Looking for very spesific Ultrabook / Tablet / 2in1

Hey there,

been having a bad month of ordering "highend" stuff for 2kish bucks that all turned out to not be worth the money AT ALL.

Needless to say i am getting a little pissed and it seems very hard to find the right product for me. No possible way of testing the hardware locally, we just don't have any stores that offer worthwhile hardware.

Anyways, here is a list of must haves and nice to haves. Please help me out to find the right thing to buy.

• NEEDS to be silent. Used for university. I can not have the fans go all crazy if opening word or a pdf.
  • NEEDS a silent trackpad. Again, can not have a trackpad that does do click sounds
  • NEEDS to have windows on it as i need a full version of Visual Studio and full access to my files.
  • NEEDS to have at least 256gb SSD, 500gb would be better.
  • NEEDS to have a physical keyboard, a type cover would be ok as well if the attached tablet meets all requirements.
  • NEEDS to have 8+ hours of battery life. More obviously better.
  • VERY NICE to have: A touchscreen, prefered with wacom tech for better pens
  • Nice to have: No GPU. Yes, i don't need one. Id rather have less heat and more battery life.

I can not stress the silent part enough. I don't need any crazy performance as i have a beast of a machine at home. What i need is a silent tool for university that i can also use to do the coding i have to do. It absoluty has to shut up in my lessons, even if i run visual studio and have a webpage open.

What i tried up to now:

• MacBookAir, at least nailing all the needed requirements but Windows. I did use one for 3 years and i am quite unhappy about the OS and price for the package. Not being able to install needed Windows programs really kills it. Sadly it prooves to be very hard to find something similar that actually compares.
  • Custom Ultrabook: They seem to always come with wobbly trackpads that drive me nuts and power management usually suck, so it turns loud fast. No luck after 5 differend tries.
  • Surface Book: First unit had an issue with the fans. Replaced with a unit that did not turn the screen on. Did not want to wait another week to test out unit 3, so moved on.

Currend ideas:

Try a Surface Pro, it would fit all my points, at least on paper, i am afraid of that tiny thing going all loud on me as well tho. So much power in tablet that small? Anyone have experience with them?

Some other big companys offer 2in1s in the 1.3-1.5k ish price range that look good on paper. But what product doesn't look good on paper,...

Really needing a new machine soon. Lost for ideas and since i am a student i can't just order all. I have 2k to spend, but i have to wait for the money return if i get some crap again before i can order something else.

I hope someone has some good experience with any product fitting my needs. I can't be the only student that wants to be digital all the time.

9 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Hey there,

been having a bad month of ordering "highend" stuff for 2kish bucks that all turned out to not be worth the money AT ALL.

Needless to say i am getting a little pissed and it seems very hard to find the right product for me. No possible way of testing the hardware locally, we just don't have any stores that offer worthwhile hardware.

Anyways, here is a list of must haves and nice to haves. Please help me out to find the right thing to buy.

• NEEDS to be silent. Used for university. I can not have the fans go all crazy if opening word or a pdf.
  • NEEDS a silent trackpad. Again, can not have a trackpad that does do click sounds
  • NEEDS to have windows on it as i need a full version of Visual Studio and full access to my files.
  • NEEDS to have at least 256gb SSD, 500gb would be better.
  • NEEDS to have a physical keyboard, a type cover would be ok as well if the attached tablet meets all requirements.
  • NEEDS to have 8+ hours of battery life. More obviously better.
  • VERY NICE to have: A touchscreen, prefered with wacom tech for better pens
  • Nice to have: No GPU. Yes, i don't need one. Id rather have less heat and more battery life.

I can not stress the silent part enough. I don't need any crazy performance as i have a beast of a machine at home. What i need is a silent tool for university that i can also use to do the coding i have to do. It absoluty has to shut up in my lessons, even if i run visual studio and have a webpage open.

What i tried up to now:

• MacBookAir, at least nailing all the needed requirements but Windows. I did use one for 3 years and i am quite unhappy about the OS and price for the package. Not being able to install needed Windows programs really kills it. Sadly it prooves to be very hard to find something similar that actually compares.
  • Custom Ultrabook: They seem to always come with wobbly trackpads that drive me nuts and power management usually suck, so it turns loud fast. No luck after 5 differend tries.
  • Surface Book: First unit had an issue with the fans. Replaced with a unit that did not turn the screen on. Did not want to wait another week to test out unit 3, so moved on.

Currend ideas:

Try a Surface Pro, it would fit all my points, at least on paper, i am afraid of that tiny thing going all loud on me as well tho. So much power in tablet that small? Anyone have experience with them?

Some other big companys offer 2in1s in the 1.3-1.5k ish price range that look good on paper. But what product doesn't look good on paper,...

Really needing a new machine soon. Lost for ideas and since i am a student i can't just order all. I have 2k to spend, but i have to wait for the money return if i get some crap again before i can order something else.

I hope someone has some good experience with any product fitting my needs. I can't be the only student that wants to be digital all the time.

Is this good? Also, if you can deal with it get the 1920x1080 one for better battery life and to save a few  dollars. http://www.amazon.com/3200x1800-Touchscreen-Intel-Dual-Core-Professional/dp/B01DPOU2NM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460765021&sr=1-1&keywords=Laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A3012496011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A8080213011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A610553011%7C562240011%7C562241011%7C5446812011%2Cp_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A9521929011

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

1 minute ago, Sentryy said:

Yes, that is a beauty. But a VERY loud beauty. Id love to have it, but i would not be able to open it in any lesson without annoying every person in the room. At least that is what most reviews suggest. :-(

1 minute ago, Rattenmann said:

Yes, that is a beauty. But a VERY loud beauty. Id love to have it, but i would not be able to open it in any lesson without annoying every person in the room. At least that is what most reviews suggest. :-(

Get the i5 one, it kicks off less heat; so it is more quiet.

There is also this : http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX305UA-13-3-Inch-Generation-Titanium/dp/B01BMERZJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460765268&sr=1-1&keywords=ux305

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

a thinkpad yoga 460? A thinkpad normally has really good cooling so the fan spins really slow or not at all when you just are doing word, but the keyboard is a little louder than most keyboard, but it is also the best keyboard you can get for typing.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I am going to try this one next: http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=NTB&id=L5H19EA&opt=ABD

It is a german link, but you can read the specs anyways obviously. The US store does not have the Elite x2 version, but only the slightly older spectre X2. The Elite x2 has the newer USB 3.1 gen 2 c-type, finger print reader, slighly longer battery life... worse cameras (but why would i need a cam on that thing). 

Wonder why the german store ONLY has the elite x2 and the US store ONLY has the spectre x2. I don't mind getting the better version tho ;-)

Hope this thing holds up to my expectations. It is total fanless, so 0db noise. I know it is slower then an i5 chip, but i don't need the power.

The Yoga line does look pretty sexy. The X1 is pretty pricy for the specs tho and the Yoga 460 is "only" a great ultrabook. 

The 2:1 approach is very appealing for me since i am not only a student, but also a tutor for other students. My daily workflow is imrpoved if i have a tablet AND a laptop with me all the time. 

Also none of the Yogas is fanless and i have seen many reviews stating they go all nuts with the fans. The specs look nice on paper tho,...

You can manually disable the fan with TPFanControl under Windows. (or force it to spin at the lowest RPM) From my experience, the fan hardly ever runs though, so I don't think you will need it.