Raid 0 2x 128Gb SSD's (830 and a m4)

Q_mods

Hi,

I have a question, I know it's possible to raid 0 two different ssd's (the 2x the speed of the slowest and 2x the capacity of the smallest). 

I have a Crucial M4 128Gb in my pc, 128Gb is a bit small. I have a 128Gb samsung 830 lying around here, now is my idea te raid 0 those 2 drives to get a 256Gb ssd array. are there any lang term disadvantages whit this idea?

Q

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

Your pretty much nailed it on the head in terms of speed and capacity.

The only disadvantage is the increased likelihood of failure since any one drive failure will result in the whole array failing. As long as it's backed up, you'll be fine.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I would not do it. There is no point. You are risking your data and wasting your time. 

It will not make your system boot noticeably faster (in fact, it will probably make it boot slower due to initializing RAID).

It will not make your game's load noticeably faster (unless you have a stop watch and can time the extra 2-3 seconds you would get).

It will not make your file transfers faster, unless you have ANOTHER RAID 0 array to transfer to because nothing else except your RAM can handle those speeds. 

It is just completely pointless, unless you are Linus because he has (had) 10Gbit/s and other RAID arrays to transfer to in his house. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Your pretty much nailed it on the head in terms of speed and capacity.

The only disadvantage is the increased likelihood of failure since any one drive failure will result in the whole array failing. As long as it's backed up, you'll be fine.

Thanks,

That's whit a problem whit all raid 0 array's as I remember correct. I only run the OS and some key programs of the ssd, all my documents are backt up.

Q

I would not do it. There is no point. You are risking your data and wasting your time. 

It will not make your system boot noticeably faster (in fact, it will probably make it boot slower due to initializing RAID).

It will not make your game's load noticeably faster (unless you have a stop watch and can time the extra 2-3 seconds you would get).

It will not make your file transfers faster, unless you have ANOTHER RAID 0 array to transfer to because nothing else except your RAM can handle those speeds. 

It is just completely pointless, unless you are Linus because he has (had) 10Gbit/s and other RAID arrays to transfer to in his house. 

But my wallet stays noticeably fuller, the M4 is currently my boot drive and the 830 was the drive from my laptop bud i had to upgrade it to 256Gb. If i go this route i don't have to spend about 140 euro for a new 250Gb SSD (840 EVO ore something like that).

Q

But my wallet stays noticeably fuller, the M4 is currently my boot drive and the 830 was the drive from my laptop bud i had to upgrade it to 256Gb. If i go this route i don't have to spend about 140 euro for a new 250Gb SSD (840 EVO ore something like that).

Q

wat

Just install both drives separately? ... Either way you will have to upgrade your laptop because you more than likely cannot fit 2 SSD's in it at once. 

I am completely confused as to how RAID 0ing your 2 SSD's means you do not have to buy a new one in your laptop. That makes no sense.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

wat

Just install both drives separately? ... Either way you will have to upgrade your laptop because you more than likely cannot fit 2 SSD's in it at once. 

I am completely confused as to how RAID 0ing your 2 SSD's means you do not have to buy a new one in your laptop. That makes no sense.

He just upgraded his laptop to a 256GB SSD and now wants to RAID 0 the one he took out with the one in his other machine.

Since you're doing this for the capacity then you could just install them separately in your machine, it would be much more reliable.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

He just upgraded his laptop to a 256GB SSD and now wants to RAID 0 the one he took out with the one in his other machine.

Since you're doing this for the capacity then you could just install them separately in your machine, it would be much more reliable.

Yes, but he said that RAIDing them meant he would save money. I do not see how that works if he already bought the 256GB SSD. 

And yes, that is what my suggestion was/would be.

† Christian Member †

Yes, but he said that RAIDing them meant he would save money. I do not see how that works if he already bought the 256GB SSD. 

And yes, that is what my suggestion was/would be.

He might have been thinking of buying a single equivalently sized SSD instead of going with two drives.

Well the only disadvantage of mixing two brands of drives (assuming you already know the risks of raid 0) is that you will always be bottlenecked at the speed of your slowest drive. You will also be overpaying for one drive if a cheaper one fails because having one drive be a better quality won't improve the quality of your overall raid system.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

wat

I olraidy bought a new one for my laptop and the raid 0 is for the desktop. In the desktop i currently have a 128gb m4 and th3 128gb 830 that came out my laptop is laining around so i want to raid that drive in my desktop so i dont have to buy a bigge ssd gor my DESKTOP!

Q

I olraidy bought a new one for my laptop and the raid 0 is for the desktop. In the desktop i currently have a 128gb m4 and th3 128gb 830 that came out my laptop is laining around so i want to raid that drive in my desktop so i dont have to buy a bigge ssd gor my DESKTOP!

Q

Ok, so, as suggested, just put both in your Desktop, but do not RAID them together. You will get the same capacity size without risking your data or wasting your time. 

† Christian Member †