R9 280 getting up to 85°C while gaming, normal?

JorenBus
2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

HardwareCanucks seem to like that case. 

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=975 Product manual does show support for M-ATX mother boards. 

Oh and please do consider buying a new PSU as well

Well it was thanks to hardwarecanucks that I saw that case :D

Why new PSU? This forum recommended that one.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

8 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

That's crazy!  O.o

No one here would recommend THAT power supply... would they?  :(

@JorenBus  You could just cut holes under the GPU to let air into the GPU.  Remove all your parts first though... and make some cloth filter to keep dust out as well.

3 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Was it recommended under a tight budget? 

I do know the VS550 is a pretty good PSU for tight budgets. But considering that you are running pretty high end components and you'd probably overclock them. I wouldn't trust a PSU that isn't even 80+ bronze for that.

Its all the way down in tier 7. Worst than a CX even. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I just removed my side panel and now it's running at 73°C in overwatch.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

4 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

I am serious about drilling holes.  Make like 50 holes in the bottom of the case and make a dust filter out of cloth.

7 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Well there it is. Airflow problem. 

You have the money for your new case right? I would advise you to get a better PSU with that money first. 

Again, do you have a spare fan? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

You have the money for your new case right? I would advise you to get a better PSU with that money first. 

Alright I'll have a look at a better PSU.

No I don't think so. Also, in this case I can only place 1 more fan, at the very bottom in the front.

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Don't make the kid buy a new PSU.  So he has a crappy PSU.  One day it will die and then he can buy a new one.

Contrary to the scare tactics people use here, a dead PSU does not usually result in any other damage to the PC.  I have had two very crappy PSUs die while in a machine, nothing happened.

1 minute ago, JorenBus said:

Alright I'll have a look at a better PSU.

No I don't think so. Also, in this case I can only place 1 more fan, at the very bottom in the front.

Yes that's where you should be placing the fan. That was what helped my r7 265 tremendously. You have a fresh air intake on the bottom front. Don't let it go to waste.

Again it doesn't need to only be a case fan. it just needs fan that can plug into the mobo. Like a cpu fan. 

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Don't make the kid buy a new PSU.  So he has a crappy PSU.  One day it will die and then he can buy a new one.

Contrary to the scare tactics people use here, a dead PSU does not usually result in any other damage to the PC.  I have had two very crappy PSUs die while in a machine, nothing happened.

I'm recommending him the PSU since OP doesn't need a new case yet. Its just simply prioritizing a more important component over the other. 

Reference cooler = Hot hot hot

So yes its normal.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

7 minutes ago, sof006 said:

So yes its normal.

It's an MSI cooler.

thats because its amd lol, but add more fans if you wanna cool it without liquid and make sure you have good airflow in your case.

5 hours ago, JorenBus said:

It's an MSI cooler.

My bad, I read ref cooler somewhere in the thread. Was typing while doing something else at the same time.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

12 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

85*C is too hot for a stock 280X as well

its heavily oc'd and the xfx DD but i do plan on changing the thermal paste

6 hours ago, sof006 said:

So yes its normal.

Reference 7950 (280) ran at 72*C - not sure what you mean - only the 290(X) coolers were tosh

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6