need help overclocking a i3 6100

hey everyone, im about to try overclock my cpu, will be my first time and my motherboard is a asrock z170 pro 4, whats the recommended settings and stuff to overclock my cpu

would be great if someone could help me :)

You could technically overclock it by changing the BCLK, but I wouldn't touch that value if I were you. Just leave it at 100MHz.

I hate to break it to you, but since you bought a locked processor, you can't change the multiplier, and that's the value you usually touch when OCing. So to put it short - you can't really OC with that processor.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

7 minutes ago, maccatackar said:

hey everyone, im about to try overclock my cpu, will be my first time and my motherboard is a asrock z170 pro 4, whats the recommended settings and stuff to overclock my cpu

overclock it the old school way using the FSB, memory clock and HT link. kids these days on this forum mostly only know how to overclock the easy way with the multiplier but using FSB is easy as well. just when you boost the FSB speed make sure to keep everything balanced to near stock speeds and you'll be fine.  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

16 minutes ago, maccatackar said:

Does your board still have SkyOC? If not, your chip isn't overclockable. Needs to have a K at the end of the SKU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 minutes ago, failblox said:

You could technically overclock it by changing the BCLK, but I wouldn't touch that value if I were you. Just leave it at 100MHz.

I hate to break it to you, but since you bought a locked processor, you can't change the multiplier, and that's the value you usually touch when OCing. So to put it short - you can't really OC with that processor.

he can still overclock the cpu. its just the much harder old school way of overclocking. i actully prefer to overclock the old school way of overclocking via the FSB, northbridge, HT link, and memory multiplier.  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

overclock it the old school way using the FSB, memory clock and HT link. kids these days on this forum mostly only know how to overclock the easy way with the multiplier but using FSB is easy as well. just when you boost the FSB speed make sure to keep everything balanced to near stock speeds and you'll be fine.  

Do modern Intel CPUs even have front side bus architecture anymore? It was my understanding that they replaced that with DMI and Hypertransport after the Core 2 era. 

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Do modern Intel CPUs even have front side bus architecture anymore? It was my understanding that they replaced that with DMI and Hypertransport after the Core 2 era. 

the FSB HT link concent is an old late 2000's concept but on modern cpus they have something similar on them that work like the FSB 

so how do i do it? ive seen people do it videos? do i have get a older bios for my motherboard

3 hours ago, maccatackar said:

so how do i do it? ive seen people do it videos? do i have get a older bios for my motherboard

You can try with your default BIOS but I bet it wont POST if you increase BCLK over 102.50.

But you can download this BIOS and follow the guide on that site.

There are some drawbacks:

• No C-States.
  • No Turbo-Mode.
  • No iGPU.
  • Intel AVX is screwed.
  • Temp reading on cores is wrong.

10 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

he can still overclock the cpu. its just the much harder old school way of overclocking. i actully prefer to overclock the old school way of overclocking via the FSB, northbridge, HT link, and memory multiplier.  

FSBs and the northbridge don't exist anymore... They've been integrated onto other components. The reason most people don't recommend OCing using the BCLK is because many components in your computer are dependent on that frequency, so by changing that, you have no way of knowing what's causing instability when stress testing because there's so many factors. Those other components that are linked to the BCLK create a bottleneck that limits your ability to OC your CPU. The reason the multiplier method is used is because those values only affect the CPU, so you're able to isolate one component in your system and see how far you can push that without having to worry about affecting other components in your system that are already stable and you don't want to OC. Additionally, you may risk damaging (although very unlikely, I'll admit) other components in your system if you crank the BCLK up too high.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

2 hours ago, failblox said:

FSBs and the northbridge don't exist anymore... They've been integrated onto other components. The reason most people don't recommend OCing using the BCLK is because many components in your computer are dependent on that frequency, so by changing that, you have no way of knowing what's causing instability when stress testing because there's so many factors. Those other components that are linked to the BCLK create a bottleneck that limits your ability to OC your CPU. The reason the multiplier method is used is because those values only affect the CPU, so you're able to isolate one component in your system and see how far you can push that without having to worry about affecting other components in your system that are already stable and you don't want to OC. Additionally, you may risk damaging (although very unlikely, I'll admit) other components in your system if you crank the BCLK up too high.

just like is said above the new thing (BCLK) is similar to the FSB and northbridge. back then OCing with the FSB would also increase everything else as well so you would have to balance everything else out if you wanted to OC just the CPU. and for the damage other components concern that also applies with the FSB as well since if you crank the FSB too high without lowering anything else you could end up blowing out the northbridge, IMC, RAM, southbridge, ect. as long as you balance everything else when increasing the BCLK then nothing should blow out on you unless you crank the BCLK to some crazy high number without balancing anything else in the process. 

53 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

just like is said above the new thing (BCLK) is similar to the FSB and northbridge. back then OCing with the FSB would also increase everything else as well so you would have to balance everything else out if you wanted to OC just the CPU. and for the damage other components concern that also applies with the FSB as well since if you crank the FSB too high without lowering anything else you could end up blowing out the northbridge, IMC, RAM, southbridge, ect. as long as you balance everything else when increasing the BCLK then nothing should blow out on you unless you crank the BCLK to some crazy high number without balancing anything else in the process. 

Okay, so which parameters would you adjust to only OC the CPU by adjusting the BCLK?

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

BCLK on Haswell and BCLK on Skylake aren't the same think and don't control the same things.

I bring this up because there is a lot of "general" advice being tossed out that doesn't work across all BCLK CPUs.