Best lightweight OS for old computer?

Go to solution Solved by Ben Potter,

Hi,

ChromiumOS is an awesome choice! I would download an image from ArnoldTheBat because he already compiles it and has it working with pretty much all hardware. 

Also, while there are many Linux-based operating systems that claim to be super lightweight, I've found that Debian works the best because of it's amazing comparability with programs, and it uses very little resources to run. You can install Google Chrome on it and mount network drives just fine!

One final option is RemixOS, but it works for select devices. RemixOS is like a desktop version of the Android operating system, and it runs the web browser app, and any app that you could install on your Android phone or tablet, but in a window.

For what you said you would like to use it for, I would suggest ChromiumOS, but the other two would also work great! With Debian, you will not have to worry about compatibility with your hardware at all, while the other two are a little iffy.

Hi, 
I've just been given an old Vista PC and want to put a lightweight OS on it. 

All I want to do is use the internet (YouTube) and browse local and network files, mainly video. 

I've heard chromium is pretty good? Any suggestions would be great :)

Thanks

Any Linux distro is great (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) another suggestion would be RemixOS, which is android-based, and quite fluid. it doesn't have the multitasking of Linux, but has the added benefit of being able to run any android app. :http://www.jide.com/remixos

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Hi,

ChromiumOS is an awesome choice! I would download an image from ArnoldTheBat because he already compiles it and has it working with pretty much all hardware. 

Also, while there are many Linux-based operating systems that claim to be super lightweight, I've found that Debian works the best because of it's amazing comparability with programs, and it uses very little resources to run. You can install Google Chrome on it and mount network drives just fine!

One final option is RemixOS, but it works for select devices. RemixOS is like a desktop version of the Android operating system, and it runs the web browser app, and any app that you could install on your Android phone or tablet, but in a window.

For what you said you would like to use it for, I would suggest ChromiumOS, but the other two would also work great! With Debian, you will not have to worry about compatibility with your hardware at all, while the other two are a little iffy.

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

8 minutes ago, ConnorMacleod95 said:

Hi, 

All I want to do is use the internet (YouTube) and browse local and network files, mainly video. 

Thanks

I use lubuntu in my dell gx270

i use lubuntu 32-bit in this one pc from 2004, though you can probably run something more demanding like my personal favorite, xfce mint

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Windows 8.1 or 10 is probably the most lightweight OS of the last 4 OS from Microsoft. 

11 minutes ago, Ben Potter said:

Hi,

Thanks Heaps, sounds awesome :)

20 minutes ago, ConnorMacleod95 said:

Hi, 

Thanks

Go with Linux, be the better person :D

Linux Mint would be a good introduction for you!

13 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

I use lubuntu in my dell gx270

+1 for Lubuntu on old computers

Even Kubuntu works fine on my thinkpad x41 tablet (2005)

Lubuntu runs well even on some 10+ year old computers I've put it on.  It would be a pretty good choice for a lightweight, pretty minimal, no-frills and no-appreciable hassle, and completely free OS.  Being one of the *buntus, it's also one of the more user-friendly ones.  Xubuntu is another choice if you want something a bit more customizeable, look-wise, and a bit more Windows-like as far as interface goes.  It's less lightweight than Lubuntu, but will probably run just as well on all but the oldest machines.

You might even be able to run Linux Mint, which is an extremely solid OS, very polished, and feature-rich.  It's definitely not in the "lightweight" distro category, but it's far from being a heavy resource hog.