HTC Vive Questions

l_zheng101

I am seriously interested in the HTC Vive. However, aside from gaming, what other applications could I use with the headset. I was interested if I could do any type of like 3-D modeling projects if there are applications like that available for the Vive. Thank you all. 

Yes, but its too early to say, anybody can make software for it, currently its very limited

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes, but its too early to say, anybody can make software for it, currently its very limited

Do you know of any specific applications that have been released. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

Do you know of any specific applications that have been released. Thanks!

Not that I have seen, but I can guarantee it will come

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

UE has headset support for development. We have painting and sculpting programs which can export 3d models and we have desktops projected onto a 3d space. It's all got a way to go but there are the beginnings of these tools available today.

1 hour ago, BrightCandle said:

UE has headset support for development. We have painting and sculpting programs which can export 3d models and we have desktops projected onto a 3d space. It's all got a way to go but there are the beginnings of these tools available today.

Alright I'll take a look, thank you so much.

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Not that I have seen, but I can guarantee it will come

Alright, thank you!

You can already produce 3-D enviroment with Google Tilt Brush software.

It's fun, but I wouldn't call it CAD software jsut yet

37 minutes ago, xchaotic said:

You can already produce 3-D enviroment with Google Tilt Brush software.

It's fun, but I wouldn't call it CAD software jsut yet

It can export but it's not really very good for accurate work only roughing. The sculpilting software looks a little better but it's still not going to replace a professional tool soon.

I've seen people try import/export stuff.

I think VR is mostly going to be good to visually inspect stuff, do some visual tweak etc.

It's never going to be acurate enough for actual numbers.

If you want to sell someone a building that is not built yet, being able to show it in VR is going to be huge and real estate is a huge market.

I'm currently writing software for modular real estate demonstrations. Essentially you format a cad drawing to a template and it will build a VR outline in real scale that you can manipulate. Such as walls and furniture. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

39 minutes ago, xchaotic said:

I've seen people try import/export stuff.

I think VR is mostly going to be good to visually inspect stuff, do some visual tweak etc.

It's never going to be acurate enough for actual numbers.

If you want to sell someone a building that is not built yet, being able to show it in VR is going to be huge and real estate is a huge market.

Ninja'd me. I'm working on software similar to what you described.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

18 hours ago, christianled59 said:

I'm currently writing software for modular real estate demonstrations. Essentially you format a cad drawing to a template and it will build a VR outline in real scale that you can manipulate. Such as walls and furniture. 

Really? that is so cool. 

2 hours ago, l_zheng101 said:

Really? that is so cool. 

Quite. I'm a bit worried that a more developed company or developer will create a similar software before mine is functional. I'm making it in ue4, but considering rebuilding from scratch. I currently have two video games in production; the current focus of my company. 

There are many other solutions too. Medical mostly.

A test funded by the Medical Research Council was conducted on 15 depressed individuals to determine if virtual reality could be used to treat people with depression. In virtual reality, the patients would take the perspective role of an adult avatar.

The embodiment, or deceiving of the mind to believe one is in a different body, was achieved by the users' perspective and the synchronized movement of their real life body and their virtual one. Once in their new virtual bodies, they were told to show compassion to a virtual child. As they soothed the child, it would appear to calm down. Then, after soothing the child, the subjects were then embodied into the virtual child, in which they would watch the adult avatar show them their own compassion. The experiment was repeated three times a week. 

The experiment's goal was to provide a means for people to show compassion to themselves in a very abstract way in order to help them to not be so negative towards themselves. Of the 15 subjects, nine of them showed improvement each month. Four patients claim to have had a major, clinical drop in depression at the end of the therapy. This therapy could potentially be used by many others, as in-home virtual reality becomes more affordable.