WiFi help

Hello guys. I need little help. I was thinking on setting up a large scale WiFi where I can limit users to 200 - 300.i want stream my own stuff for those users..i need help with hardware part.can anyone help ?

Not sure of your setting, but for WiFi infrastructure to support that many users, you're going to need commercial/enterprise grade gear.  Ubiquiti (not too expensive), or Cisco (many high-end features, but very expensive).

As far as "streaming", that's basically just server hardware and whatever infrastructure you need to support that. 

Perhaps describe your setting a bit more?  An office?  A public place?  How large of an area? 

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Not sure of your setting, but for WiFi infrastructure to support that many users, you're going to need commercial/enterprise grade gear.  Ubiquiti (not too expensive), or Cisco (many high-end features, but very expensive).

As far as "streaming", that's basically just server hardware and whatever infrastructure you need to support that. 

Perhaps describe your setting a bit more?  An office?  A public place?  How large of an area? 

I think he meant limit a common amount to users to 200-300 mbps. Right? 

As for streaming, we need more information, 

Like sharing files? streaming movies and music? or live video? etc

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

4 hours ago, RedWulf said:

4 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Thanks a lot for reply. It's a public area. There will be around 200-300 people who will be using the WiFi. I want to stream audio and sometimes live video .I am developing an radio app . I wanted to build a network where these people who are in my WiFi  network and who are using that app can use my radio.i am doing a survey for a project. So what to set a small wireless network for my locality..

4 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Thank you for reply :). It's a public place.ill be In an 6 storeyed building.i can build a small server .I am doing this as a project. I am in place with 500-1000 people community.so I want to bring at least few people under my network.

I am pretty sure you will not find ample help here on this forum for a project like this.

I  am not trying to be a buzzkill - I hope all the best for you, but you need to consider this:

Who is going to manage it for your?

How will you ensure QoS?

What will you do when hardware dies or fails or get vandalized or stolen?
What will be your backbone for this?

Do you need redundancy of any kind?

Is this allowed by your ISP or will it be a closed network?

What are you doing for security and to ensure that hackers are not targeting your clientbase and infrastructure?

Do you expect people to pay for it?

How much do you expect to get paid for this (via ad revenue, user payments, tax incentives, donations etc - and will that be enough to keep this running and pay for power, development of your app and your broadcast) and will that be enough for you to get food on the table every day?

How are you going to plan the radio frequency usage of your network so you are not overlapping your own channels?

What is the RF noisefloor like in the area?

Does your local municipality allow visible accesspoints to be mounted to buildings or poles?

What local laws are there in place for public access networks?

If your business plan has a viable solution for all of the above, I'd say call Ubiquiti or Meraki (Cisco) up and have a chat with them about the project - or call a local company that have experience with these kinds of installs - they will most likely also be able to give you a cost of purchase and a cost of operation :) 

As the other poster stated, this really isn't something that you can do independently.  You will require the complete cooperation of the owners of the building to do it properly/professionally.  You will need commercial grade Internet access (as it is most assuredely against the ToS of a residential Internet connection to 'share' it amongst everyone with WiFi, even if you charge for doing so). 

I don't know where you are, and what the licensing regime is, but if you can't build all that infrastructure you might want to consider 4G LTE instead and have your clients buy 4G LTE equipment for access.

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

As the other poster stated, this really isn't something that you can do independently.  You will require the complete cooperation of the owners of the building to do it properly/professionally.  You will need commercial grade Internet access (as it is most assuredely against the ToS of a residential Internet connection to 'share' it amongst everyone with WiFi, even if you charge for doing so). 

I don't know where you are, and what the licensing regime is, but if you can't build all that infrastructure you might want to consider 4G LTE instead and have your clients buy 4G LTE equipment for access.

He would not have control over the network if they use a LTE carrier - which it sounds like he need to be able to push content to his clients... 

5 minutes ago, InVis said:

He would not have control over the network if they use a LTE carrier - which it sounds like he need to be able to push content to his clients... 

No, I was referring to actually building a LTE network (albeit of only a cell or two), issuing his customers SIM cards.  1 base station can cover a pretty large area (as opposed to hundreds of WiFi access points needed to cover the same area), and startup costs are most likely far less than WiFi.

Of course such a system would be shared, while there is spatial multiplexing available with WiFi, particularly the 5GHz variety which doesn't travel very far.

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

No, I was referring to actually building a LTE network (albeit of only a cell or two), issuing his customer SIM cards.  1 base station can cover a pretty large area (as opposed to hundreds of WiFi access points needed to cover the same area), and startup costs are most likely far less than WiFi.

Of course such a system would be shared, while there is spatial multiplexing available with WiFi, particularly the 5GHz variety which doesn't travel very far.

From the name of OP, it seems like he is from India or maybe the Philippines - i know that Telenor is operating in India and mobile frequencies outside the ISM band are licenced there. 

Can't say for the Philippines tho :) 

And maybe he is located somewhere entirely else... 

You would have an easier time doing it via a website or web app, to support that kind of traffic on a network would either take a cooperate grade tower or a shit tone of high grade APs, a good VPN, and probably a commercial agreement with an ISP. 

You could try a large tower, with some bomb ass commercial grade outdoor directional APs in all directions that support a few gigs each to run 2.4 ghz but even that won't supper people outside of a few blocks/miles or in solid buildings.

If you somehow manage to get that to work, you would just need an intranet page that plays the video or music and the app can seek it or pull from it, honestly that would be a piece of cake compared to the network. 

superuser or some other forum may offer more help here, but with projects like this its alot of self help and actually research.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

31 minutes ago, InVis said:

I am pretty sure you will not find ample help here on this forum for a project like this.

I  am not trying to be a buzzkill - I hope all the best for you, but you need to consider this:

Who is going to manage it for your?

How will you ensure QoS?

What will you do when hardware dies or fails or get vandalized or stolen?
What will be your backbone for this?

Do you need redundancy of any kind?

Is this allowed by your ISP or will it be a closed network?

What are you doing for security and to ensure that hackers are not targeting your clientbase and infrastructure?

Do you expect people to pay for it?

How much do you expect to get paid for this (via ad revenue, user payments, tax incentives, donations etc - and will that be enough to keep this running and pay for power, development of your app and your broadcast) and will that be enough for you to get food on the table every day?

How are you going to plan the radio frequency usage of your network so you are not overlapping your own channels?

What is the RF noisefloor like in the area?

Does your local municipality allow visible accesspoints to be mounted to buildings or poles?

What local laws are there in place for public access networks?

If your business plan has a viable solution for all of the above, I'd say call Ubiquiti or Meraki (Cisco) up and have a chat with them about the project - or call a local company that have experience with these kinds of installs - they will most likely also be able to give you a cost of purchase and a cost of operation :) 

Thank you invis.  coming directly to the point .I don't think it will stolen because the property is my own. I don't have any such issue. I'll be paying for my equipment. .I want to provide a free network for everyone. I am from India and at my place I don't have any municipality issues . I have a terrace for my own and can manage the locality if needed. I don't want anything in return . All I want is everyone has to be in my network. All I have to  think about is security and Rf noise .

4 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

You would have an easier time doing it via a website or web app, to support that kind of traffic on a network would either take a cooperate grade tower or a shit tone of high grade APs, a good VPN, and probably a commercial agreement with an ISP. 

You could try a large tower, with some bomb ass commercial grade outdoor directional APs in all directions that support a few gigs each to run 2.4 ghz but even that won't supper people outside of a few blocks/miles or in solid buildings.

If you somehow manage to get that to work, you would just need an intranet page that plays the video or music and the app can seek it or pull from it, honestly that would be a piece of cake compared to the network. 

superuser or some other forum may offer more help here, but with projects like this its alot of self help and actually research.

1 minute ago, Dheeraj Maganti said:

Thank you invis.  coming directly to the point .I don't think it will stolen because the property is my own. I don't have any such issue. I'll be paying for my equipment. .I want to provide a free network for everyone. I am from India and at my place I don't have any municipality issues . I have a terrace for my own and can manage the locality if needed. I don't want anything in return . All I want is everyone has to be in my network. All I have to  think about is security and Rf noise .

Awesome (Y) 

We need more people like you in the world - sharing is caring :) (and good internet can help the community and the commercial growth in an area).

I wish you the best of luck with your project :) 

I would hire a few local experts to help you out with your analysis before you go to far with it - those money are often well spent as they will know what to be aware of in your area :) 

Well you still need a pro to come out. A site survey had to be done to figure out where each access point needs to go. Then you also have to run cabling to those access points. You also need a telecommunications closet it store your networking equipment. Such as modems, Routers and Switches. I took a wireless lans class once upon a time. There is a lot of work that goes in to this. 

As others have said, you need enterprise grade equipment for a project on this scale. Which is going to cost some bucks. Not to mention you will need a switch and other networking equipment. Im not sure about the laws in your country, but here in the States you are required to pull permits and have the work inspected. Then you have to pay someone to do a site survey and install the the stuff. 

Are there any companies around you that maybe do IT consulting? Some one you can pay to at least give you an idea of how many access points and what equipment you actually need and could give you a cost. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, InVis said:

Awesome (Y) 

We need more people like you in the world - sharing is caring :) (and good internet can help the community and the commercial growth in an area).

I wish you the best of luck with your project :) 

I would hire a few local experts to help you out with your analysis before you go to far with it - those money are often well spent as they will know what to be aware of in your area :) 

I want to get people close to the a Network.. I want to build my community.where I can get people together. There are so many good things in my community but all they lack is a source to promote their ideas. I want to create fun community through that network. Maybe it would cost me around 5k - 7k..there is a school beside with no access to data.. I'll talk to the school people and let them host the it data in my storage .

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well you still need a pro to come out. A site survey had to be done to figure out where each access point needs to go. Then you also have to run cabling to those access points. You also need a telecommunications closet it store your networking equipment. Such as modems, Routers and Switches. I took a wireless lans class once upon a time. There is a lot of work that goes in to this. 

As others have said, you need enterprise grade equipment for a project on this scale. Which is going to cost some bucks. Not to mention you will need a switch and other networking equipment. Im not sure about the laws in your country, but here in the States you are required to pull permits and have the work inspected. Then you have to pay someone to do a site survey and install the the stuff. 

Are there any companies around you that maybe do IT consulting? Some one you can pay to at least give you an idea of how many access points and what equipment you actually need and could give you a cost. 

Maybe linus  will help me out.. but anyways I have understood what all I need to do first. I'll do my home work regarding it .. thanks for all the help :)...

2 minutes ago, Dheeraj Maganti said:

I want to get people close to the a Network.. I want to build my community.where I can get people together. There are so many good things in my community but all they lack is a source to promote their ideas. I want to create fun community through that network. Maybe it would cost me around 5k - 7k..there is a school beside with no access to data.. I'll talk to the school people and let them host the it data in my storage .

I have no clue about what such things cost in labor and equipment in India, but I think you really underestimate the cost associated with setting up an enterprise grade network. 

We did an install for Tall Ships Race and that was waaaaaay more expensive than 7k USD. (granted that was scaled for about 10.000 consecutive users, but the backbone cost is still a factor up to 10 access points) 

1 minute ago, InVis said:

I have no clue about what such things cost in labor and equipment in India, but I think you really underestimate the cost associated with setting up an enterprise grade network. 

We did an install for Tall Ships Race and that was waaaaaay more expensive than 7k USD. (granted that was scaled for about 10.000 consecutive users, but the backbone cost is still a factor up to 10 access points) 

10000  users  :D  it would be my dream come true..

4 minutes ago, Dheeraj Maganti said:

10000  users  :D  it would be my dream come true..

-deleted-

If you have line of sight between the APs, you can build out a wireless backbone to a wireless network.  Basically the wireless backbone becomes a mesh network with high-gain antennas (see that video that Linus did on high-gain antennas for point-to-point wifi) feeding omnidirectional antenna access points. 

Its a lot of gear, and you have to certainly have cooperation of the sites involved (to give you power and a location to put the equipment, preferably elevated sufficiently to avoid theft/tampering).  But definitely possible. 

Care to post any pictures, site plans, areal photographs, etc., of just what exactly we're talking about here?  

8 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

If you have line of sight between the APs, you can build out a wireless backbone to a wireless network.  Basically the wireless backbone becomes a mesh network with high-gain antennas (see that video that Linus did on high-gain antennas for point-to-point wifi) feeding omnidirectional antenna access points. 

Its a lot of gear, and you have to certainly have cooperation of the sites involved (to give you power and a location to put the equipment, preferably elevated sufficiently to avoid theft/tampering).  But definitely possible. 

Care to post any pictures, site plans, areal photographs, etc., of just what exactly we're talking about here?  

Will do them.ill attach them in an hour. Thank you for instant replies :)