Migrating LSI RAID Card and all drives to a new PC

Go to solution Solved by xBlizzDevious,

Label each of the drives and cables and make sure you plug them back in in the same order, but you should be just fine. I've not had experience with LSI cards so can't guarantee it, but it worked fine for my Highpoint RocketRAID card.

My current Server is running on some old hardware - a dual core Xeon running on the LGA775 platform, with Windows Home Server 2011 running on top. It's a pretty old platform, and I have some (slightly) newer hardware I'd like to use.

However, I don't want to rebuild my array. I have an LSI 8888ELP RAID Card, hooked directly into a Rackable SE3016 SAS expander - all the HDD's in question are in the SAS expander. (6 of them, of various capacities right now)

I'd like to know if I can simply take out the RAID Card, drop it into a new computer (Installing drivers, of course), hook up the SAS Expander, and will the OS be able to just see all my drives? Is there any special requirement for migrating a RAID Card and existing config to a new computer?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Label each of the drives and cables and make sure you plug them back in in the same order, but you should be just fine. I've not had experience with LSI cards so can't guarantee it, but it worked fine for my Highpoint RocketRAID card.

1 minute ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Labelling everything shouldn't be a problem. All the drives are in the SAS Expander, and it's just a single SFF-8088 cable from Port "A" on the RAID Card to Port "1" on the SAS Expander.

I did find out last night after swapping out a dead hard drive, that it IS important to put the cable back into Port "A" on the RAID card though :P Windows didn't see any of the drives. But swapping the cable back to "A" and rebooting, and bam, there they were again.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Swapping should be fine, your drives only care about the RAID controller. The main thing is as @xBlizzDevious pointed out,make certain you plug the drives back into the correct port number. Software RAID's don't matter, as it identifies its place by 'RAID data' on the disks.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Yes you can move the RAID card to a new system and it will work fine. It's one of the nice things about hardware RAID is that the array is system independent and can be moved very easily.

Yep, it'll be fine. I moved my drives from my desktop PC (Which was using SAS to sata breakout cables) to a server chassis with a backplane. I'm honestly not sure if I actually did put the drives back in the right order, but the RAID card picked it up even though I had it on a backplane now via a SAS to SAS expander built into the backplane. It is a nice feature of a hardware RAID card.

3 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yep, it'll be fine. I moved my drives from my desktop PC (Which was using SAS to sata breakout cables) to a server chassis with a backplane. I'm honestly not sure if I actually did put the drives back in the right order, but the RAID card picked it up even though I had it on a backplane now via a SAS to SAS expander built into the backplane. It is a nice feature of a hardware RAID card.

SAS/SATA RAID doesn't actually care about port ID's etc as long as all disks are present on the controller, only old parallel SCSI cared and that was more of a SCSI thing than RAID.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I hoped was the case! I will likely open a thread to document my upgrades when I get the chance. Moving soon though, so not sure if it'll be before or after the move.