Headphones and a Sound Card/DAC

Tyranade

You need an E7k or E17 DAC if you want a full solution, and at that price you might as well just get something nicer.

I don't need something that is portable. It will be sat on my desk the entire time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

I don't need something that is portable. It will be sat on my desk the entire time.

What I'm saying is, the E9k does not include a DAC - it is only an amp. The E7k and E17 work as a DAC for the E9k

What I'm saying is, the E9k does not include a DAC - it is only an amp. The E7k and E17 work as a DAC for the E9k

Ah I see. That other Dac that was suggested for the 250 Ohm headphones is too expensive for me. So is there any DAC Amp Combo that can Drive 250 Ohm headphones on Amazon.co.uk?

The only one I can seem to find the the Olympus E10 :/.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

Ah I see. That other Dac that was suggested for the 250 Ohm headphones is too expensive for me. So is there any DAC Amp Combo that can Drive 250 Ohm headphones on Amazon.co.uk?

The E10 is too expensive? It's 61 pounds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005VO7LG6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1M5ET0Q6J4GJVWXGEYTR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418448347&pf_rd_i=468294

100 GBP is roughly $175.

With shipping the o2 amp is $137.98 USD

100 GBP is roughly $175.

With shipping the o2 amp is $137.98 USD

Do you have the link to that?

I wasn't talking about the E10. But as mentioned earlier the E10 is only USB powered so I am not sure if it will be able to do it.

CPU-Z Validation

Is that also a DAC and an Amplifier? Because I want a DAC and Amp Combo thingy Like the E10.

CPU-Z Validation

Is that also a DAC and an Amplifier? Because I want a DAC and Amp Combo thingy Like the E10.

No, it's just an amp. You don't need a DAC.

No, it's just an amp. You don't need a DAC.

Okay. Well I have 2 questions.

1) Why would I not need a DAC?

2) How would I hook the Amplifier up to my PC I can't seem to find how it hooks up on the website.

CPU-Z Validation

Okay. Well I have 2 questions.

1) Why would I not need a DAC?

2) How would I hook the Amplifier up to my PC I can't seem to find how it hooks up on the website.

The on-board DAC with your motherboard is good enough, it's not worth upgrading.

You would connect it with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect cable.

http://inspectusa.com/images/cable_35mm-35mm-stereo.jpg

You can get them for a few dollars.

The on-board DAC with your motherboard is good enough, it's not worth upgrading.

You would connect it with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect cable.

http://inspectusa.com/images/cable_35mm-35mm-stereo.jpg

You can get them for a few dollars.

Okay. And will I need to do anything to it to get the best listening experience from the DT990 250 Ohm Headphones?

CPU-Z Validation

Okay. And will I need to do anything to it to get the best listening experience from the DT990 250 Ohm Headphones?

Nope, just plug a 3.5mm cable into the back of your motherboard, plug it into the amp, plug your headphones in and you are good to go.

Nope, just plug a 3.5mm cable into the back of your motherboard, plug it into the amp, plug your headphones in and you are good to go.

Awesome. I think when I get to ordering the stuff I will order that. Thanks for your help.

CPU-Z Validation

go for the HIFIMAN HE-300 and as well as the shiit audio magni and modi Amp and DAC

That's probably the worst combo ever.

The he-300's are the most uncomfortable headphones ever, and they sound terrible. Don't get me started on schiit  :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get them for the 250 ohm, I know they say it can go up to 300 ohm headphones, but it only hooks up to USB which doesn't have much power along with it. I know @ShearMe will yell at me for this, but if you want a fiio, get the 80 ohm version.

You don't really need a DAC since your source is pretty good. I would go 990 80ohm with fiio to save some money, or 990 250 ohm with o2 to get better sound/more power.

Well, I listen at about 75-84dB according to my new Radioshack SPL meter so take this with a grain of salt, but I also find that the FiiO E10 is loud enough for me at around 3-4 on it's dial when it drives my Beyerdynamic DT990pros.  I think that 115dB is probably hard to achieve on the E10 with this headphone, but I'm going to go with the audiologist majority opinion and say that amount of volume is potentially damaging to your hearing over an extended period of time.  I think the O2 is definitely a step up, but only on very detailed or sensitive headphones where the E10's flaws become exceedingly apparent.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I've read that part many times. I still do not get the idea that sound cards are a bad thing. Also, Creative driver problems are mostly gone with the newer cards released.

I wasn't saying that they are bad, I'm saying they don't represent a MEASURABLE or FUNCTIONAL improvement over onboard audio.  I'm trying to be diplomatic and tactful, the FAQ isn't a manifesto to mine or any other relatively extremist opinion on the state of PC audio, but a "sticking to the facts" (journalistic doesn't work anymore -_-) sort of document.  There is no major improvement in your audio in buying a soundcard, and in some ways, it's a step backwards. Period.  You decide if that means it sucks or not.  Maybe you like how it looks or want the Dolby or DTS encoding.

I'd believe your notion that the driver problems were gone if people would quit starting new threads complaining their new soundcard stopped working.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'd believe your notion that the driver problems were gone if people would quit starting new threads complaining their new soundcard stopped working.

I did not say they were gone.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I did not say they were gone.

oh ... MOSTLY.  Well, let me know when it's COMPLETELY, then.

oh ... MOSTLY.  Well, let me know when it's COMPLETELY, then.

Driver problems will not disappear. Everyone is going to have problems with some driver - no matter how well coded it is. It's the nature of computers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Driver problems will not disappear. Everyone is going to have problems with some driver - no matter how well coded it is. It's the nature of computers.

That's different from everyone having some problem with the driver