as long as you still have 8gb it should be fine, just that you'll lose the dual channel's bandwidth

Only 4GB. Task Manager also tells me I only have 4GB available memory.

Only 4GB. Task Manager also tells me I only have 4GB available memory.

so both rams works, but only one stick can be used?

means the other ram slots are potentially dead?

If both sticks work but only 4GB is reported than one of the RAM slots is dead. 

Yes. I'm afraid they might be dead, but I was wondering if there was some magic I could cast to fix the slots. I'm a very tech savvy person but unfortunately my experience is limited with PC building. 

Yes. I'm afraid they might be dead, but I was wondering if there was some magic I could cast to fix the slots. I'm a very tech savvy person but unfortunately my experience is limited with PC building. 

Realistically, there is nothing that can be done for the slot that is dead. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If both sticks work but only 4GB is reported than one of the RAM slots is dead. 

some motherboards require you to populate the ram slots in order for it to work (or so im told)

though i havent had any problems with mine when i tried different combinations

it could also be your cpu's IMC being partially dead due to potentially being shorted

try a different cpu/motherboard if you have any lying around (probably not)

some motherboards require you to populate the ram slots in order for it to work (or so im told)

it could also be your cpu's IMC being partially dead due to potentially being shorted

Poor CPU might have had the equivalent of a stroke 

I do have other CPU's lying around because my dad used to build server towers for a living, but unfortunately my CPU is the only AM3+ socket CPU I have. (AMD Athlon 860K)

2 minutes ago, james.lee534 said:

I do have other CPU's lying around because my dad used to build server towers for a living, but unfortunately my CPU is the only AM3+ socket CPU I have. (AMD Athlon 860K)

maybe try more different combinations of ram in the slots, maybe you'll get 8gbs again