GTX 970 keeping crashing

Hey so here's the fault:

So yesterday, turned PC on, all fine no problems

Open GTA V, within a few mins I get a black screen and my monitor says it is receiving no input from the card. So I remote desktop'd in from my mac and saw the PC still working, but the graphics card was not functioning - in device manager it had the little caution triangle saying problem with device. Event viewer shows nvlddmkm has stopped responding. Hhhmm. So rebooted. 

When it came back on, again back to normal, so loaded GTA V again and same thing again within a few mins.

Rebooted again and tried FO4 - got about 10 mins this time thought it was fine but then boom same error again. 

Rebooted again, tried unigine valley, get about 2mins and then dead again. 

Tried some less stressful titles like Fahrenheit remastered and prison architect and these seemed fine - it only seems to be when the card is being 'pushed' more it happens. 

Did a bit of software troubleshooting with different versions of the nvidia graphics and even tried system restore but still same. 

I'm thinking dead card and plan to take it back to store today (I only got in feb) but wondered if you guys had any other thoughts? 

Is the card overclocked at all? If so, take it back to stock and see if the errors continue. You might need to dial back your OC, and if you think you can do better with a new card, then maybe you do just return it and say that it's crashing during routine use.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Is the card overclocked at all? If so, take it back to stock and see if the errors continue. You might need to dial back your OC, and if you think you can do better with a new card, then maybe you do just return it and say that it's crashing during routine use.

It has been OC but removed them as soon as problems started and it's still been the same (I've been trying to keep a check via afterburner.)

11 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Hey so here's the fault:

So yesterday, turned PC on, all fine no problems

Open GTA V, within a few mins I get a black screen and my monitor says it is receiving no input from the card. So I remote desktop'd in from my mac and saw the PC still working, but the graphics card was not functioning - in device manager it had the little caution triangle saying problem with device. Event viewer shows nvlddmkm has stopped responding. Hhhmm. So rebooted. 

When it came back on, again back to normal, so loaded GTA V again and same thing again within a few mins.

Rebooted again and tried FO4 - got about 10 mins this time thought it was fine but then boom same error again. 

Rebooted again, tried unigine valley, get about 2mins and then dead again. 

Tried some less stressful titles like Fahrenheit remastered and prison architect and these seemed fine - it only seems to be when the card is being 'pushed' more it happens. 

Did a bit of software troubleshooting with different versions of the nvidia graphics and even tried system restore but still same. 

I'm thinking dead card and plan to take it back to store today (I only got in feb) but wondered if you guys had any other thoughts? 

Maybe you already did that, maybe not. But did you completly remove the Nvidia drivers from your system before trying to reinstall different versions? Sometimes some folders with settings etc. are not removed which influences the new install.

Furthermore I would check the used cables or another monitor if possible. That is why I had to RMA my monitor back in January after I bought it in October 2015. first I tried to get the Nvidia drivers fixed, for which I spend a whole day and afterwards were no problem at all.

EDIT: Are the GPU fans working properly after manually playing with OC settings?

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, daniielrp said:

It has been OC but removed them as soon as problems started and it's still been the same (I've been trying to keep a check via afterburner.)

Might've been borked by the OC, or it might just be a dying chip. Hard to tell. Sucks either way.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Might've been borked by the OC, or it might just be a dying chip. Hard to tell. Sucks either way.

Well it was only using Asus's own software so that would be crappy :/ 

3 minutes ago, annoyingmoments said:

Maybe you are already did that, maybe not. But did you completly remove the Nvidia driovers from your system before trying to reinstall different versions? Sometimes some folders with settings etc. are not removed which influences the new install.

Furthermore I would check the used cables or another monitor if possible. That is why I had to RMA my monitor back in January after I bought it in October 2015. first I tried to get the Nvidia drivers fixed, for which I spend a whole day and afterwards were no problem at all.

Yeh I uninstalled and then ran that Display Driver Uninstaller to remove any leftovers. 

Ill test it with a different monitor now and see.

UPDATE:

So seems to be working now, I had:

- Reseated the card in to slot 4 - same problem.

- Swapped from the bitfenix psu ext cable back to the normal psu one and this seem to work fine, got through about 3 hours of unigine valley. 

So I swapped it back to to slot 1, and tested with the normal psu cable again... all fine.

Swapped back to the blue ext cable and still fine... 

So maybe the cable was loose or is a bit dodgy? Fingers crossed it stays working now.