Case Fans

JDalli

I'm going to be getting an hyper 212 evo cpu cooler, and im wondering what case fans i should get ? I need 3 case fans, thanks :)

Personal preference really. The Noctua fans are infamously quiet to run, but the Corsair AF/SP fans are the highest performance fans (albeit not the quietest). Your best bet is to read some reviews, and decide which ones fit your preferences.

3 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Personal preference really. The Noctua fans are infamously quiet to run, but the Corsair AF/SP fans are the highest performance fans (albeit not the quietest). Your best bet is to read some reviews, and decide which ones fit your preferences.

So getting 3 AF fans won't affect my pc ?

5 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Uhh, Corsair fans are bad. They are now where near the highest performance even in their price bracket.

1 minute ago, JDalli said:

So getting 3 AF fans won't affect my pc ?

Don't... If you want to spend real case fan money (corsair fans are NOT cheap), try out the Venturi Lineup (HP-12/4 and HF-12/4). Heck as odd as it might sound, I'd totally recommend the GP-12/4 fans as a all purpose case fan (very good performance to noise ratio.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That isn't what I said, the type of fan you get definitely affects the airflow of your case. You have to consider what case your using, what (if any) obstructions may demand the use of an SP fan instead of an AF fan. You have to consider how quiet you want your rig to be, higher RPM fans from brands with less reputation for being quiet, won't be quiet. Im assuming you want 1 fan in the back, 2 in the front, and 2 in the 212Evo. The included Noctua fans are great for cooling the Evo, so you shouldn't have to worry about changing those fans, because they are already whisper quiet and high performing. Most cases have driver bays in the front, and depending on how many drives you have installed, you may want to use an SP fan for one or both of the fans up front. 

Case fans are something that literally nobody is an expert in, just take peoples reviews, and decide for yourself what case fans you want to use.

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Uhh, Corsair fans are bad. They are now where near the highest performance even in their price bracket.

That blanket statement just isn't true. The majority of Corsair fans are far from good but there are a few gems like their ringed Quiet Edition fans.

High performance isn't something Corsair fans are lacking. Their SP120 PE's easily outperform similarly priced competitors. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/6

2 hours ago, positivePXL said:

The included Noctua fans are great for cooling the Evo, so you shouldn't have to worry about changing those fans, because they are already whisper quiet and high 

Case fans are something that literally nobody is an expert in, just take peoples reviews, and decide for yourself what case fans you want to use.

Included noctuas?

I wouldn't say there aren't any experts in fans. Someone had to design and make the fans and a number of others have made extensive comparisons between hundreds of them. 

@JDalliIt would help to mention the rest of your specs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That blanket statement just isn't true. The majority of Corsair fans are far from good but there are a few gems like their ringed Quiet Edition fans.

High performance isn't something Corsair fans are lacking. Their SP120 PE's easily outperform similarly priced competitors. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/6

Included noctuas?

I wouldn't say there aren't any experts in fans. Someone had to design and make the fans and a number of others have made extensive comparisons between hundreds of them. 

@JDalliIt would help to mention the rest of your specs.

It's not just that the fans are far from Stellar, it's that they compete in a price bracket that has dramatically improved in the last 4 years since that article (18-21 dollars per single fan).

Vardars, Venturi, Phanteks, Iterative improvements from NZXT (although loud, still very high performance), Corsair has since even done 3 generations of AIO cooler fans, while leaving their separate ones in the dust.

Shit even Noctua has a new fan generation on the way (finishing the A-series for 120mm variants.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/noctua-new-120mm-fan,29244.html

If you really wanted high performance in the similar bracket, NF-F12 iPPC sell for 23 dollars.

The specific QE ringed fans are much better by comparison, but still. I think we have had this conversation before. The gist is that my statement was a bit exaggeration, but too many people hold Corsair fans up on this pedestal they haven't come close to earning, or worse yet assume that because people like Jayztwocents use them it means they must be great!

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If you really wanted high performance in the similar bracket, NF-F12 iPPC sell for 23 dollars.

iPPC fans aren't worth the money for high performance alone. At high rpm's, they are far from quiet and are more suitable as a purchase for their durability. 

For less, Jetflos perform similarly. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4jfdp20prr1

Corsair's twin packs are about $20-25 and isn't the same price bracket as a single $23 fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

iPPC fans aren't worth the money for high performance alone. At high rpm's, they are far from quiet and are more suitable as a purchase for their durability. 

For less, Jetflos perform similarly. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4jfdp20prr1

Corsair's twin packs are about $20-25 and isn't the same price bracket as a single $23 fan. 

The iPPC example was me being pedantic over performance.

I was looking at the single pack price of 18-20 dollars and comparing by that. Obviously if you can find the twin packs that cheaply it is a different issue (which having looked, you totally can.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Can anybody give me their general opinion on what 3 fans I should get for my case? Thanks

12 hours ago, JDalli said:

Can anybody give me their general opinion on what 3 fans I should get for my case? Thanks

You never mentioned what case you have or what components you're cooling.

from experience just having air moving makes a good deal of difference, so even if you get basic air pushers you cover the cooling aspect well enough. Also it depends on what your noise preference is, because if you don't care just get some $5 fans and replace them in 3-4 years when they die

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W