Backups windows 8

manofcolombia

Recently got my hands on an ssd for my gaming rig (840 evo *amazing*)

So I did a clean install and I've got a 2 tb green for my storage/mainly games. And another 1 tb green for backups. Right now I'm just using the Windows 7 backup utility within windows 8 but I wondering:

1. Is this utility also backing up my games that are installed on my storage drive? Since backup size is really only about 75 gb. Unless compression has gotten THAT good.

2. If anyone has any suggestions as to backup software that will fit my backup needs. Because right now as I understand it if I were to lose everything due to my drives dying. If I went and purchased identical drives and tried to restore from that system image. It would restore everything the ssd... Which would have the reg entries for those game installs... But then those files from the installs wouldn't exist... This would create various error and indexing issues correct?

3. Eventually I'll be getting a couple more evos and setting up a delicious raid 0 array. I could be wrong but that would show up as logically one drive within the OS making the backups simple. Or is there a backup utility out there that caters and plays nice with raid 0?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

1. It's probably just backing up your Windows and essential files excluding your games.

2. Not sure.

3. It will show up as one drive in windows. I'm not sure why you'd want to raid 0 ssd's though. It only benefits sequential transfers which really only matter if you move large files around all day. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't use Windows 7 backup utility in Windows 8, it has been removed in Win8.1

Oh that's just dandy wth are we supposed to use for backups? File history Deff instead enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

"File history Deff instead enough."? I don't understand. But yes you have that, which works very well.

Yes you can access the latest version of your files, if you plug the drive on another computer, and look through the files. everything is stores in a folder called "File History".

If you want to do an image of your system,

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrington/archive/2012/04/01/create-a-windows-8-refresh-image-with-recimg-exe.aspx