Looking for new Headset/Headphones

Hi there, thanks for checking out my post!

So as you see from the title, I am looking for some new Headphones or Headset. My current headset (Turtle Beach X12) are getting old and are uncomfortable after wearing for a long time.

I have a few requirements but in my opinion, I don't think they are a hassle.

• Wireless - I move around a lot.
  • Does not need a microphone - Buying AT2020 or AT2035 soon.
  • Surround sound, Preferably 7.1.
  • Good Sound Quality - Will mostly be for gaming with small amount music on the side.
  • Comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

What I have looked at:

I have looked at headset's and the one that stood out was the Steelseries Siberia 800, also known as Steelseries H-Wireless.

But after reading on the forum here, People have said to avoid them and recommended people look elsewhere so decided to get some more information from people.

I did also look at the Astro A50's but everywhere I looked for every 1 good review there were 2 bad reviews so gonna give them a miss.

The Logitech G933 also stood out but don't look the best.

Color's:

If colors are wanted, I for some reason seem to be a rather big fan of the color Red. I have a red room and a Black and Red set-up.

Side note:

I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, It is meant to have very good audio built in and have had no issues. It does not have a Optical port. If this is a problem I wouldn't mind using a USB adapter or if that will reduce the quality buying a seperate sound card.

If anymore information is wanted let me know, I wil be keeping an eye on this post as and quite interested to know what people would reccomend.

Thank you for reading and for any help that you can give.

Dexter

The best wireless headphones you can get when it comes to sound quality are from the Sennheiser RS line up. All that 7.1,5.1 is BS and 99% of it is virtual.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

The best wireless headphones you can get when it comes to sound quality are from the Sennheiser RS line up. All that 7.1,5.1 is BS and 99% of it is virtual.

I still would like Surround tho, due to the game's I play. I will check out the Sennheiser's now.

5 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

I still would like Surround tho, due to the game's I play. I will check out the Sennheiser's now.

a big soundstage is actually better, some of the RS headphones has the virtual surround build in. Just so you know your onboard will not do anything to the sound since the headphones are wireless and therefor they have build in dacs and amps.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

a big soundstage is actually better, some of the RS headphones has the virtual surround build in. Just so you know your onboard will not do anything to the sound since the headphones are wireless and therefor they have build in dacs and amps.

Ok, Am having a look now. I play a lot of FPS game's and a lot of sim racing and they are both great with surround.

Which RS headphones have the surround built in. The Website is not very clear.

Thank you for the help.

4 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

Ok, Am having a look now. I play a lot of FPS game's and a lot of sim racing and they are both great with surround.

Which RS headphones have the surround built in. The Website is not very clear.

Thank you for the help.

RS 170 and RS 175

RS 170 and RS 175

Ahhh, I see I guess the 175 would be the newer version. Going to look into some reviews for these and price. 

Would you say they were the best for the money at this time?

3 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

Ahhh, I see I guess the 175 would be the newer version. Going to look into some reviews for these and price. 

Would you say they were the best for the money at this time?

they are both the best wireless headphones for the price .I am not sure, which are the best of the two.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they are both the best wireless headphones for the price .I am not sure, which are the best of the two.

After doing some research the RS175 are the best out of the 2. The price is good at £220. Can't find anything about being used for Gaming, So not sure how good they are in that area. Will continue to look into these as look perfect for me.

1 minute ago, MrDexter said:

After doing some research the RS175 are the best out of the 2. The price is good at £220. Can't find anything about being used for Gaming, So not sure how good they are in that area. Will continue to look into these as look perfect for me.

They will work great for gaming.

34 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

They will work great for gaming.

Thank you for all your help. I thought there would be something better out there then the Siberia 800's.

Let me know if you find anything else.

Again thank you for all the help.

Just now, MrDexter said:

Thank you for all your help. I thought there would be something better out there then the Siberia 800's.

Let me know if you find anything else.

Again thank you for all the help.

what? the Siberia 800 is shit compared to RS 175.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what? the Siberia 800 is shit compared to RS 175.

Yes, but the Siberia 800's are meant to be the 'best' gaming headset on the market but from what I had read it gave me the impression that it was awful. Which is why I made this post.

7 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

Yes, but the Siberia 800's are meant to be the 'best' gaming headset on the market but from what I had read it gave me the impression that it was awful. Which is why I made this post.

They might be the best wireless headset, but they are shit compared to wireless headphones. Just because it isn't made for gaming it doesn't mean they will be bad for gaming, most people use headphones because they are much better than headsets for gaming and they provide much higher quality sound for the same price or less.

They might be the best wireless headset, but they are shit compared to wireless headphones. Just because it isn't made for gaming it doesn't mean they will be bad for gaming, most people use headphones because they are much better than headsets for gaming and they provide much higher quality sound for the same price or less.

I never looked into it before because I didn't think about it. But I didn't need the built-in mic which is the only advantage of headset's. Therefore a set of headphones is perfect for me and much better quality.

I never looked into it before because I didn't think about it. But I didn't need the built-in mic which is the only advantage of headset's. Therefore a set of headphones is perfect for me and much better quality.

So you are getting the RS 175?

44 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So you are getting the RS 175?

Most probably will be getting them in about a week. They seem like the best headphones for my needs. and look quite nice this well. Will reply with anything more information.

@Dackzy I was just reading some reviews on the headphones and I have seen that the Surround does not seem to be very impressive, it is more for films but can make dialogue distorted. Will continue to do some research on them tho.

@Dackzy I was just reading some reviews on the headphones and I have seen that the Surround does not seem to be very impressive, it is more for films but can make dialogue distorted. Will continue to do some research on them tho.

Well that is what virtual surrond will do and to keep it 100% real with you all this virtual surround is kinda bs and will not make any difference and headphones with a big soundstage will beat the surround software.

Well that is what virtual surrond will do and to keep it 100% real with you all this virtual surround is kinda bs and will not make any difference and headphones with a big soundstage will beat the surround software.

Ok, The surround will be more for games like COD and BF. 

Will it all work correctly and well using 3.5mm AUX? Or should I look into a sound card or adapter for Optical?

Ok, The surround will be more for games like COD and BF. 

Will it all work correctly and well using 3.5mm AUX? Or should I look into a sound card or adapter for Optical?

It should work corretly with jack 3.5mm, because the doc they come with will make the analog signal to a digital one and then send it to the headphones. Don't your motherboard have optical?

It should work corretly with jack 3.5mm, because the doc they come with will make the analog signal to a digital one and then send it to the headphones. Don't your motherboard have optical?

No, sadly not. It has what is meant to be a decent sound board built in. It has 3.5mm jacks for surround. But not an optical port.

MSI-Z97-GAMING-5-IO-shield.jpg

No, sadly not. It has what is meant to be a decent sound board built in. It has 3.5mm jacks for surround. But not an optical port.

MSI-Z97-GAMING-5-IO-shield.jpg

Well then just try with the normal stereo jack into the doc and see if all the features work.

Well then just try with the normal stereo jack into the doc and see if all the features work.

Ok, Looking forward to buying these actually seen them for sale at £180 so might be able to get them this coming week. Thanks for the help

Just now, MrDexter said:

Ok, Looking forward to buying these actually seen them for sale at £180 so might be able to get them this coming week. Thanks for the help

No problem :)