re-using old virus infect hard drive????

addywaddy

I have an old hard drive thats got viruses on it.can i format it with out affecting my computer with virruses.i only want to use the drive to save photos onto.

thanks for the replys 

hmmm it will be hard to get rid of anything in the drive unless you have some computer you can use. 

BUt if you have some old computer you can use you can use dariks boot and nuke http://www.dban.org/ 

you just create a usb bootable , boot from it then you can "nuke" the drive, should rid of anything on there 

You can use your current system and if you did, I would remove any other drives in your system, to avoid deleteing any other disk. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

I would only recommend trying to clear that HDD and reusing it if you have an old PC that you can use to format it, or a bootable USB or CD. Something to keep in mind is that, if the virus' are somehow in the firmware of the HDD then it will be incredibly difficult to get rid of them. But those virus' are pretty rare.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

3 minutes ago, addywaddy said:

okay thxs.Ill try and do that 

haha I was replying to the wrong thread lol. .. oh god its friday i need to go home. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

yeah just plugging the HDD in wont transfer the virus

you can safely format it with no risk

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

yeah just plugging the HDD in wont transfer the virus

you can safely format it with no risk

you shore ?? 100% ????

iv got 600gb of steam games installed 

1 minute ago, addywaddy said:

you shore ?? 100% ????

iv got 600gb of steam games installed 

if it was me , Id disconnect all drives , 

plug in the "infected" drive 

boot from usb with Dariks on it

wipe the disk 

turn off PC then reconnect all drives and you should be good. 

although its possible the virus wont spread to other drives I would not risk it. 

I wouldnt worry to be safe boot intona live linux dustro as most (read: 99%+) malware is not designed for linux