Trying to setup dual monitors

Gregrs

Found a spare monitor, I plugged it in and it said that it needed input basically. So I'm trying to setup a second monitor, and it basically does nothing. The other screen is black. My computer recognizes that there is a second monitor, but whenever I try to extend the displays, it's just like "nah, you can't cant do that"

What are you connecting the monitors with? Have you tried win+p shortcut?

The monitor is connected with VGA, but I don't have VGA on my computer, so I'm using a VGA to DVI converter as well.

try change the dvi port since some doesn't have support for vga

Main build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD4  RAM: corsair ballistix 2400mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Asus GTX 970  PSU: corsair rm1000  SSD 1: Samsung 840evo 500gb  SSD 2: Samsung 850evo 500gb  HDD: Western Digital red 3tb  Case: Phanteks Enthoo pro M  CPU cooler: corsair h80i

Second build
CPU: i7 5820k  MotherBoard: Gigabyte x99 UD5 WIFI  RAM: G.skill 2666mhz 4x4gb  GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (soon to be upgraded)  PSU: corsair HX650  SSD: Samsung 850evo 250gb  Case: Cooler Master 430 elite  CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

Third build

CPU: xeon x5690  MotherBoard: Evga x58 classified 4way-sli  Ram: Patriot 1600mhz 4x3gb  GPU: Asus HD6970  PSU: fractal newton r2 1000w  SSD: crucial m500 240gb  Case: Cooler Master Haf X  CPU cooler: Mega Shadow

Okay, when the monitor is just plugged in, not connected to the computer, I get this on the screen.

r6y8af.jpg

But the second I plug the vga cable into my computer, it just goes black and doesn't do anything

29x7kig.jpg

Also, after I plug theVGA cable in, the green light (showing that it has power) starts blinking. But when the cable isn't in, the light is just on all the time.

@ExozeGD I already tried that, the screen was still black. I've even tried using only the second monitor, it just doesn't do anything.

Try connecting both screens and rebooting. If you have a working connection bios will show up on both monitors.

1 hour ago, Pesukarhu said:

Try connecting both screens and rebooting. If you have a working connection bios will show up on both monitors.

I tried that too. The screen only appeared on my main monitor, not my secondary one.

1 minute ago, Gregrs said:

I tried that too. The screen only appeared on my main monitor, not my secondary one.

Can you test the second monitor and cable on something else and see if it works?

1 hour ago, Pesukarhu said:

Can you test the second monitor and cable on something else and see if it works?

I'll get my PS2 and see if the monitor works with that.

Okay, so I got my brothers laptop and plugged it in, the display showed up. So I'm assuming it's a problem with the adapter...?

so4n5z.jpg

1 minute ago, Gregrs said:

Okay, so I got my brothers laptop and plugged it in, the display showed up. So I'm assuming it's a problem with the adapter...?

Could be the adapter or your gpu. Are you sure you plugged it in a dvi-i port?

I tried both ports, and it didn't work. 

I have the XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition GPU

rk8qc8.jpg

And this is the adapter I have

20t0745.jpg

Okay, I got it to work, but the problem is, when I'm using my main monitor and I hit (extend these displays) it makes the secondary monitor my main one, and my main one gets underscanned and is used like a secondary.

How do I fix this?

In windows display settings you can select the main screen with a little checkbox. In win10 it is hidden in advanced settings. Underscan can be changed in the advanced radeon settings.