Need more storage, want an SSD and I'm broke lol (cheap SSD)

ScaryFatKidGT

So my laptop has a 750gb HDD I have full now so I need more space, I was looking into 2TB 2.5" drives for the price I might as well just get a 1TB SSD... However I keep reading bad things about TLC and I am sort of a power user, I live stream, do photo and video editing and play games, along with a huge amount of internet research but won't be writing to the drives like a server or anything. However resent car repairs have left me in debt and I don't have enough money to get or build the desktop I want with NVME SSD's at the moment, and kind of want to spend as little as posable vs doing what I usually do and getting the best performance with in reason for my application.

The SanDisk Ultra II is the cheapest right now at $235

Then the Crucial BX200 at $240

Both of these are very affordable and must be working for lots of people in lots of applications, will I have any issues with these? Then the class/industy leader Samsung 850 EVO is $50 more at $292, which is a lot better than the $359 they were a couple months ago but is still $50 more for essentially the same technology, it has a longer warranty but lets say my 850 EVO fails in 4 or 5 years, what are they going to do? Make me send it in an wait a month to send me a new 850 EVO? Or will they send me a 1250 EVO or whatever is out at the time?

For MLC stuff the SanDisk Extreme Pro is $350 and the 850 Pro $419, getting to over $100 more than the TLC options.

I should maybe eventually set up a NAS or RAID drive, but those are even more money and I don't know how well video editing over wi-fi would work, I kind of like picking up my laptop and knowing I have everything with me, I have a back up but it is a full mirror.

2 minutes ago, GN103 said:

I have but how well do they work with the 32GB SSD? I don't like things doing stuff without me knowing lol, like every time I open an application it could be different depending if it was still in the cache or not.

Do they work in OS X as well as windows?

yeah SSHD would be best for your price range... BUT... if you want an SSD Crucial tends to work a bit faster and is more reliable

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

1 minute ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

I have but how well do they work with the 32GB SSD? I don't like things doing stuff without me knowing lol, like every time I open an application it could be different depending if it was still in the cache or not.

Apples's Fusion drives are hybrid drives so yes they will work.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Supposedly they work at the hardware level and the OS just sees it as a normal disk, so whatever OS you use shouldn't notice- the experience is supposed to be seamless, but I have not personally put one into a system yet. 

1 minute ago, HrutkayMods said:

yeah SSHD would be best for your price range... BUT... if you want an SSD Crucial tends to work a bit faster and is more reliable

Are there any other SSHD's other than the one listed? Bigger SSD cashe? 2TB?

2 minutes ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

SSHD is just a HDD with a large solid state cache that stores your most used files so it'll boot like an SSD

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Apples's Fusion drives are hybrid drives so yes they will work.

2 minutes ago, GN103 said:

Supposedly they work at the hardware level and the OS just sees it as a normal disk, so whatever OS you use shouldn't notice- the experience is supposed to be seamless, but I have not personally put one into a system yet. 

Yeah but Apples SSHD "Fusion drives" will not work in bootcamp, just acts as a HDD, and are a pain in other ways.

Yeah but apples SSHD's will not work in bootcamp, just acts as a HDD.

If I understand correctly the OS will see it as a HDD, however it will be faster than a standard HDD

2 minutes ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

Are there any other SSHD's other than the one listed? Bigger SSD cashe? 2TB?

I think the biggest so far is 1TB unless you're looking for a desktop drive

Yeah but Apples SSHD "Fusion drives" will not work in bootcamp, just acts as a HDD, and are a pain in other ways.

Probably because they want you to think that OSX is a smoother experience than Windows.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

4 minutes ago, ScaryFatKidGT said:

So the seagate for $120 or Crusial MX200 for $240....

yeah I'd say those would be your best bets

My Sandisk Ultra II is great ;) I got it for $199 and it's definitely worth it even at $235, so much cheaper than the others.

Just now, TheCovertCamper said:

My Sandisk Ultra II is great ;) I got it for $199 and it's definitely worth it even at $235, so much cheaper than the others.

Isn't it a TLC SSD though which the OP is trying to avoid?

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Isn't it a TLC SSD though which the OP is trying to avoid?

If they think it's worth $100 for something that is only marginally better then they can justify it for themselves.

1 minute ago, TheCovertCamper said:

If they think it's worth $100 for something that is only marginally better then they can justify it for themselves.

TLC can go down to 100 MB/s or less which is pretty much on par with a regular HDD. I have an 840 EVO so I can't really talk too much but still.

TLC can go down to 100 MB/s or less which is pretty much on par with a regular HDD. I have an 840 EVO so I can't really talk too much but still.

Both of my SSD's are TLC and they always stay "fast." Don't really check too often but it's way faster than any HDD for sure.

Just now, TheCovertCamper said:

Both of my SSD's are TLC and they always stay "fast." Don't really check too often but it's way faster than any HDD for sure.

It's when you transfer a large amount of data that is larger than the SLC/MLC cache. Some drives have a bigger cache than others.

It's when you transfer a large amount of data that is larger than the SLC/MLC cache. Some drives have a bigger cache than others.

Gotcha, never really knew exactly how all of that worked