Looking for a new router, time to go AC?

Jupakazoid
Go to solution Solved by CwGoh,

ASUS hands down IMO. Since good routers last a few years, the AC66U will give good AC performance along its service life, and by the time you need to upgrade again, AC would have been a finalised standard and better routers would already be on the market. But if you want to save a few bucks, just go with the RT-N66U, since many clients won't have AC for quite awhile and it has the best N performance.

So I'm in the market for a router. The current one I use is Comcast's Xfinity All-in-one and it's Comcastic (it's really, REALLY bad).

There is two computers hardwired in, and the only wireless device is my HTC One. Now the thing is, I like to use my phone to stream HQ Video (YouTube mostly, among other things) to my room, which is upstairs on the other side of the house. I BARELY get my wireless in that room, and I spend a lot of time buffering instead of actually watching anything.

Would wireless AC help my range and penetration? The walls are wood, and it's really not THAT far away from where my router is, this router is just absolutely terribad. I don't move large files or anything over my network, so the throughput isn't a main concern for me.

I'm thinking AC is the way to go, and if so, does anybody have any decent recommendations for wireless AC routers? Budget of around ~$200 USD maximum. I was considering Asus's wireless AC router, but that's just because I find Asus tends to be a good choice for pretty much anything they make.

Thanks anyone and everyone for the help!

My Rig: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming, Intel Core i5-3570k, Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870x2, Asus Xonar DX, OCZ Fatal1ty 1000w, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Boot drive, 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD in Raid 1 w/ OCZ Vertex 3 60GB Cache

I have an Asus RT-N66U and iv found that to be excellent. The signal barely degrades as you get further from it, and can reach quite far.

Id either recommend that, or if their AC66U is similar then that one.

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

So from what it seems so far I can't really go wrong with any AC router from a reputable brand?

Asus RT-AC66U is actually what I was looking at originally. I just tend to find that doing some research and asking some questions is better than impulse buying like I was about to do  :P

My Rig: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming, Intel Core i5-3570k, Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870x2, Asus Xonar DX, OCZ Fatal1ty 1000w, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Boot drive, 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD in Raid 1 w/ OCZ Vertex 3 60GB Cache

Anything from Tp-Link would be a good choice.

we use a 14 euro TP-link router with 5 ports and wifi, and 1080p streaming works fine on two laptops at a time.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

ASUS hands down IMO. Since good routers last a few years, the AC66U will give good AC performance along its service life, and by the time you need to upgrade again, AC would have been a finalised standard and better routers would already be on the market. But if you want to save a few bucks, just go with the RT-N66U, since many clients won't have AC for quite awhile and it has the best N performance.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

If you plan on having more devices than just the HTC One I would suggest it. Also if you have the extra money, it's easier to buy one now than in 2 years when your new 4k phone needs the extra bandwidth, although by then technology will have improved.

There might be a laptop and a third computer on the network here soon. So I'm definitely going AC, no questions asked. Now I guess I'm going to go with the Asus wireless AC66U. Seems like a good choice.

I'd recommend holding off on the ASUS RT-AC66U and getting the ASUS RT-AC68U, which is going to be an update to the former. It'll be available starting in early October and can be pre-ordered on Newegg right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn