Hover - Book-shaped selfie drone

RousedPotato

I found this article earlier today, though it was interesting enough to share. It is a foldable/portable selfie drone that fits in your bag and can be used for short video recordings and photo-shots.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/zero-zero-robotics-launches-hover-flying-camera/

Quick summary of artical:

Unfold and toss in the air
Just under 0.55 pounds 
Carbon Fibre body
There’s no GPS or any sort of built-in tracking sensor

Tracks faces, bodies, and surroundings

2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset 

Shooting 13-megapixel photos and 4K video at 30 frames-per-second
Single-axis gimbal & electronic image stabilization

Developed all of its proprietary technologies, from face detection to flight-control algorithms

It will list for $600; not exactly cheap

Hover will stay active for only 8 minutes, but Zero Zero plans to supply four batteries with the unit (physics issue that’s associated with lithium-ion)

"Wang threw the Hover into the air and it quickly stabilized itself in-flight, and safely landed itself when the kill switch was pressed"

technically its not a drone. Also i hate quadcopters that are controlled by a smartphone have had a couple and the minute wifi or bluetooth dips in signal they go crazy. one of them even flew away.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

technically its not a drone. Also i hate quadcopters that are controlled by a smartphone have had a couple and the minute wifi or bluetooth dips in signal they go crazy. one of them even flew away.

Based on listing complaints here about "quadcopters controlled by a smartphone", I assume that the reason you're calling it "Not a drone" is because you think it's remote controlled? If so, then you are misinformed. I have no guarantees about what will end up being delivered, but the video shows it as almost entirely self-controlled with the smartphone interface only being used for a few specific things.

The design and the tech behind is cool. But if the sole purpose is to take selfie video, than it's a fxxking waste.