MAD ZEN (mad max themed full mod) - update striped side panel

y2YVqPl.png

Welcome to the beginning of a project I've been wanting to do for a long time! I'm pairing up with @broadbandaddict from OCN to create the mod. The general idea is, "Mad Max style, well used and older, kind of thrown together. A bit of rust is good but no fancy paint and sanded bare metal for most of it. Would be cool to rust it so it looks like it broke in the past. A couple of leaky water lines or something." 

A few of our concept ideas included:

1. Oil filters to cap both ends of the EK reservoir
  2. Lamptron FC10 vacuum tube fan controller
  3. Shower hoses/automotive electrical conduit for cable sleeving
  4. Rusting the steel case
  5. Top of the case will have a functioning engine head block
  6. Green liquid
  7. Combination of UV lights to illuminate the liquid and orange lights to wash the rest of the components
  8. Brushed steel look

So here it begins. The Corsiar C70 will be stripped of paint this weekend by broadbandaddict . I will track down the aesthetics (lighting, motors, engine parts) and start assembling the reservoir and water cooling components. At that point we'll grab some dremels and airbrushes and get to work on the details of the case. 

The components are yet to be determined. 

P.S. we will be a little behind as we're just finishing up the 8k Rackmount Render Server build.

gkSbfBW.png

JJE6PM0.png

UPDATE 4/18/2016

First update of MAD ZEN, thanks for the subs guys. We finished our first stage of exterior concept renderings. We have yet to decide on how to design the radiator "scoops" (sketch up can't handle detailed modeling) but this is the first draft layout of our component positioning. Being a novice in 3D modeling I didn't run the tubing loops either. 

Y2BdhVz.jpg

OYzW7Fi.jpg

What if you oriented the case so it was on its side so it resembled the hood/front end of a car? You could run a big radiator along the front behind a grill and even work in some "headlights". 

I I like the big blower idea, though. Could be a really cool way to incorporate that into a CPU cooler or even just as an I take for a case fan. 

55 minutes ago, aeffertz said:

What if you oriented the case so it was on its side so it resembled the hood/front end of a car? You could run a big radiator along the front behind a grill and even work in some "headlights". 

I I like the big blower idea, though. Could be a really cool way to incorporate that into a CPU cooler or even just as an I take for a case fan. 

I thought about that as well. My friend wanted to make it more like the "engine" of a mad max car rather than a mod reflecting the actual car. So features would include stuff like sparkplug wires running along the panels. We're still trying to decide on a blower for the top or an engine head. 

As for the CPU cooler it will be water cooled. What do you think about the idea of using these

s-l500.jpg

as case lights. They look pretty retro. I was thinking of running them in the top and bottom of the window side. The window will be modded so you won't see that much inside but light leaking would be cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

JJE6PM0.png

We got the radiator sanded yesterday, we are going for a worn, working condition on it. It is an Alphacool Nexxos Monsta 240MM radiator. 

kNJLhn4.jpg

GrzFGfy.jpg

BXMv1vt.jpg

Dell Inspiron 13 7000 | i5 6200U@2.8 - 8GB 1600 - 250GB PM871 - 1080P
Clevo P770ZM-G | i7 4790K@4.2 - 16GB 1866 - 960GB M500 - 980M - G-sync@75Hz
Storage Server | Pentium G3220T@2.6 - 8GB 1600 - 64TB DrivePool - Server 2012 R2
Hyper-V Server | i7 4785T@2.8 - 24GB 1600 - 128GB, 2x500GB SSD - Server 2012 R2

Looks awesome so far ... and I don´t think it will get any worse :D

I think due to more time and budget than at Scrapyard Wars your build will look much better than Luke´s already awesome build. 

6 hours ago, P4LL3R said:

Looks awesome so far ... and I don´t think it will get any worse :D

I think due to more time and budget than at Scrapyard Wars your build will look much better than Luke´s already awesome build. 

Thanks! I hope so fingers crossed ;)

Stripped a few engine parts as well. We ordered the paint stripper for the cases. Apparently the C70 has some REALLY thick paint. 

P9z3vUn.jpg

On 18 april 2016 at 7:22 PM, aeffertz said:

[...]

I agree with you! @clarkmcc you totally should change the build plan but it's up to you. Mounting the case horizontally and then making it look more ''car like''. But as I said it's up to you and I will still enjoy this project weather you do it or not. :) 

On 4/27/2016 at 0:51 AM, Loleo said:

I agree with you! @clarkmcc you totally should change the build plan but it's up to you. Mounting the case horizontally and then making it look more ''car like''. But as I said it's up to you and I will still enjoy this project weather you do it or not. :) 

We will see ;) this is kind of a build where decisions are made as we go on xD we'll keep you posted!

On 4/28/2016 at 6:52 AM, BeardRex said:

That concept.. daaaaamn

Thanks man! I'm excited too O.o

JJE6PM0.png

We've started the case stripping. We're getting a bigger photo booth for a full case pic but in the mean time, here is the stripped side panel!

LS6thvh.jpg

bkIlGZx.jpg

LJZZMc5.jpg

Radiator positioning test

tSosZ3H.jpg