What Makes A Good Review?

In this day and age and with the ease of use of YouTube there are a lot of tech review channels. But how can you tell the difference between the bad and the good ones? Here's how:

First and foremost a good review is made from experience and has little to no biased opinions. If I liked Asus more then say BenQ and had to do a review of BenQs budget monitor I would try to avoid "coloring" my review. I would avoid comparing the monitor from BenQ to anything more then its price and I would also take a look at what the BenQ is marketed as. If the BenQ were marketed as a gaming monitor I would look at its refresh rate and latency and compare that with a similarly priced Asus. Now if the refresh rate and latency were not up to par with the Asus then it would get a bad review. But if the BenQ was marketed as a good "all around" monitor then I would take a look at other all purpose monitors at that price point and not the gaming oriented Asus. This is something I see is needed in a lot of reviews. Avoid the kind of "cross category" review. Basically comparing the given item to something of the same kind but in a total different market.

Secondly on biased reviews. I see this a lot, not just in reviews but in budget pc builds and what not. As an example there are people who are going too like Intel more then AMD and vice versa. So if you are reviewing a product don't let your bias get in the way of someone getting a good deal. I have seen people recommend i3s over FX-6300s in budget builds and reviews but ultimately if I'm looking to play all the latest games then I'd want the FX-6300 since some games are actually requiring 4 logical cores to run. Your review or recommendation will affect how people spend their money. Think it through and take your consumer into mind.

Third of all. Review items you have hands on experience with! Say you're shopping online and you see a great looking keyboard that lights up but its from a brand you've never heard of before or from a brand that has a bad reputation product wise *cough* Razer *cough*. Only review the item if you have hands on experience. The time could be a piece of garbage. Or the item could be amazing! *side note, don't be afraid to give products from companies that have a bad rep a try, it could be that company's turning point, from the dark side to the light*

And finally the fourth. Provide a well thought out Pros and Cons list. This will ultimately help the reader/viewer decide if the feature set is for them or not. Especially look for neat ( or not so neat ) things the manufacturer might not have advertised or put on the box.

Anyways that was just a quick run through of some things to look for in reviews! 

I hope that helps!!

Thread moved to General Discussion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch