New NAS Build for Movies/Streaming

I'm a complete noob when it comes to building a NAS setup.  Please help me and give me suggestions or recommendations. 

I've created this build based off what I've read on these forums. 

P.S. please don't try to change my MOBO, I love that mobo and I really don't want to change it.

Here is a link to the build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CtbwwP

I want to use this build for storing my movies on and streaming them to my TV or PCs hooked up on my network.

12 minutes ago, Colomon84 said:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to building a NAS setup.  Please help me and give me suggestions or recommendations. 

I've created this build based off what I've read on these forums. 

P.S. please don't try to change my MOBO, I love that mobo and I really don't want to change it.

Here is a link to the build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CtbwwP

I want to use this build for storing my movies on and streaming them to my TV or PCs hooked up on my network.

You dont really need 32GB of ram. can also get 2x8GB (16GB) kits cheaper than the full 4x8GB (32gb) kit. 8 or 16GB may be all you really need unless your doing editing, gameplay (which usually doesnt take more than 8 in games that even say 16GB at the minimum) And you could go for a cheaper motherboard. But as you say, nobody change it as it is your preference :)

well... you can drop that ram to 8 or 16 GB because its useless to have 32GB everything else its ok... its nas... anything works for that.... and the mobo.. yeah.. its a waste of money.....

14 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

You dont really need 32GB of ram. can also get 2x8GB (16GB) kits cheaper than the full 4x8GB (32gb) kit. 8 or 16GB may be all you really need unless your doing editing, gameplay (which usually doesnt take more than 8 in games that even say 16GB at the minimum) And you could go for a cheaper motherboard. But as you say, nobody change it as it is your preference :)

13 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

well... you can drop that ram to 8 or 16 GB because its useless to have 32GB everything else its ok... its nas... anything works for that.... and the mobo.. yeah.. its a waste of money.....

It's ideal to have 1gb ram per 1tb of storage. Yes 32gb is overkill. 16gb will be fine. 

97764cdae29c565b709d1cfcfc72beb1.png

This is the requirments list from FreeNAS:

http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Spoiler

cd7c0a832d5ffdddef8e20b5ab39140c.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

It's ideal to have 1gb ram per 1tb of storage. Yes 32gb is overkill. 16gb will be fine.

yes... ideal for what kind of storage?? -.- I dont think its for home use storage....... even 4 GB its fine...... he's not gona have more than 1-2 users on it and more than 1 thing copying .......

1 minute ago, Darel321 said:

yes... ideal for what kind of storage?? -.- I dont think its for home use storage....... even 4 GB its fine...... he's not gona have more than 1-2 users on it and more than 1 thing copying .......

could do 8GB just to be safe. 32$ for 2x4GB DDR3 is pretty good deal. saving 100$ from 32GB

Just now, Darel321 said:

yes... ideal for what kind of storage?? -.- I don't think its for home use storage....... even 4 GB its fine...... he's not gonna have more than 1-2 users on it and more than 1 thing copying .......

What are you talking about? 4gb is nothing. I've had to upgrade my NAS from 4gb to 16gb because it was using so much ram. Also, everyone who builds NAS or uses NAS will tell you that 4gb is not enough

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

could do 8GB just to be safe. 32$ for 2x4GB DDR3 is pretty good deal. saving 100$ from 32GB

safe for what?? xD I guess if hes gonna use it for gaming? no.. he need a gpu... drawing in autocad?? I doubt it... anyway... this forum is rly droping in quality... people replying to anything even if they have no idea how the stupid thing works.... nice

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

What are you talking about? 4gb is nothing. I've had to upgrade my NAS from 4gb to 16gb because it was using so much ram. Also, everyone who builds NAS or uses NAS will tell you that 4gb is not enough

well maybe you have a shity nas then....... whatever bro....

14 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

well maybe you have a shity nas then....... whatever bro....

What's with the attitude? Plus I have 4 people as well who ue it. Not just me. 

15 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

safe for what?? xD I guess if hes gonna use it for gaming? no.. he need a gpu... drawing in autocad?? I doubt it... anyway... this forum is rly droping in quality... people replying to anything even if they have no idea how the stupid thing works.... nice

Have you even used a NAS? Do you even understand what a NAS is? Seems like you don't know what you're talking about. Why would anyone use autocad on a nas? 

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What's with the attitude? Plus I have 4 people as well who is. Not just me. 

Have you even used a NAS? Do you even understand what a NAS is? Seems like you don't know what you're talking about. Why would anyone use autocad in a nas? 

yes.. I am a nas so... I know myself