old laptop harddrive + sata cable

so several years ago i bought a laptop, since then it died and i kept the harddrive so i could some day try and get anything i wanted off. now that i got a new computer. cant i just hook it up to my current pc and do it? ill need to buy another sata cable, right? the motherboard i bought only came with 2 and im currently using those 2. im fine buying them cause ill need it later anyway. i also have an old chromebook harddrive. i suppose i could do the same to that too?

generally speaking, to buy an external enclosure, if you don´t want to use the hdd further is better, bc windows boot manager could have a problem with the second windows

1 minute ago, lh99 said:

generally speaking, to buy an external enclosure, if you don´t want to use the hdd further is better, bc windows boot manager could have a problem with the second windows

Windows shouldn't have any problems with the second drive, as long as he doesn't boot into the drive.

My native language is C++

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

Windows shouldn't have any problems with the second drive, as long as he doesn't boot into the drive.

had the problem with mine. but the hdd also died shortly after that guess maybe thats the fault

2 minutes ago, Kyle Manning said:

mmm didnt think about that. idk how i would go about not doing that though. would it give me the option when booting the pc to pick which drive to use? my current SSD or the HHD?

Just now, S.S.Dragon said:

mmm didnt think about that. idk how i would go about not doing that though. would it give me the option when booting the pc to pick which drive to use? my current SSD or the HHD?

Ya, just get into your boot menu as your pc boots up, and choose the ssd as a boot option.

My native language is C++

The Chromebook HDD may not be formatted in a filesystem recognizable by a Windows computer.  Not sure what they use, but I'm pretty sure they don't use NTFS or FAT on Chromebooks. 

As far as the old laptop HDD, it should plug right into a SATA connector and SATA power connector. 

Spoiler

yeah im not sure about the chromebook HHD. but honestly how chromebooks works there shouldnt be anything on the HHD i need. as they forced everything to be put on the cloud. but i saved it just incase, and wanted to check it before trashing it

now as for the sata cables i'd need. just any would work? http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?&nolocation=1&categry=32&s=sata+cables 

Yeah actually i just did a couple days ago, found an old laptop hard drive on my teacher's lab and asked if i could keep it for a linux dual boot in my main pc, all i needed was power for it and a sata cable, installed debian and it ran perfectly :D . 

i know you don't need 2 hard drives for a dual boot, i just wanted a dedicated one for linux just to mess around without deleting stuff in accident or messing up the whole hard drive, (its happened b4 #FeelsBadMan Data loss is no joke :/ )