Should I wait for Custom Coolers?

iPC

Hi, Im going to build a pc when the Geforce GTX 1080 comes out. I was wondering if it is necessary to wait longer for custom coolers for it, or if the reference cooler is enough. If it is enough, then what type of overclocking do you think I can get with the GTX 1080 reference? Thank you!

most certainly, it will be quieter and cooler. hell, there will probably be options at launch

i'm gonna guarantee you there's not gonna be much "wait" for the custom coolers, because in fact the custom cooler guys tend to get their hands on at least the dimensions and tdp of the card before you even get an official confirmation of its existance.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

i'm gonna guarantee you there's not gonna be much "wait" for the custom coolers, because in fact the custom cooler guys tend to get their hands on at least the dimensions and tdp of the card before you even get an official confirmation of its existance.

7 hours ago, Sam Z Man said:

We don't even know anything really about the card, hold up bro wait a while.

7 hours ago, SPG said:

most certainly, it will be quieter and cooler. hell, there will probably be options at launch

What do you think the price difference between a reference and custom cooler will be? The pc build I've planned out fits pretty exactly at my budget.

It depends to some extent how the custom cooler performs. It was inadequate for the 980 ti, unable to prevent thermal throttling in demanding games without the noise level being ramped up dramatically. I would generally wait a bit for a custom cooler if youre going to spend that much money on a graphics card.

Also If the leaked photos are right, I think the new cooler looks ridiculous. It looks like something Zotac would make. Just plain ugly, and looks were generally the main selling point for the previous reference design, so I wouldn't bother with this one unless there is a serious price discount and it really does a great job cooling.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

1 hour ago, iPC said:

What do you think the price difference between a reference and custom cooler will be? The pc build I've planned out fits pretty exactly at my budget.

Go look at the price difference between a reference cooled 970 and a custom cooler 970, it will most likely be the same.

1 hour ago, maizenblue said:

It depends to some extent how the custom cooler performs. It was inadequate for the 980 ti, unable to prevent thermal throttling in demanding games without the noise level being ramped up dramatically. I would generally wait a bit for a custom cooler if youre going to spend that much money on a graphics card.

Also If the leaked photos are right, I think the new cooler looks ridiculous. It looks like something Zotac would make. Just plain ugly, and looks were generally the main selling point for the previous reference design, so I wouldn't bother with this one unless there is a serious price discount and it really does a great job cooling.

1 hour ago, Sam Z Man said:

Go look at the price difference between a reference cooled 970 and a custom cooler 970, it will most likely be the same.

Thank you!