Changing hard drives

Is it possible I can plug my hard drive from my current PC to another PC. Because my current PC is not working so I need my files 

yes they should be using SATA interface unless your HDD is IDE based

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If they are both windows PCs, then you should be able to view the files just fine since the formatting would be the same.

6 hours ago, TonaldDrump said:

~snip~

Hey there TonaldDrump :)

You should be able to use your drive as a secondary one on any other PC and access the files under two simple conditions: the interface of the drive has to be able to connect with the interface of your system; the PC needs to be able to read the drive's file format.

If the drive is a regular SATA drive you should be able to plug it in and the computer should be able to recognize it. If you are using Windows OS on both PCs you should be able to read the data. :)

Have in mind that you won't be able to boot from your old HDD on another computer as it will cause compatibility and driver issues. You would need to have another drive with a working OS in order to access this drive. :)

Plugging the drive externally via a dock station, enclosure or a SATA to USB cable is also a good option.

What's the drive's brand and model and what OS did you use it with?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

2 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there TonaldDrump :)

You should be able to use your drive as a secondary one on any other PC and access the files under two simple conditions: the interface of the drive has to be able to connect with the interface of your system; the PC needs to be able to read the drive's file format.

If the drive is a regular SATA drive you should be able to plug it in and the computer should be able to recognize it. If you are using Windows OS on both PCs you should be able to read the data. :)

Have in mind that you won't be able to boot from your old HDD on another computer as it will cause compatibility and driver issues. You would need to have another drive with a working OS in order to access this drive. :)

Plugging the drive externally via a dock station, enclosure or a SATA to USB cable is also a good option.

What's the drive's brand and model and what OS did you use it with?

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the info, my working px has windows 10 and wd blue as boot drive and my non working PC has toshiba 1tb drive. Both PC have windows 10 

1 hour ago, TonaldDrump said:

~snip~

In that case you should be able to see the drive easily on your computer once you connect it. Have in mind that connecting it internally would require you to do so when the PC is shut down. If you have problems finding your data check how the drive is recognized in Disk Management or post here for help :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

In that case you should be able to see the drive easily on your computer once you connect it. Have in mind that connecting it internally would require you to do so when the PC is shut down. If you have problems finding your data check how the drive is recognized in Disk Management or post here for help :)

Captain_WD.

Turns out my hard drive wasn't fitting in that PC. But I h bae another problem. The PC had a 750 so I removed the card out it I mine to test but I put it back in its old PC and now the PC shows the hp logo  then either says please wait or goes into a blank black screen.

11 hours ago, TonaldDrump said:

~snip~

When you plugged the HDD did you make sure the PC'd HDD is the first one in the boot order in BIOS? If the computer sees the new drive as the first one to boot from it will try and will fail until you unplug it. I would suggest going in BIOS and making sure the new HDD (that you are trying to get the data off of) is after the PC's native HDD. 

If all else fails you can try using a tool (dock station, enclosure, etc.) to connect the drive externally. The PC should recognize it and give you access to your data.

Captain_WD.