Intel CPU/Mobo for $220?

Tmt97

So I'm having some problems with my pc that are kinda forcing my hand in upgrading it. I have $140, and I'm guessing I can probably get another $80 if I sell off my fx 6300 cpu(maybe?). So would I realistically be able to get an intel cpu equivalent or better in performance than an fx 6300 and a mobo within the budget of $220? (yes $220, not $225, not $230, not $300. When I say I have a budget, I mean this is what I CAN pay, not what I'd like to pay...) I just need to know if that's something I can realistically except out of a $220 budget, so that I can assess my options here. :/ 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

So I'm having some problems with my pc that are kinda forcing my hand in upgrading it. I have $140, and I'm guessing I can probably get another $80 if I sell off my fx 6300 cpu(maybe?). So would I realistically be able to get an intel cpu equivalent or better in performance than an fx 6300 and a mobo within the budget of $220? (yes $220, not $225, not $230, not $300. When I say I have a budget, I mean this is what I CAN pay, not what I'd like to pay...) I just need to know if that's something I can realistically except out of a $220 budget, so that I can assess my options here. :/ 

Could you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing?

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Could you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing?

Get comfortable lol. It all started a while ago when I was playing modded mc and noticed that even though I had 8 gigs of ram, I could only allocate 2 gigs. Then I look in system under control panel and I see that under ram it says "8gb (3.97gb usable)" So I figure its a problem with my ram since its a an old kit I salvaged out of an older pc in the trash. I ordered a kit of 16gb(2x8) to replace it. It arrives today and I install it only to find that it only sees 7.97gb as usable out of the 16gb installed XD. So I ask for help on the forums only to find that no one has a clue what the problem is. First thought it was software, but after trying different configurations of ram in different slots of the mobo, I found that maybe it was hardware. I know what your thinking: dead slots maybe? Nope! After hours of testing to confirm the results I was getting were repeatable I found that theres no discernible pattern for the results I'm getting with each configuration. Some configurations show as less available ram than others, some show as less installed ram, some cause the fans to spin but no video output when I turn on the computer. After testing it a while I'm running into a problem where the computer will randomly stop turning on and the only thing that fixes it is to reseat the 24pin connector. Since my motherboard always has acted a little weird(but not this bad) and since the kit of ram I'm using is new and just got here in the mail I can only assume its a problem with the board. Since I have no intention of wasting money to buy another am3 board when I plan to upgrade to 1151 socket anyway, I'm trying to look into that option.

TLDR: I suspect my mobo is causing the longterm odd behavior I'd observed in my pc, some bizare memory bugs, and has some kind of power issue.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Get comfortable lol. It all started a while ago when I was playing modded mc and noticed that even though I had 8 gigs of ram, I could only allocate 2 gigs. Then I look in system under control panel and I see that under ram it says "8gb (3.97gb usable)" So I figure its a problem with my ram since its a an old kit I salvaged out of an older pc in the trash. I ordered a kit of 16gb(2x8) to replace it. It arrives today and I install it only to find that it only sees 7.97gb as usable out of the 16gb installed XD. So I ask for help on the forums only to find that no one has a clue what the problem is. First thought it was software, but after trying different configurations of ram in different slots of the mobo, I found that maybe it was hardware. I know what your thinking: dead slots maybe? Nope! After hours of testing to confirm the results I was getting were repeatable I found that theres no discernible pattern for the results I'm getting with each configuration. Some configurations show as less available ram than others, some show as less installed ram, some cause the fans to spin but no video output when I turn on the computer. After testing it a while I'm running into a problem where the computer will randomly stop turning on and the only thing that fixes it is to reseat the 24pin connector. Since my motherboard always has acted a little weird(but not this bad) and since the kit of ram I'm using is new and just got here in the mail I can only assume its a problem with the board. Since I have no intention of wasting money to buy another am3 board when I plan to upgrade to 1151 socket anyway, I'm trying to look into that option.

TLDR: I suspect my mobo is causing the longterm odd behavior I'd observed in my pc, some bizare memory bugs, and has some kind of power issue.

Are you sure that you're running 64-bit Windows? Definitely doesn't seem to be related to the issue the more I read into it.

I'm slightly concerned for the power supply, but it's probably not the issue.

Definitely strange.

If you're wanting to go 1151, you'll probably want to go for an i3-6100 or something. I'm not sure you can get a desktop i5 and board in that budget. And with an i3 I don't think you'd get better performance than you're getting with your FX6 in most cases.

Sig under construction.

Are you sure that you're running 64-bit Windows? Definitely doesn't seem to be related to the issue the more I read into it.

I'm slightly concerned for the power supply, but it's probably not the issue.

Definitely strange.

Yes, I've been asked that before. I am %100 sure I am running 64bit windows. I have multiple reasons to be certain that this is the case:

1. I installed 64bit professional.

2. In system under control panel, it says "64-bit Operating System, x84- based processor"

3. 32bit windows has a maximum of 4gb, yet I currently have 7.97GB available out of the 16gb installed.

Yea, I was a bit spooked bout the psu as well, but the more I thought about it I kinda doubt its the problem. Its a good psu, I've had no problems with it before, and the power problem only occurs with my motherboard.

Yea, its strange... Its weird af, ruin your whole day, and send you into panic mode kind of strange... But seeing as I can now add your name to the long list of people who I've explained my problem to and don't have the faintest idea how to fix it, I'm even more certain I need to get rid of this cursed motherboard before it ends up messing up my other components...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Yes, I've been asked that before. I am %100 sure I am running 64bit windows. I have multiple reasons to be certain that this is the case:

1. I installed 64bit professional.

2. In system under control panel, it says "64-bit Operating System, x84- based processor"

3. 32bit windows has a maximum of 4gb, yet I currently have 7.97GB available out of the 16gb installed.

Yea, I was a bit spooked bout the psu as well, but the more I thought about it I kinda doubt its the problem. Its a good psu, I've had no problems with it before, and the power problem only occurs with my motherboard.

Yea, its strange... Its weird af, ruin your whole day, and send you into panic mode kind of strange... But seeing as I can now add your name to the long list of people who I've explained my problem to and don't have the faintest idea how to fix it, I'm even more certain I need to get rid of this cursed motherboard before it ends up messing up my other components...

3. Does PAE not apply?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sig under construction.

3. Does PAE not apply?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Whats PAE stand for? Also on the original topic, do you think I can fit a motherboard, and 1151 intel cpu with equivalent or better performance to an fx 6300 in a budget of $220? xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

5 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Whats PAE stand for? Also on the original topic, do you think I can fit a motherboard, and 1151 intel cpu with equivalent or better performance to an fx 6300 in a budget of $220? xD

PAE stands for Physical Address Extension. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa366796%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 - but I guess it can't apply in this case since you're running 64-bit.

Aand I came close...

If you had an extra $8, that would probably do it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $227.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:26 EDT-0400

But you'd need to get new RAM.

Sig under construction.

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Yes, However, I would recommend spending more so you can get a CPU that you will want to stay with for a long time in 1151.  This would include selling both kits of RAM since I am assuming the AM3 mobo doesn't do DDR4...  Really, I'd recommend spending more so you don't have to get an i3, which isn't too bad.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Here's a haswell system, so you won't need new RAM. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $213.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:28 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

PAE stands for Physical Address Extension. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa366796%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 - but I guess it can't apply in this case since you're running 64-bit.

Aand I came close...

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($47.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $227.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:26 EDT-0400

So close lol, forgot to throw in the added complication, that I'd need an ATX mobo to fit all my pcie cards. xD fml

2 minutes ago, Weak1ings said:

Yes, However, I would recommend spending more so you can get a CPU that you will want to stay with for a long time in 1151.  This would include selling both kits of RAM since I am assuming the AM3 mobo doesn't do DDR4...  Really, I'd recommend spending more so you don't have to get an i3, which isn't too bad.

Yea, well its easy to say spend more, but actually doing that when the money isn't in your bank account is more of a paradox XD. And why would I have to sell my ram? I am certain I've seen 1151 mobos supporting ddr3...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

So close lol, forgot to throw in the added complication, that I'd need an ATX mobo to fit all my pcie cards. xD fml

Yea, well its easy to say spend more, but actually doing that when the money isn't in your bank account is more of a paradox XD. And why would I have to sell my ram? I am certain I've seen 1151 mobos supporting ddr3...

I edited my post just after you quoted it, saying you'd need to get new RAM as well.

And very few 1151 motherboards support DDR3. I think that in the case of you wanting to keep your current RAM, you might as well hold back to Haswell. Then you might be able to stay within budget.

Sig under construction.

4 minutes ago, Killervolt said:

Here's a haswell system, so you won't need new RAM. 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $213.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:28 EDT-0400

Why would I need to sell the ram though when theres 1151 mobos supporting ddr3 still? Also is haswell really worth moving to when its an older generation?

4 minutes ago, partypanda64 said:

windows 7, 8, or 10???

Dunno why its relevant but I'm running windows 10 64bit professional.

edit:

I edited my post just after you quoted it, saying you'd need to get new RAM as well.

And very few 1151 motherboards support DDR3. I think that in the case of you wanting to keep your current RAM, you might as well hold back to Haswell. Then you might be able to stay within budget.

again, do you think haswell is worth moving to when its an older generation? I wanna move forward, not backward. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Why would I need to sell the ram though when theres 1151 mobos supporting ddr3 still? Also is haswell really worth moving to when its an older generation?

windows 7 used to do the same thing to me, turned out it was malware sucking on my ram, making it appear as if it was system applications.

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

edit:

again, do you think haswell is worth moving to when its an older generation? I wanna move forward, not backward. xD

Well you would still be very much moving forwards?

And I don't see any real reason against using Haswell.

Sig under construction.

have you tried updating your BIOS?  the motherboard may not recognize the ram as 8gb each and setting it at 4gb each, for a total of 8. 

1 minute ago, partypanda64 said:

windows 7 used to do the same thing to me, turned out it was malware sucking on my ram, making it appear as if it was system applications.

This behavior continued after a fresh install of windows. I was originally using windows 8 when I had 8gb of ram and it showed 3.97gb as usable. Then I upgraded to windows 10 64bit professional for a college class I was taking that required it, and I continued to have the same behavior immediately after installation, so I doubt it was malware? However if theres something you did specifically that fixed it for your system I'd love to try it, can't make it much worse at this point.

3 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Well you would still be very much moving forwards?

And I don't see any real reason against using Haswell.

How does haswell compare to 1151? I'm open to using it if I can get the equivalent or better performance than I have now out of it, but I assumed since it was an older generation that it'd be worse. 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

This behavior continued after a fresh install of windows. I was originally using windows 8 when I had 8gb of ram and it showed 3.97gb as usable. Then I upgraded to windows 10 64bit professional for a college class I was taking that required it, and I continued to have the same behavior immediately after installation, so I doubt it was malware? However if theres something you did specifically that fixed it for your system I'd love to try it, can't make it much worse at this point.

How does haswell compare to 1151? I'm open to using it if I can get the equivalent or better performance than I have now out of it, but I assumed since it was an older generation that it'd be worse. 

You'll get pretty similar performance. Skylake has a slight IPC improvement over Haswell, but if you can actually afford a decent Haswell processor then it's definitely worth it over Skylake.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, cpuwaiy said:

have you tried updating your BIOS?  the motherboard may not recognize the ram as 8gb each and setting it at 4gb each, for a total of 8. 

I'm not sure how to update bios but I find this theory unlikely. If it recognized the ram as 4gb each then why would it report back that I had 16gb  installed and just 8gb usable? And if the motherboard didnt recognize it, then why would bios itself be reporting 16gb installed? 

4 minutes ago, Tedster said:

You'll get pretty similar performance. Skylake has a slight IPC improvement over Haswell, but if you can actually afford a decent Haswell processor then it's definitely worth it over Skylake.

Is the haswell system suggested before better or equivalent to an fx 6300? Also do you think I could fit an atx mobo in this budget? I don't think I'd be able to fit most of my pcie cards in a mATX mobo sadly... I know this is a very strained budget, but as you can tell this mobo of mine needs to go, and I probably won't have any more money coming in for a long while...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I'm not sure how to update bios but I find this theory unlikely. If it recognized the ram as 4gb each then why would it report back that I had 16gb  installed and just 8gb usable? And if the motherboard didnt recognize it, then why would bios itself be reporting 16gb installed? 

Is the haswell system suggested before better or equivalent to an fx 6300? Also do you think I could fit an atx mobo in this budget? I don't think I'd be able to fit most of my pcie cards in a mATX mobo sadly... I know this is a very strained budget, but as you can tell this mobo of mine needs to go, and I probably won't have any more money coming in for a long while...

what is your motherboard make and model#?

1 minute ago, cpuwaiy said:

what is your motherboard make and model#?

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Because recognizing and being able to use RAM can be different things.

Then I think that Skylake is out of the question

And let's see...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($52.97 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $222.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:51 EDT-0400

This might work.  I'm not sure how the slots would be shared though.

Sig under construction.

6 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

is it revision 1.0 or 2.x?  That should be on the motherboard.

Stupid MB manufacturers

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Because recognizing and being able to use RAM can be different things.

Then I think that Skylake is out of the question

And let's see...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($52.97 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $222.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 22:51 EDT-0400

This might work.  I'm not sure how the slots would be shared though.

Welp, one of my pcie cards would have to go as my two slot video card would block one of the pciex1 slots, but I might be able to make this work XD. Assuming I can sell my current cpu for $80, and I can get the extra $2 from quarters in the bottom of a public fountain or something(legit not even joking here...). Noob question here, but can I overclock that cpu? I have a decent aio cooler which could probably handle the extra heat.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!