gpu at 60% while Cpu is at 100%

when I play BF4 it shows that my gtx 960 is at 60% while being at 75 degrees celsius

and my i3 4170 is 100% at 60-69 celsius

is this normal?

is there a bottleneck?

100% Bottleneck no doubts at all

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

If your cpu usage is pinned at 100% then yes you will bottleneck your GPU as there are not enough cycles to issue instructions to the GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

first i need a little more information

1. what resolution

2. what frames

3. stock or aftermarket cooler

4. reference or non reference for the gpu

yes that is a bottle neck but the question is is it affecting performance and that is why i am asking 

Ah! Yes my friend! This is what we would like to refer to as a "bottleneck" (as much as I hate that term and think it is WIDELY overused). 

First of all, what kind of cooler is on your 960, because 75 degrees celsius seems pretty hot for only 60% load.

Second, how are you observing this? What program are you using? Are you seeing this on a second monitor or when you tab out of the game?

1 minute ago, millerb415 said:

1. what resolution

2. what frames

playing at 768p

80 fps

stock

an inno 3d gtx 960 herculez x2 oc 2gb?

1 minute ago, millerb415 said:

1. what resolution

2. what frames

2 minutes ago, trag1c said:

If your cpu usage is pinned at 100% then yes you will bottleneck your GPU as there are not enough cycles to issue instructions to the GPU.

3 minutes ago, LynxThe1st said:

100% Bottleneck no doubts at all

whoah hold up! Let's get all the info before we start making conlusions! :P 

1 minute ago, SneakyPancake17 said:

Ah! Yes my friend! This is what we would like to refer to as a "bottleneck" (as much as I hate that term and think it is WIDELY overused). 

First of all, what kind of cooler is on your 960, because 75 degrees celsius seems pretty hot for only 60% load.

Second, how are you observing this? What program are you using? Are you seeing this on a second monitor or when you tab out of the game?

afterburner, the stock cooler that came with the card?

1 minute ago, MiguelitoIV said:

playing at 768p

80 fps

stock

an inno 3d gtx 960 herculez x2 oc 2gb?

afterburner, the stock cooler that came with the card?

Hmm. This does seem like a bottleneck case. Only 80fps seems quite low for a 960 at 768p. I personally have a GTX 760 and average at about 80 at 1080p (of course this could depend on what settings you play at.)

Is it at all possible that this card is thermal throttling?

Just now, SneakyPancake17 said:

There is no more information to be gathered. Although he may not be suffering major issue's there is a bottleneck from his cpu to his gpu as there is simply not enough clock cycles to go around for the various engine subsystems. 100% CPU usage means no more throughput available, it is as simple as that.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

one more thing can your monitor run at higher resolutions but you have to drop it down and

what settings are your running high midd low

1 minute ago, trag1c said:

There is no more information to be gathered. Although he may not be suffering major issue's there is a bottleneck from his cpu to his gpu as there is simply not enough clock cycles to go around for the various engine subsystems. 100% CPU usage means no more throughput available, it is as simple as that.

I'm not saying that there isn't a bottleneck. That is pretty apparent. However, I am saying that he could have other issues than a bottleneck. If his GPU is only at 60% load and reaching 75 degrees celsius, he may have some thermal issues, especially since his card's cooler is fairly beefy for a 960.

7 minutes ago, SneakyPancake17 said:

its not really pinned but it goes from 80% to 905 then 100%. it sticks around that level

7 minutes ago, SneakyPancake17 said:

Hmm. This does seem like a bottleneck case. Only 80fps seems quite low for a 960 at 768p. I personally have a GTX 760 and average at about 80 at 1080p (of course this could depend on what settings you play at.)

Is it at all possible that this card is thermal throttling?

i play at ultra settings at 768p with 80+ frames

Ah I see.

its not really pinned but it goes from 80% to 905 then 100%. it sticks around that level

This does seem like a bottleneck. I noticed your CPU is only a dual core, which can be an issue with some modern games. Also, even if it's not pinned at 100%, the CPU is still working pretty hard. When I play BF4, my CPU only gets up to about 40% load. That being said, I do have a very powerful CPU relative to my GPU.

Take me down to bottleneck city
where the grass is green and performance shitty,

oh will you please take me hooooome

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, SneakyPancake17 said:

Ah I see.

This does seem like a bottleneck. I noticed your CPU is only a dual core, which can be an issue with some modern games. Also, even if it's not pinned at 100%, the CPU is still working pretty hard. When I play BF4, my CPU only gets up to about 40% load. That being said, I do have a very powerful CPU relative to my GPU.

oh ok. what would be the best thing to do? will this bottleneck damage my hardware? is it ok to keep on with this?

and btw, my fan rpm is only at 1500 -1600? does this explain the high temp?

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Take me down to bottleneck city
where the grass is green and performance shitty,

oh will you please take me hooooome

this sucks, i thought an i3 4170 would be great with a 960

10 minutes ago, MiguelitoIV said:

oh ok. what would be the best thing to do? will this bottleneck damage my hardware? is it ok to keep on with this?

and btw, my fan rpm is only at 1500 -1600? does this explain the high temp?

A bottleneck won't damage your hardware, provided that you have adequate CPU cooling. The only issue that could arise would really be that the high CPU load would cause unpleasant temps with something like a stock cooler.

Also, yeah that would probably explain the thermals :P 

11 minutes ago, MiguelitoIV said:

this sucks, i thought an i3 4170 would be great with a 960

Its fine CPU and GPU combo for most titles but with more CPU intensive titles its not that great.

1 minute ago, SneakyPancake17 said:

A bottleneck won't damage your hardware, provided that you have adequate CPU cooling. The only issue that could arise would really be that the high CPU load would cause unpleasant temps with something like a stock cooler.

Also, yeah that would probably explain the thermals :P 

oh ok. my cpu only goes as at 60+ celsius

what would be a safe amount of rpm?

2 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Its fine CPU and GPU combo for most titles but with more CPU intensive titles its not that great.

oh ok, that explains. thanks.

7 minutes ago, MiguelitoIV said:

oh ok. my cpu only goes as at 60+ celsius

what would be a safe amount of rpm?

What you have now for the GPU is probably fine. Pretty much anything below the 80-85 degree mark at max load is ok for a GPU. I like to keep it under 80 :). Also, the lower RPM your fans are, the quieter, so why not. I strapped a CPU cooler onto my GPU because the one it had was really loud xD.

what is the max hz of your monitor if it is less then 80 then even if it is bottlenecking it is not impacting performance at all then why does it matter all the hardware is in safe temps and he is maxing out his game

29 minutes ago, millerb415 said:

what is the max hz of your monitor if it is less then 80 then even if it is bottlenecking it is not impacting performance at all then why does it matter all the hardware is in safe temps and he is maxing out his game

its 60 hz