To update the BIOS I need to install each version separately or just the latest version?

Hi,

My motherboard has like 4 BIOS updates available, Do I need to install them each version separately or just the latest version once?.

Latest version only.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Only the latest. If it's the case that you have an msi board make sure to turn off oc genie if you have that on, or the flash will fail.

Just make sure none of them say you have to be running a certain version before installing the latest. Sometimes there will be a large enough change where you can't just jump to the very last one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Just make sure none of them say you have to be running a certain version before installing the latest. Sometimes there will be a large enough change where you can't just jump to the very last one.

The latest version contains all the changes the previous revisions do.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It should, yah, I just know a long time ago there would sometimes be major revision changes so you had to be on at least a certain code before jumping to the latest. Haven't messed with BIOS updates in a while so not sure what might have changed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

not always

I've seen FW updates that required the equipment, in this case mobo, to be running a specific FW version

Just now, zMeul said:

not always

I've seen FW updates that required the equipment, in this case mobo, to be running a specific FW version

Do you have any examples?

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Latest version only.

3 hours ago, SparkyRain said:

Only the latest. If it's the case that you have an msi board make sure to turn off oc genie if you have that on, or the flash will fail.

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Do I need to install the intel management engine interface and SATA?

My motherboard is an Asus Z170i Pro gaming

Just now, RGT said:

I do not believe Intel Management Engine Interface is required, but I would install the SATA drivers.

14 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you have any examples?

for mobos? on top of my head, no

but I can give you an example for routers since I did a FW update just a few days ago: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN18U/HelpDesk_Download/

ASUS RT-N18U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9545
[Important] 
If your firmware is older than 3.0.0.4.378.9216, please upgrade to 3.0.0.4.378.8041 first. Only 3.0.0.4.378.8041 can upgrade to the firmware after 3.0.0.4.378.9216

Edited by zMeul

1 minute ago, RGT said:

That's a driver not bios related.

Here's the bios file. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170I_PRO_GAMING/Z170I-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-0806.zip?_ga=1.70767956.515873020.1461625748

Extract it to usb then enter bios. From there select ezflash. Wizard will ask you where the bios is. Hit ok and don't turn off the computer unless save.

As above, latest version is all that's needed usually... I will make one note though, make sure you are on the correct region, I had an issue with my MSI quite a while back, for some reason the updater had me set to the wrong region and it flashed the wrong bios and gave me problems... so once I realised where I got the problems from I manually went to the correct region website instead and downloaded and re-flashed correct BIOS. I now don't trust the auto updaters so much, I always check on the website just to be sure.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

As above, latest version is all that's needed usually... I will make one note though, make sure you are on the correct region, I had an issue with my MSI quite a while back, for some reason the updater had me set to the wrong region and it flashed the wrong bios and gave me problems... so once I realised where I got the problems from I manually went to the correct region website instead and downloaded and re-flashed correct BIOS. I now don't trust the auto updaters so much, I always check on the website just to be sure.

3 hours ago, SparkyRain said:

That's a driver not bios related.

Here's the bios file. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170I_PRO_GAMING/Z170I-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-0806.zip?_ga=1.70767956.515873020.1461625748

Extract it to usb then enter bios. From there select ezflash. Wizard will ask you where the bios is. Hit ok and don't turn off the computer unless save.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

on top of my head, no

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I do not believe Intel Management Engine Interface is required, but I would install the SATA drivers.

Last question guys..

What about the USB driver?, Do I need it?......

I don't understand the USB drivers listed here:

Z170I PRO GAMING   Motherboards   ASUS Global.jpeg

Dude you asked for bios update not for driver problems. Don't ya sell us out?! Make a new thread.

And usb 3, only win 7 doesn't support usb 3 out of the box. Win 10 and 8,1 however do, no driver needed.

7 minutes ago, RGT said:

Last question guys..

What about the USB driver?, Do I need it?......

I don't understand the USB drivers listed here:

Yes, I would install that as well.

The USB 3.1 driver is probably your normal USB 3.0 port. Unless it's specifically stated as being USB 3.1 Type-C, it's just normal USB 3.0. Confusing, I know.