LGA 771 to 775 mod?

Poll Time!  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should I modify my LGA 775 Motherboard socket and BIOS to fit and support a LGA 771 Xeon X5460?

Hi so i just recently built a fuck around system using spare parts,

CPU: q9300 OC 3.0ghz

Motherboard: Asus p5ke

RAM: 8GB DDR2 800mhz

GPU: nvidia quadro fx 3800

PSU: rosewell green 430w

Storage: 250GB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Case: Thermaltake soprano RS

Cooler: Thermalright venomus x 

the total cost of this build was essentially free since i found some of the parts in my school's edump and the other parts i had lying around at home. when i try to play games like minecraft the cpu sometimes bottlenecks the GPU and my question is would spending roughly $25 on a old xeon x5460 and the adapter be worth it for this build? i heard and read around that the Xeon X5460 is a faster cpu than the q9300 and that it can overclock much higher than the q9300. i know that i would have to risk damaging my motherboard or bricking my motherboard if i do this incorrectly but still the system is essentially free and its only $25. so my question is is it worth it. i mean it would make a good spare system to have sitting in the closet as a backup system. Im also aware that I would have to make a custom BIOS to support the Xeon but i dont really mind taking risks right now since everything was essentially free except for the cpu and adapter that i have to buy if I were to do this. 

Attachments: Custom Modded BIOS version 1305 for ASUS P5K-E. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE/ACCOUNTABLE FOR DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD AND OR OTHER COMPONENTS.

p5keXeonmoddedbios1305.rom

XEON X5460 SLANP Confirmed WORKING in ASUS P5K-E Motherboard. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Tried it with my e5420 on an MSI G41-25 and on an XFX 780i sadly I did not get it working on either. Though might be that it wasn't seated correctly.

Good luck I guess.

i would do it, it would be a good increase in preformance :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Nergale said:

Tried it with my e5420 on an MSI G41-25 and on an XFX 780i sadly I did not get it working on either. Though might be that it wasn't seated correctly.

Good luck I guess.

the main thing that im afraid of is if the p35 chipset would support the xeon cpus. the microcode update im fine with but if the northbridge doesnt reconize it then no way its gonna ever post. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

UPDATE: I just bought a Xeon X5460 cpu for $19 on ebay and 2 adapters for it for $3.90. total cost is $22.90 because of free shipping. hopefully I can get this to work. i will give a status update on if this mod worked for future readers who are in the same boat as I am currently and need some reference material. if this does work then i just breathed life into this aging motherboard and i would be very happy. if it didnt work then oh well it was just only $22.90. 

1 hour ago, Nergale said:

Good luck I guess.

thank you. i did some further research and i read that some people got x5460 and x5450 cpus to work in my motherboard before so hopefully this holds true and hopefully i dont damage the motherboard in this process or modifying it. 

STATUS UPDATE: I manged to get my custom BIOS to work. i just recently flashed my BIOS with my custom one and it was a success, current cpu is a q9300 and the modded BIOS works as of now. hopefully it will recognize the new Xeon X5460 when i get the chance to modify my motherboard socket. As of now system is stable with new modded bios. i will leave an attachment of the modded BIOS in the thread for future people out there who want to use it on THIS SPECIFIC BOARD. My board revision version is 1.xx according to CPUz. this modded BIOS version is 1305. however if you do use my custom BIOS then PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE/ACCOUNTABLE FOR DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD OR OTHER COMPONENTS.     

tbh, i am using a q8300@3.55ghz and a hd7850 with 4gb of g.skill pi at 1160mhz cl 5-5-5-15  to play civ v and mad max and it seems a pretty balanced system

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

UPDATE:  I have sucessfully cut the 2 socket tabs on the motherboard. i used a box cutter and xacto knife to cut the tabs, and i used  a cheapo pentium d 830 cpu that i had lying around to protect the socket from any miscuts, no pins were bent or damaged on the motherboard, after i cut it i stuck the old q9300 back in there and booted it up again it it was a success. now all i have to do is wait for the xeon to ship along with the adapter and hope for the best :D  

40 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

tbh, i am using a q8300@3.55ghz and a hd7850 with 4gb of g.skill pi at 1160mhz cl 5-5-5-15  to play civ v and mad max and it seems a pretty balanced system

my current ram bottlenecks me from overclocking any higher than its rated speed of 800mhz. so with my q9300 im stuck at 3.0ghz. so getting this xeon with its 9.5 multipler would allow me to achieve a higher overclock of 3.8ghz. perhaps even 4.0ghz if i am lucky 

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

my current ram bottlenecks me from overclocking any higher than its rated speed of 800mhz. so with my q9300 im stuck at 3.0ghz. so getting this xeon with its 9.5 multipler would allow me to achieve a higher overclock of 3.8ghz. perhaps even 4.0ghz if i am lucky 

yes i think all 4 of mine do 4ghz on 1.4v or less. they run nice and cool as well :) 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

4 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

yes i think all 4 of mine do 4ghz on 1.4v or less. they run nice and cool as well :) 

can a x5460 get 4.0ghz with 1.36v on the vcore? also at 4.0ghz can it run games at 1080p? 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

can a x5460 get 4.0ghz with 1.36v on the vcore? 

idk. i dont use anything below 1.4v. i normally start at 1.5v tbh. i think one of mine does 4.4ghz on 1.5v. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:11 PM, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so i just recently built a fuck around system using spare parts,

CPU: q9300 OC 3.0ghz

Motherboard: Asus p5ke

RAM: 8GB DDR2 800mhz

GPU: nvidia quadro fx 3800

PSU: rosewell green 430w

Storage: 250GB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Case: Thermaltake soprano RS

Cooler: Thermalright venomus x 

the total cost of this build was essentially free since i found some of the parts in my school's edump and the other parts i had lying around at home. when i try to play games like minecraft the cpu sometimes bottlenecks the GPU and my question is would spending roughly $25 on a old xeon x5460 and the adapter be worth it for this build? i heard and read around that the Xeon X5460 is a faster cpu than the q9300 and that it can overclock much higher than the q9300. i know that i would have to risk damaging my motherboard or bricking my motherboard if i do this incorrectly but still the system is essentially free and its only $25. so my question is is it worth it. i mean it would make a good spare system to have sitting in the closet as a backup system. Im also aware that I would have to make a custom BIOS to support the Xeon but i dont really mind taking risks right now since everything was essentially free except for the cpu and adapter that i have to buy if I were to do this. 

Attachments: Custom Modded BIOS version 1305 for ASUS P5K-E. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE/ACCOUNTABLE FOR DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD AND OR OTHER COMPONENTS.

p5keXeonmoddedbios1305.rom

NO NO NO NO NO

The pins on different CPU's and boards have differen functions, power or data

Even if you could get it to fit, you run the risk of creating big sparks and arcs, and possibly a fire.

If you want to KYS in style, go for it, otherwise DO NOT DO THIS

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

idk. i dont use anything below 1.4v. i normally start at 1.5v tbh. i think one of mine does 4.4ghz on 1.5v. 

wait so at 4.0ghz can this cpu not bottleneck a budget gpu like a 750ti or a 760? maybe even a 950? 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

wait so at 4.0ghz can this cpu not bottleneck a budget gpu like a 750ti or a 760? maybe even a 950? 

idk, like i sad my q8300 was running a 7850 fine, so i think the x5460 could handle a 750ti or 760 easy :) 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

4 minutes ago, RedJamaX said:

I actually have some benchmarks with a GTS 960 running on a x5450 and an i5-2500k....  see this thread...

thats some good testing :) the oc and increased ram speed over 1000mhz with tight timings helps as well i think. going from 3ghz to 4ghz is a 33% increase and brings the performance quite close to the 2500k at stock speed. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

I would agree.... if you can get a high over-clock from the XEON...   it's definitely worth it for a budget performance bump. :)

1 hour ago, UberGamerKing said:

NO NO NO NO NO

Uhm. Sorry. The correct answer is Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Do exactly this. Mod the socket, use the tape and overclock to your heart's content. And then some.

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Correct.  The power of the overclocked Xeon CPU on single-threaded tasks is not quite at the level of a 2500k run at stock speed, it's still a little less than that really. 

But it's a least in the same *ballpark* when it is OC'd to 4.0 - 4.2GHz. So you have some headroom and it won't bottleneck in the CPU under today's games. Look to your GPU.

2 hours ago, Steel_Wind said:

Correct.  The power of the overclocked Xeon CPU on single-threaded tasks is not quite at the level of a 2500k run at stock speed, it's still a little less than that really. 

But it's a least in the same *ballpark* when it is OC'd to 4.0 - 4.2GHz. So you have some headroom and it won't bottleneck in the CPU under today's games. Look to your GPU.

What gpu would you recommend for this system. I have a Gtx 760 2gb in one of my amd phenom II x6 1055t system that I can maybe use if I know that it won't bottleneck that Xeon x5460. As of my plans with that system it's just a spare system since like I said above most of the parts in that system is free since I pulled them out of my schools edump