Power Supply For A Test Rig

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
Just now, Parkersykes782 said:

So would you say I should steer clear of the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2  1500w as a contender? 

It's a tad overkill. If it saves you money then go ahead as it's a great PSU but you likely won't need 1500W to power a triple GPU system, for example.

Hello

One Of My  Acquaintances Wants To Build A Test Rig That Can Support Any Possible CPU+Duel Graphics Cards For The Distant Future.

He Has Narrowed It Down To Either The:

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2  1500w

Or The

Corsair RM1000X

I Am More Inclined To The Corsair RM1000X Because It  Is Fully Modular With All Black Sleeved Cables.

However The Cooler Master Silent Pro M2  1500w Has 50% More Available Wattage.

Another Recommendation Is The Corsair HX1000i Which Has The Same Feutures Of The RM100X , But Fully Modular And More Efficient.

This Power Supply Will Be On Almost Indefinitely, Benchmarking And Running Torture Tests.

Before Anyone Goes Ahead And Correctly Says, "No One Needs Such A Big Power Supply".

Most Consumers Don't Need More Than A Decent 850W Power Supply, However This Will Be Used To Test The Latest And Greatest CPU's And Duel GPU's, And Do So For A Long TIme.

Hence My Question, Which Power Supply Do You Think He Sould Get?

Regards

If it's a test bench like you sort of hint at then 1200W + is a good amount. There's some speculation that the next generation of Nvidia graphics cards are going to be the next Fermi (Thermi :P). I'd suggest getting whatever EVGA is available for around that wattage from the GS/G2/GQ lineup, but the Corsair RMx/RMi are good too.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

If it's a test bench like you sort of hint at then 1200W + is a good amount. There's some speculation that the next generation of Nvidia graphics cards are going to be the next Fermi (Thermi :P). I'd suggest getting whatever EVGA is available for around that wattage from the GS/G2/GQ lineup, but the Corsair RMx/RMi are good too.

So would you say I should steer clear of the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2  1500w as a contender? 

Just now, Parkersykes782 said:

It's a tad overkill. If it saves you money then go ahead as it's a great PSU but you likely won't need 1500W to power a triple GPU system, for example.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||