Need help choosing a router.

Waldo226

My mom and her boyfriend are about to move in together (and all of us kids are too), effectively doubling the people that will be using the wifi. 

I'm looking for a router that's not too cheap, but not too expensive (let's go around $200), one that can give good strength wifi to a three story small-ish house, including the cement walled basement.

Any suggestions?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Get wireless APs like the Ubiquiti UniFi APs and place them around the house. You will not find a wireless router that will be effective in a 3 story house (with a basement) without adding additional hardware (repeaters/APs). At least I've never seen it done and I've seen network technicians spend a lot more money trying to make it work than the cost of 3 UniFi APs.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Get wireless APs like the Ubiquiti UniFi APs and place them around the house. You will not find a wireless router that will be effective in a 3 story house without adding additional hardware (repeaters/APs).

Pretty much

What I think (for accessability) a layout should be

Accesspoint on 2nd floor

Router on ground floor

Another accesspoint but in the basement

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

3 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

If the Asus RT-N56U router that I set up today (2010 vintage) is anything to go by, that should have excellent range.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

If the Asus RT-N56U router that I set up today (2010 vintage) is anything to go by, that should have excellent range.

Yea, look at those badass antennas xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Unless something changed in recent 802.11 revisions, WiFi still can't penetrate cement.

-KuJoe

10 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Not wireless AC and doesn't support 5ghz, (just to make sure you buy a semi-decent router), and it seems it might not have enough throughput for the amount of people going to use the network.

AP's are really the only solution here, as stated by KuJoe.

Just now, Jak1098 said:

Not wireless AC, and it seems it might not have enough throughput for the amount of people going to use the network.

AP's are really the only solution here, as stated by KuJoe.

Yea but its a modem/router that works for me and i have a family of 3 that use the internet all the time.

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Yea but its a modem/router that works for me and i have a family of 3 that use the internet all the time.

Yeah, 3 people. This won't support much more than that.

The correct term is router, not modem/router ;).

Just now, Jak1098 said:

Yeah, 3 people. This won't support much more than that.

The correct term is router, not modem/router ;).

Well i was just making sure lol cus people tend to yell at me when i get the terminology wrong xD.

Im still running a WRT610N gigabit router  that is probably like 8-10 years old now. I run a server off of it and probably pushing tetrabytes of data through it daily, you dont need something beefy.. The wireless range has been able to cover a 3 story house 80'by 120'  perfectly fine. The only problem is that the 5GHz band doesn't reach the opposite side of the house.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t