Intel Xeon E3-1230V2 any good?

MikeTz

Watch this:

Can you see who I talked about now?

still don't see my name there so why rage when quoting a post that refers to me.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Xeons are for editing :)

NO you can edit videos on any cpu, you can do gaming on xenons you can do editing on intel atom cpu's as well i dont say it will perform well but you CAN

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I LOL'ed. My Xeon just marginally slower than 3770 but much cheaper and i can pair it with cheaper board.

Budget gaming system for those that also need horsepower for compiling/editing.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I LOL'ed. My Xeon just marginally slower than 3770 but much cheaper and i can pair it with cheaper board.

Exactly!!! finally, another person with a Xeon who can prove my point.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I'm currently running an Intel Xeon E5-2620 on an ASRock Extreme 9 X79 Motherboard (Originally wanted an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard but it was a 1 month delay and I was in a rush and needed a machine quick), I need it for rendering/editing etc.... I'm also running a Quadro K4000 GPU, I do some light casual gaming and have not faced any stability problems and most games are running on Ultra settings with 1080p resolution quite smoothly not as smooth as a dedicated Gaming rig but smooth enough for me to enjoy and have fun. It's not designed for gaming but I don't think you should face any problems doing some light casual gaming... Xeons and Quadros peform very well for 24/7 and are basically catered for work environments and not meant for gaming but you can game on them, don't expect an exceptional gaming performance from them though.

I'm currently running an Intel Xeon E5-2620 on an ASRock Extreme 9 X79 Motherboard (Originally wanted an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard but it was a 1 month delay and I was in a rush and needed a machine quick), I need it for rendering/editing etc.... I'm also running a Quadro K4000 GPU, I do some light casual gaming and have not faced any stability problems and most games are running on Ultra settings with 1080p resolution quite smoothly not as smooth as a dedicated Gaming rig but smooth enough for me to enjoy and have fun. It's not designed for gaming but I don't think you should face any problems doing some light casual gaming... Xeons and Quadros peform very well for 24/7 and are basically catered for work environments and not meant for gaming but you can game on them, don't expect an exceptional gaming performance from them though.

Your wrong with one thing. You have Xeon e5, that's very very nice, but e5 is different from e3-1230v3. E3-1230v3 is actually produced based off desktop i5/i7 design, e5 however comes from the line of Extreme series (Extreme series are Xeons e5 cut down a bit here and there usually, at least that was the case with Sandy Bridge Extreme).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Your wrong with one thing. You have Xeon e5, that's very very nice, but e5 is different from e3-1230v3. E3-1230v3 is actually produced based off desktop i5/i7 design, e5 however comes from the line of Extreme series (Extreme series are Xeons e5 cut down a bit here and there usually, at least that was the case with Sandy Bridge Extreme).

I agree with you completely! My point was that you can "game" on a Xeon and that it is possible to actually have an enjoyable casual gaming experience. Also wanted to tell that you "might not" face stability problems by using a non-workstation motherboard. I apologize if my post was not framed correctly. Sorry :)

I agree with you completely! My point was that you can "game" on a Xeon and that it is possible to actually have an enjoyable casual gaming experience. Also wanted to tell that you "might not" face stability problems by using a non-workstation motherboard. I apologize if my post was not framed correctly. Sorry :)

Nah its okay.

Generally i do not know why people say "you can't use Xeon for gaming". It's not recommended but it's only because they are lower clocked generally to compensate for energy consumption of more than 4 cores. A x86 processor is always x86 processor even if it's called differently. It may feature different instruction sets but games almost never use anything more complicated than pure x86.

Nah its okay.

Generally i do not know why people say "you can't use Xeon for gaming". It's not recommended but it's only because they are lower clocked generally to compensate for energy consumption of more than 4 cores. A x86 processor is always x86 processor even if it's called differently. It may feature different instruction sets but games almost never use anything more complicated than pure x86.

Very true....

The Xeon series of CPU are more oriented towards workstations and servers, and often fall behind in gaming performance at a certain price point. Most consumers opt for the i7 or i5 series of CPU. The i7 offers hyperthreading technology which will provide better performance than the likes of an i5 in video editing and 3D situations. Intel Xeon processors are tested and rated for 24/7 usage at maximum load to ensure quality and stability for use in servers and the like. The Xeon E3-1230 V2 is an exception, it is more of an i7 without an integrated GPU, it also has various features than the average consumer would not use, such as features used in virtualization, which would be handled on a server. It is not recommended that a Xeon is used on a consumer grade system, however the E3-1230 V2 is a viable option. 

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

go for an e5.... there more middle ground than the e3 is

Character artist in the Games industry.

I wasn't speaking about a specific config.

Sure if the board manufacturer lists it in the HCL then its fine but a lot of time its not in there because of the issues I listed above.

What is HCL, is it the compatible processor list? Most of the time they just say i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron and don't explicitly say Xeon, where would they list it?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

You get the performance of the i7 3770 for the price of a i5 3570k but lose the ability to overclock. If you put in a server board you get ecc memory support. 

What is HCL, is it the compatible processor list? Most of the time they just say i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron and don't explicitly say Xeon, where would they list it?

You have to check the manufacturer's website.  They usually have a long list of each individual processor supported.  

There are subtle differences between the Core i7's and the E3-1230's. The memory controller is the biggest difference as the E3's support ECC. For those who are saying that the E3 1230 is a workstation CPU designed for video editing, you are wrong - it lacks the horsepower behind it. It's designed for server use in 1 RU servers and some blade setups - they make up a huge proportion of most data centres dedicated offerings. 

Yes Hardware Compatibility List.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<