Prebuilt Product Key

So im trying to reinstall windows on my old prebuilt system so i could put new parts in it. I already made a backup. But when i realized i need a a bootable iso for  windows 7, i went to Microsoft website to look for one i found this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7. They asked me to put a the product key. so i looked around my prebuilt lenovo system and found a small sticker that says Product key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. When I entered the key it said that i the key is from a prebuilt and that i need to contact lenovo. At this point, i don't know what to do (except contacting Lenovo because i doubt there going to give it to me)  

This is the error that showed up.

Screenshot (2).png 

1 minute ago, jslowik said:

What parts did you change?

just the motherboard, cpu and ram 

well you can only use a prebuilt key on the system it came with. i did this yesterday with vista. it had me call a automated thing and it activated the key and worked. but say if you're on the same system but upgraded the motherboard you cant use the key

1 minute ago, Zombert13 said:

thats why, changing the motherboard made it not work, the motherboard stored the info saying that key was for that pc so changing it made it like a different computer 

Just now, Zombert13 said:

The product key would have been an OEM key. OEM keys are tied to that specific computer, and more specifically the motherboard.

Can't use that Windows key with a motherboard other than the original.

changing the motherboard made it like that.

you have to get a different copy now

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

thats why, changing the motherboard made it not work, the motherboard stored the info saying that key was fro that pc 

i done this before on a windows 8.1 and that worked, on that system i reinstaled windows and put it on a new motherboard before useing the windows launcher and the thing worked.

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

changing the motherboard made it like that.

you have to get a different copy now

i didn't do it yet, not unlesss i know it can work

i done this before on a windows 8.1 and that worked, on that system i reinstaled windows and put it on a new motherboard before useing the windows launcher and the thing worked.

well with a OEM copy thats how it works. the motherboard stores the info tying that key to the system. so changing the motherboard is taking that away, see right now if you were to change the motherboard back it would work.

2 minutes ago, jslowik said:

The product key would have been an OEM key. OEM keys are tied to that specific computer, and more specifically the motherboard.

Can't use that Windows key with a motherboard other than the original.

so i could only switch motherboards if i have a copy of windows thats not oem 

That 8.1 copy may have been a full retail copy. That license isn't restricted.

1 minute ago, jslowik said:

That 8.1 copy may have been a full retail copy. That license isn't restricted.

it is a full copy.

Just now, Zombert13 said:

it is a full copy.

you mean 8.1 or 7. because he means retail copy not OEM, OEM is a full copy just not transferable 

4 minutes ago, Zombert13 said:

it is a full copy.

Full retail license are still the full operating system. They can be installed on only one system at a time, but it can be moved to a new computer provided it's uninstalled from the other.

OEM licenses (sometimes called system builder licenses) are again the full operating system, but can only be installed on one system EVER. Generally this is done by a company that builds the computer. These are what you most commonly see on sites like Newegg. They are significantly cheaper, but much more restricted. Technically it's against the terms to use this type of copy on a system you built yourself, but nobody polices that.

1 hour ago, Hamako said:

You can't download Windows 7 ISO's with an OEM key. That's why you are getting that error.

that is what im thinking