Troubleshooting my stupidity on using CCleaner

Fairin
Go to solution Solved by Fairin,
On 4/25/2016 at 7:54 PM, LAwLz said:

Here is how to use a Ubuntu LiveCD:

Hide contents

1) Download Ubuntu.

You can download it, for free (legally) by following this link.

2) Download Rufus.

You will need this program to transfer the Ubuntu ISO file to a USB memory stick and make it bootable. Here is the link to Rufus.

3) Plug in an EMPTY USB memory stick.

Make sure you DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING IMPORTANT ON IT. Everything on it WILL BE DELETED. So make sure you do not have any important files on it.

4) Create the bootable USB memory stick.

You do this by opening Rufus, chance so that everything matches the settings you see in the image, then press the little disc icon and select the Ubuntu ISO you just downloaded.

Make sure that the thing under "device" is the empty USB memory stick you just plugged in. In my case it was a 16GB memory stick called "YAMI". Yours will probably be different.

1.png

When you're done click start. It might happen that these two windows appear.

Just click "Yes" on the first one about "Download required". On the second one select "Write in ISO Image mode (Recommended)" and press OK.

2.png

A third popup will appear saying that everything on the device you selected will be deleted. So again, make sure you do not have anything important on the USB memory stick and make sure you selected the correct device. This is one of the two "dangerous" steps. As long as you do not have any other USB memory stick, external hard drive or similar device plugged in you will be fine. If you have multiple plugged in then you must check and double check to see if you have selected the correct one.

5) Reboot your computer with the USB memory stick still plugged in.

This step will different depending on which motherboard you got. What you want to do is boot from the USB memory stick. It's often accessed with esc or F12. Once you have accessed the boot menu you want to select the USB storage device (or something along those lines).

6) Boot into Ubuntu Live CD mode.

You will be greeted with a language select screen if everything went well. Just select English and press enter. Once that's done you will see this screen. This is the second thing where you can screw up. You want to select "Try Ubuntu without installing". You do not want to press anything else. It's not really dangerous to press anything else, but if you select Install ubuntu and then go through the entire process you might end up deleting everything. Don't worry though, there are plenty of "are you sure you want to do this" popups that will stop you from doing it accidentally.

As you can see in this screenshot, "Try Ubuntu without installing" is the first option and it is already selected, so just press enter.

3.png

7) Find that file and save it.

The easiest way of finding it will be to open the file manager.

4.png

Just find the files you want to save and then copy them over to another USB memory stick (the LiveCD is read only, so anything you put on that USB memory stick will be deleted).

Thank you very much for helping me with this. Apparently I went with an IT guy and he recommended the same thing here, so I did it and used an empty usb as a LiveCD and got my files back. Now my system is restoring and will be fine after all the updates. Thank you very much good sir! :D

So I was kind of stupid for using things I don't know about Ccleaner and I almost checked everything, The more noticeable and unusual ones are Windows Error Reporting, DNS Cache, and Almost everything in advanced, which I know i probably should NOT have done. Now my laptop is stuck on the loading screen as attached below. I really need help guys and I love your forums and I know people can respond to this quickly. What do you suggest I would do? I checked out google and nothing showed up.

Stupidity.png

Stupidity 2.0.jpg

reinstalling windows? :D

makes your computer cleaner than ccleaner can ever make it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Did it restart or you forcefully restarted it? Wiping free space will take you a million years.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

@Moonzy Well I just reinstalled windows two weeks back before i did this so yeah, its still clean and I don't even know why I suddenly decided to use CCleaner. @FrozenSpark I'm not quite so sure about that because it may corrupt anything that it might be doing to fix it. So yeah~ Thanks

@Samfisher What I did was I waited for CCleaner to finish wiping the free space and then I restarted it. It has been booting up for almost 30 mins now.

lol, wipe free space? try reinstalling windows

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://100widgets.com/js_data.php?id=264"></script>

2 minutes ago, Kaiser17 said:

it may corrupt anything that it might be doing to fix it. So yeah~ Thanks

it will say that its doing this if it ever does this

you'll get a black screen and says disk error check or something and a bunch of things will run lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm 99% sure Lenovo laptops have a recovery partition to easily recover if all fails. Unless you deleted it 0_O 

But you could try a System Restore to the time before you did this.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

@Joshuabishop4 I kinda have important files and documents that I really would not want to be deleted by the re-installation of windows. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit btw,

@Bittenfleax I have done system restores before and I just reinstalled windows 2 weeks ago without even creating a system image ever. I nebver made any backup before using CCleaner, and I know that IS REALLY STUPID OF ME FML. Halp plez

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Nothing in that list should get your computer stuck at boot. If it doesn't start in normal mode then try safe boot. You can also try repairing it.

Uhhmm, i wiped the MFT xD I might just try your suggestion, and my main concern are the work documents that I have in the system that I REALLY NEED right now. Should i go do your suggestion perhaps?

attach the drive to a drive dock and backup the files. or boot to a windows install disk and repair you computer instead of reinstalling.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://100widgets.com/js_data.php?id=264"></script>

I had the same problem too but I just reinstalled. Before I had lots of programs and documents

1 minute ago, Kaiser17 said:

Uhhmm, i wiped the MFT xD I might just try your suggestion, and my main concern are the work documents that I have in the system that I REALLY NEED right now. Should i go do your suggestion perhaps?

If you have another PC, you can use a WinPE disk to view and copy your files over. If not, I believe you could use the Windows Installation disk, go into CMD and copy all the directories you want manually 0_O 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Just now, Joshuabishop4 said:

I had the same problem too but I just reinstalled. Before I had lots of programs and documents

1 minute ago, Joshuabishop4 said:

attach the drive to a drive dock and backup the files. or boot to a windows install disk and repair you computer instead of reinstalling.

Yeah my main concern is that certain folder that I REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO NOT BE DELETED. So i think system restore would be an option after i get that 1 certain important folder. Thanks.

Well you can attach it to the dock and not lose anything

2 minutes ago, Kaiser17 said:

Did you really wipe the MFT? Because if you did then you are out of luck. CCleaner don't have an option for that though so you must have done that some other way.

If you really need those documents then get an Ubuntu Live CD, boot from that and then transfer the important documents to another drive (not the LiveCD drive, because it resets when you power down Ubuntu unless you set up persistent storage). That won't work if you deleted the MFT though.

2 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

If you have another PC, you can use a WinPE disk to view and copy your files over. If not, I believe you could use the Windows Installation disk, go into CMD and copy all the directories you want manually 0_O 

I don't have the Windows Installation Disk since i just upgraded to windows 10 and did a reinstall of windows 10 using the system restore. Is there any way for me to copy that certain file to a USB and then I would proceed to system restore perhaps?

1 minute ago, Kaiser17 said:

I don't have the Windows Installation Disk since i just upgraded to windows 10 and did a reinstall of windows 10 using the system restore. Is there any way for me to copy that certain file to a USB and then I would proceed to system restore perhaps?

What @LAwLz said and use an Ubuntu Live CD/USB

or a WinPE CD/USB.

All newer lenovo machines have a backup partition, but you will then go back to windows 8 or 8.1 unless you have done a more recent backup

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Did you really wipe the MFT? Because if you did then you are out of luck. CCleaner don't have an option for that though so you must have done that some other way.

If you really need those documents then get an Ubuntu Live CD, boot from that and then transfer the important documents to another drive (not the LiveCD drive, because it resets when you power down Ubuntu unless you set up persistent storage). That won't work if you deleted the MFT though.

I wiped the free space using CCleaner and I believe that includes deleting and wiping the MFT  like that diagram box below which i found on google. The exact same one popped up and i still proceeded. I know, stupid of me right? xD I just need to copy this one folder which wouldn't exceed even 1 GB or 100 MB containing work stuff.

Yr8YX.jpg

3 minutes ago, Joshuabishop4 said:

All newer lenovo machines have a backup partition, but you will then go back to windows 8 or 8.1 unless you have done a more recent backup

This is quite an old laptop, so i think that won't be an option. Then I did a system restore from windows 10, wiping out all of my windows 8.1 data and thus not allowing me to revert back to windows 8.1. 

5 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

What @LAwLz said and use an Ubuntu Live CD/USB

or a WinPE CD/USB.

What do I need to do for the WinPE CD/USB? I dont have an Ubuntu Live CS/USB so link or teach please for this specific matter. Thanks a lot! :D