is the x99a gaming 9 motherboard good?

basicly stuff happened between yesterday and today, and ive lost my supply of my motherboard.

as in they dont carry it anymore.

anyways, im wonderinging, since i cant get the x99a xpower, is the x99a gaming motherboard still good for a 5820k?

yeah should be fine

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

it's a bit expensive, I mean when you motherboard starts to cost more than your CPU, then you probably have to rethink your budget

all x99 boards are good

have you looked at MSI X99 SLI PLUS ?

MSI is the only one that allows you to do 3-way SLI/CF with PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 on 5820K

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

9 minutes ago, DXMember said:

it's a bit expensive

all x99 boards are good

MSI is the only one that allows you to do 3-way SLI/CF with PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 on 5820K

red and blaco/yellow and black build lol

yeah, thats why im going with msi. also, they use good quality stufff

9 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

yeah should be fine

9 minutes ago, DXMember said:

it's a bit expensive, I mean when you motherboard starts to cost more than your CPU, then you probably have to rethink your budget

all x99 boards are good

with dal 390x cards...

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

all x99 boards are good

Not quite, but it is the only one that allows it on their ENTIRE LINEUP, which is a huge deal.

Also the SLI PLUS is nigh identical from a hardware perspective to the Gaming 7, outside that it uses a slightly worse audio codec.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

with dal 390x cards...

if you want red/yellow you can still get the MPower or one of MSI Gamings

oh... wait you are going for MSI gamings... hah, I thought you were looking at Gigabyte, they have the same name

still you can get one of the cheaper gaming boards like 7 or even lower

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not quite, but it is the only one that allows it on their ENTIRE LINEUP, which is a huge deal.

Can you name another motherboard that supports that on native PCI-E connections directly to CPU without using those weird honky-ass PLX bridges and basically running M.2 slot off the chipset?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

oh... wait you are going for MSI gamings... hah, I thought you were looking at Gigabyte, they have the same name

i want it to have the fancy "shielding" or "armouring" on the board

Can you name another motherboard that supports that on native PCI-E connections directly to CPU without using those weird honky-ass PLX bridges and basically running M.2 slot off the chipset?

my brain

18 minutes ago, DXMember said:

PLX is still support...

And the m.2 doesn't run off the chipset. It runs off the last 4 available lanes (8/8/8/4). That's the best part of the MSI version.

Ehh there was a thread on here that had the table of motherboards with said support. I don't remember which is which, but ASUS and ASROCK both had (some) boards with the capability. 

FOUND IT!

Gigabtye supports it on all their boards but the m.2 is limited to chipset speeds (2.0x4 effectively). Well at least for the lower-end boards.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5123#manual

Screenshot (67).png

MSI supports it on everything AND uses 3x4 for m.2!

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#down-manual

(See page 1-21 for OFFICIAL STATEMENT that it uses 3.0x4

Screenshot (66).png

ASUS only supports it on their ultra high end boards, same with ASROCK.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Also the SLI PLUS is nigh identical from a hardware perspective to the Gaming 7, outside that it uses a slightly worse audio codec.

1 hour ago, verydogesuchwow said:

yeah should be fine

basicly that mobos good and worth it right?

thanks

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

basicly that mobos good and worth it right?

thanks

I mean, I personally wouldn't call the gaming 9 worth it. But good yea sure.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

ocs good?

does it have the oc socket thing?

ocs good?

does it have the oc socket thing?

All of them do core OC well. Haswell-E isn't very motherboard variable (the only cpu less motherboard variable is the 4790k).

The only thing the OC socket helps a lot on (outside of extreme cooling/overvolting) is uncore overclocking. Even then at least 40x100 uncore should be possible no matter what.

(I have no idea if it has the OC socket, but I don't personally think it matters.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

whats the difference between the x99a gaming 9 and x99s gaming 9?

whats the difference between the x99a gaming 9 and x99s gaming 9?

USB 3.1 gen 2 on the A. Definitely want that.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

i see.

Thank you very much

question, $360 for a new, or $300 for an open box?

ebay

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

question, $360 for a new, or $300 for an open box?

ebay

Why not 200 for a new SLI Plus...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130841&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813130841&gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO2SGQF9dBQqFsm8Xg9E-EtocGtG3_xsVWsj50nR-U4qhoCnj7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm serious here, I really don't think the 9 is a good value. But given the two, and the fact you are already paying a lot for a motherboard, I'd say grab the new one.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'm serious here, I really don't think the 9 is a good value. But given the two, and the fact you are already paying a lot for a motherboard, I'd say grab the new one.

alright.

apparently he bought the wron gmobo for his cpu lol

alright.

apparently he bought the wron gmobo for his cpu lol

Lol.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

20 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130841&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813130841&gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO2SGQF9dBQqFsm8Xg9E-EtocGtG3_xsVWsj50nR-U4qhoCnj7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

30 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

PLX is still support...

And the m.2 doesn't run off the chipset. It runs off the last 4 available lanes (8/8/8/4). That's the best part of the MSI version.

Ehh there was a thread on here that had the table of motherboards with said support. I don't remember which is which, but ASUS and ASROCK both had (some) boards with the capability. 

FOUND IT!

Gigabtye supports it on all their boards but the m.2 is limited to chipset speeds (2.0x4 effectively). Well at least for the lower-end boards.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5123#manual

Screenshot (67).png

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#down-manual

(See page 1-21 for OFFICIAL STATEMENT that it uses 3.0x4

Screenshot (66).png

48 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Alright,

So seller just messaged me.

Xpower is available. If the x99a xpower is $303 and is missing a Sata cable and the Ian drive that comes with it, and the x99a gaming 9 is opened, but has everything, which should I get

29 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

PLX is still support...

Yes that's what I've been trying to tell you the whole time, there's not problem to support 3-way GPU, the problems begin when you want to throw in another PCI-E device on the last x4 lanes. MSI does it beautifully other sorta make it work and you basically have to get 40 lane CPU

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Xpower is available. If the x99a xpower is $303 and is missing a Sata cable and the Ian drive that comes with it, and the x99a gaming 9 is opened, but has everything, which should I get

Has he been doing LN2 overclocking on that thing?

Do you have SATA cables? if not you can buy them on ebay for like $3 per kilogram

What do you mean by missing LAN drive? You mean the driver disk that comes with the board or the LAN adapter is destroyed?

for $300 XPower board is a steal if it's in a good condition

43 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol.

\/\/

21 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Yes that's what I've been trying to tell you the whole time, there's not problem to support 3-way GPU, the problems begin when you want to throw in another PCI-E device on the last x4 lanes. MSI does it beautifully other sorta make it work and you basically have to get 40 lane CPU

So dual 390x+m.2 is fine?

19 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Has he been doing LN2 overclocking on that thing?

Do you have SATA cables? if not you can buy them on ebay for like $3 per kilogram

What do you mean by missing LAN drive? You mean the driver disk that comes with the board or the LAN adapter is destroyed?

for $300 XPower board is a steal if it's in a good condition

*usb drive

Stupid spell check

Its not a "bad" board.

But its basicly not worth its price point by all means.

Msi puts allot of bling on their boards, to attrackt buyers.

but its not realy worth it.

The overall quality of the vrm cirquitry is not as decent that it could justify its $400,- + price point imo.

It basicly has a similar vrm design as the Gaming 7 and Sli plus, which are a shit ton cheaper.

like @harrynowl allready pointed out in your other topic.

Those over price´d bling bling fancy Msi boards, dont realy have much reasons to exists, wenn you could grab a Asus Maximus V Extreme for arround the same price.

And if we talk about the Msi X99A Godlike gaming, it even costs more then the Asus rampage V Extreme 3.1, according to partpicker.

I'm not an Asus fangirl or brand biassed by all means, but overall quality is a thing that does matter to me, wenn a board gets solds as "Highend" :)

7 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

\/\/

So dual 390x+m.2 is fine?

*usb drive

Stupid spell check

Yes, you can do triple GPU with PCI-E M.2

USB drive - lol, then go for it as long as you are confident the board itself is in an excellent condition, drivers can be downloaded online